PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? One six shooter or two five shooters?

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 07:10 PM
I was dragged into a wonderful dilemma today. A had traded for a pistol that had some YouTube gunsmithing done to it making it unsafe. The gun shop honored it and gave me back everything I had in it. So I had some "gun money" to use up.

I'm thinking about going this:
1) blowing almost the whole was on a Kimber K6s. For those not in "the know", the K6s is a DAO 6 shooter. From Kimber, but Grant Cunningham had allot of input in it. I really respect that guy! I have shot them and know people that actually carry them and love them. No problems. Nice trigger on them too. Three dot sights that you can actually see! Decent hard runner grips. Chambered in 357 Mag as well.
2) getting two 642/442. They are on sale. Would be my summer carry, one on the hip and one in the front cargo pocket. Would have enough to throw a LCRX on the mix IF it gets here on time. My 638 and 637 need a hammerless buddy!
3) one slightly used SP101 for the hip and a 642 for the pocket.

I have a good idea what I'm going to do, just wondered how everyone else would choose.

I do like have a snubbie with a hammer on my hip, and can't believe I'm saying this, and the LCRX looks promising. As would the SP101.

As for shooting a snubbie, it's what I grew up on. I have no problem going around armed with a couple of 5 shot j frames. And I had shot several j Frame until the trigger were smooth. :)

As I look as my "gun room" I notice fewer semis and more revolvers. Guess I'm getting tired of chasing brass! :)

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ndAmendmentNut
04-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Personally I would and actually have gone with two 5 shot j frames. I will only trust my life to the pre-lock or no-lock variants
649-3 (pre lock) and a 340 (no lock) both in 357mag.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/3439c21967cfe7236a13f1943293ef07.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/5ce33a31678a31e86d94a6e99b630d14.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/e465fec7e3c77f993c0399abb997539f.jpg

If I feel like carrying 6 shots I have a few serviceable snub K frames. 19-3 shown on the bottom.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/2ac4428e4e77c8ab5864079b3cfebba6.jpg

The big thing I have against the Kimber is it is DAO. One of the best things about a double action revolver is the option of a beautiful single action trigger. It's also a little big and heavy for pocket carry in my opinion. The alloy framed S&Ws or even the Ruger LCR are better suited for pocket carry.

I do not much care for the SP101. The gun is as heavy and pretty much the same size as six shot models offered by S&W and Colt. To each their own.

rking22
04-20-2017, 08:39 PM
One six shot 38 and a 5 shot of your choice, and change left over. I have seen several tight Colt Cobras recently in the 400$ relm for the pocket. Then a nice M36 for daily shootin. That Kimber ,,, well ,it's a bunch of money for a heavy ish snub. To my mind anyway, I like my 350$ Cobra and bobbed M36. Down side is there aren't a lot of smith's left to work on Colts.

ShooterAZ
04-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Nice grips! Who made those?

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 09:43 PM
rking22, are those great options.

2ndAmendNut, absolutely beautiful revolvers! I have to confess, I love starting threads like these because members share there wheelguns. And they don't disappoint.

SP101 and the K6s are heavy. They are belt guns for me. But they both make actually shooting 357 mags doable.

Are those stocks from Altamount?

CHeatermk3
04-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Yes!
I'd like to know also!

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-20-2017, 10:42 PM
... ;)

Bzcraig
04-20-2017, 10:49 PM
No question here, always two given the circumstances.

TXSlade
04-20-2017, 10:54 PM
I really don't get these hypothetical dilemmas. If I truly feel I need two revolvers where I am going, I might re-assess where I am going.

One revolver is fine for me, usually a 642.

Walkingwolf
04-20-2017, 11:00 PM
When I carry revolvers I carry two six shot.

Here is one of the pairs that get carry sometimes.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t575/Walking_wolf/P1010013_zpszuhg4azj.jpg
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t575/Walking_wolf/Traditions%201873%2044mag%20ser%20E31173_zpsdin119 gf.jpg

OptimusPanda
04-20-2017, 11:05 PM
I'd take option #3 if the sp101 in question is the 4.2" bbl. Otherwise, the pair of jframes.

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 11:28 PM
I really don't get these hypothetical dilemmas. If I truly feel I need two revolvers where I am going, I might re-assess where I am going.

No "what ifs" here.

When carrying a semi, I always carry an extra magazine. Not because I think I would have to reload, but because the odds of losing the one in the weapon or something goes wrong with it or the ammo.

I don't know of any LEO or armed citizen that had to reload due to being out of ammo. But they did have to go to the back up mag due to a malfunction. It was easier to drop the original mag. It's not because of multiple attacking Ninjas, but because of Murphy and his Laws of Life.

As for carrying two snubbies, it's like the second magazine. And like everything 123 stated, it's just easier to go to another weapon instead of the primary one. We aren't talking about carrying two Glock 19s with extra magazines! And there may never be a situation where I need 16 rounds instead of the 15 rounds I have in a magazine. But there may be a need for a sixth round when I just fired my fifth and last round. Much easier to draw another snubbie than to use a "speed strip" or "speed Loader".

But I understand what you posted. It's just that I feel better if I have more than 5 shots at my ready. And not have to fumble a reload.

Lefty.

gtrpickr
04-20-2017, 11:42 PM
Personally I would go for the SP101 and the 642. Those are some nice options you have there.

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 12:20 AM
Personally I would go for the SP101 and the 642. Those are some nice options you have there.

They is a great pair! The only reason the LCRX is in the lead is because it has a hammer and this SP101 version does not. Although not a deal killer, I like my SP101s with a 3" barrel for hip carry.

Drm50
04-21-2017, 02:31 AM

Im with TXSlade, why in the world would you go into a area that you thought it necessary to tote
two belly guns. What area would you go into where you would carry a N frame 44 and a SA ,
about 6lbs of revolvers? Get real.

