PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
04-22-2017, 07:06 AM
And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.—Acts 2:42 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=1e8ab37279&e=3dd732485b)I was once talking to a friend, who was just starting out in the pastorate, and I told him that people will develop an appetite for what you feed them. If you build a church on programs, then that is what people will have an appetite for. If you build it on entertainment, then that is what people will have an appetite for. If you build it on other things, the same will be true. But if you build it on the teaching of the Word of God, then people will have an appetite for that.

When I am giving a message at my church, one of the sweetest sounds to my ears is the rustle of Bible pages filling the sanctuary.

We read about the birth of the church in Acts 2. In Acts 2:42–47 we read, “And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. . . . And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.”

Here in this passage, we can find four important principles of the early church:

They were a worshiping church.
They were an evangelistic church.
They were a learning church.
They were a loving church.

I was told some time ago that Harvest Christian Fellowship, the church where I am the senior pastor, is among the largest churches in the U.S. That was amazing to me, because we never tried to be a large church—we just wanted to be a strong one.

We felt that if we took care of the quality, then God would take care of the quantity. And that is exactly what has happened. The Lord has “added to the church daily those who [are] being saved.”

BNE
04-22-2017, 07:17 AM
Thank you for these posts.

USMC87
04-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Amen, I agree 100% with the message.

square butte
04-22-2017, 08:17 AM
Appreciate the word this morning rl69 - God Bless

GhostHawk
04-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Well said RL.

buckwheatpaul
04-22-2017, 07:39 PM
rl69 you are 100% correct (If you build it on other things, the same will be true. But if you build it on the teaching of the Word of God, then people will have an appetite for that.) in your post. Too many people go to visit and are not serious about what is said by the pastor.....After all you are only gambling with your soul!

Boaz
04-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Will stand with Paul . Mean what you say . Your on solid ground just refine it , condense it . Understandings will give the answer....your answer .

Blackwater
04-22-2017, 08:58 PM
What a great post. People do indeed come to expect whatever they've historically been given. But the faithful always thirst for greater understanding. Give that to them, and they'll grow, and the church will be strong enough to withstand whatever challenges befall it. And churches DO get challenged! Reminds me of that old saw, "Only the strong survive." There's a lot of Truth in that, and we Christians ought to remember it more often, I think?