PDA

View Full Version : Loading 380 on a Dillon 550B

fatelvis
04-22-2017, 09:57 AM
Relying on my "vast" reloading wisdom, (Lol), I "knew" to use the 9mm shellplate to load the 380ACP. After all, it IS referred to as the 9mm short, right? Long story short, it was an exercise in frustration. Cases not lining up with the sizer die, primer seating would push case out of the shellholder, cases falling over, etc. I loaded 30 cartridges to check function in my PPK. and that was enough! I was ready to call Dillon and ask them to replace this OBVIOUSLY out of spec shellholder, and thought first I might do a little investigating on Google.
Lesson learned.
To save anyone else the frustration I had, use the 223 Rem shellholder when loading the 380ACP. LOL
Have fun loadin' Guys-

David2011
04-22-2017, 11:38 AM
I loaded some.380 on a 550 a few years ago. I keep the conversion information handy and it said to use the .223 shell plate. I had dies on hand so it went pretty easy. Can't say I enjoyed loading .380 though. Fingers too big, cartridges too small.

Greg S
04-22-2017, 11:46 AM
http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/11064-dillon-caliber-conversion-chart/

In the future before you assume, check the shell plate refrence on Brian's Forum. The 223 shell plate is the correct plate to use for 380 ACP, not the 9mm so you might get looked at funny for sending/calling dillon about an out of spec 9mm shell plate because it didn't load 380.

Reread: Ah, poking fun yoself and your vast knowledge. ​Didn't see the PURPLE font.

Murphy
04-22-2017, 11:56 AM
I had to learn that lesson several years back. I wasn't loading on my Dillon though (long story). I wasn't planning on loading more than a few hundred, so a little time at the RCBS Rock Chucker was in order. I too, had thought for decades if you had a 9mm shell holder you were good to go for 380 Auto. Surprise!!!

I did find out my Dillon 9mm expander was the best of the lot for my purpose for belling 380's. I was having the devil of a time with those lil rascals wanting to put a bulge in the case though, never have figured out why though. I know LEE makes a universal expander and was about to order one when I tried my Dillon 9mm expander. Success!

That being said, pretty much anyone who says a 380 auto and a 9mm case are the same thing, hasn't loaded for a 380 auto.

Murphy

sukivel
04-22-2017, 01:27 PM
That's how I find .380 brass. While loading 9 and one pops up and out of the shellplate during priming, I got one!!! I have a smaller akro bin, hanging off my blue akro bin that my loaded rounds fall into, just for .380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatelvis
04-22-2017, 02:26 PM
Murphy, does the 9 mm expander open up the mouth a little more than the 380 expander does? I wish NOE would make the powder through expanders for the Dillon powder measures. (Al are you listening?) lol

sukivel
04-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Murphy, does the 9 mm expander open up the mouth a little more than the 380 expander does? I wish NOE would make the powder through expanders for the Dillon powder measures. (Al are you listening?) lol

He listens, but unfortunately not much on these...he's a busy fellow it seems.