JBinMN
04-21-2017, 03:14 AM
Interesting conversation/question scenario, with, "What would you do?"..

I think if I were to carry a revolver( and have), and not a semiauto, I don't think it would matter 5 or 6 shot & I would only carry one. I would also tend to try to avoid situations/areas where it would be necessary to use it at all. I live & most of my life have lived rural/semi rural & just don't feel I have the need for anything more, really.

Someone who lives in a city or in the proximity of thugs may have a different viewpoint & I understand this.

If I were spending a lot of time in a situation/area where the possibility of a bad situation happening is greater, then I would likely be considering different options to carry also, like the OP & some of the others here.

I have two thoughts that come to mind...

1) Avoid any situation /area that may create a need to actually pull the weapon(s), and if you do have to deploy it, use it to get the hell away from that area/situation promptly. So, I would carry what "I" thought necessary & not even pause to think about what others think. It is my life( or my family), not theirs... Which leads to...

2) "Walk your own path", & don't worry about what others think of your choice of paths. Also, don't worry about others paths when walking your own... Since, everyone has a different set of abilities & environment to deal with on a daily basis. Those who are asking why one would carry two rather than just one may not have been exposed to the same environment as those who do feel the need to carry two. Some folks don't have a choice in where they have to travel or live, so they have to make decisions on how to safely get themselves through their own particular situation/area. Some folks may not be as comfortable with semiautos or not trust them as much as a wheelgun. It does not really matter to anyone, but the person who wants to protect themselves. If someone wants to be a martial artist(vs OC/CC firearm), does it matter to anyone else if they are versed in Kung Fu, Ju jitsu, or Aikido, etc? Or, even more than one of them? No, and it shouldn't matter to anyone else at what level of expertise someone else has either in their using a firearm or in a martial art like I mentioned as an analogy. So, as I said, I think folks should "walk their own path", & not worry what others think about it, if it is not affecting them.

Interesting topic! Good Luck with your decision, Lefty Red!
:)

P.S. - I too, had to pause a bit, when one of the folks that posted earlier said they carried 2 , plus a boot gun. But, I don't walk that persons path & to be honest... Don't want to need to walk it either if I would have to go armed in such a manner. Be safe & I hope none of ya ever have to use one to defend yourself, or others, let alone more than one.
;)

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-21-2017, 07:30 AM

JBinMN
04-21-2017, 07:54 AM
123.DieselBenz,

Like I was trying to say in the post above, IMO your or anyone elses choice of what/how/etc to carry is your business, not mine,since I don't walk the same path as you do. I have been told enough about Xcntry trucking & some of the places folks have to go, from friends of mine & although I am not a trucker, I have been some places where carrying more than one could be a pretty good idea.

So ya really didn't have to explain to me, although I appreciate it... but maybe some of the others will now understand more than they did before.

Be safe & like I said, I hope ya don't ever have to use one for defense, let alone more than one.
:)

2ndAmendmentNut
04-21-2017, 07:55 AM
Are those stocks from Altamount?

No, they are made by Craig Spegel.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/94032ccf6751664c502c822106a76360.jpg
http://craigspegel.com

Spegel's grips are of the highest quality and the standard grade woods are not much more than Hogue or other factory available grips. The draw back is it can take a while for your name to come up on the list. Give Mr. Spegel a call, he might have what you need available, if not have your name put down on his calling list. Well worth the wait and money.

psweigle
04-21-2017, 08:10 AM
I'm a Ruger guy, sp101 and LCR

bedbugbilly
04-21-2017, 08:14 AM
LOL - Lefty . . when and if facing a dilemma like yours, there would only be one answer to it. I have plenty of guns already so I would take the $$$$ and hand them to my wife and tell her to use if for something she would really like. Our better halves put up with a lot and just think of the smile you would put on her face . . . .

Or . . . you could just buy what you want and when she asks you if it is "new", use the same "stock answer" of . . "Oh, no sweetheart . . . I've had it for a long time." :-)

Good luck in your decision . . . whatever way you go you'll most likely wonder if you should have purchased the others.

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 08:28 AM
LOL - Lefty . . when and if facing a dilemma like yours, there would only be one answer to it. I have plenty of guns already so I would take the $$$$ and hand them to my wife and tell her to use if for something she would really like. Our better halves put up with a lot and just think of the smile you would put on her face . . . .

Or . . . you could just buy what you want and when she asks you if it is "new", use the same "stock answer" of . . "Oh, no sweetheart . . . I've had it for a long time." :-)

Good luck in your decision . . . whatever way you go you'll most likely wonder if you should have purchased the others.

LOL, I would if I got the money cash in hand but I have to use "store credit".

And when I find another bribe, I will remember that! :)

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 08:35 AM

LOL, if I wasn't forced to take "store credit" I would. I'm just glad they are allowing me the full value. And I will remember that response when I find another bride! :)

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 09:04 AM
I was hoping this thread doesn't fall into a "pissing match". But maybe I haven't explained myself.

First of all, I haven't needed a weapon on me for about 47 years of life. Well, not here in the USA or when I wasn't transferring a high risk inmate while on a funeral or court writ. And my small rural area isn't a real crime hub either.

I would like to keep out of dangerous area, I don't go to East St Louis on the weekend dropping money out of my pockets. But that doesn't mean I won't walk into a arm robbery situation at the Circle K while getting a Polar Pop. Or walk into someone in my apartment when I come home. I can't live in a bubble.

And neither do I feel the need to carry two weapons. For me, it makes more sense. My primary weapon, a five/six shot snub, may not be in readily available. Another snub on my weak side pocket may be. And I don't see that as "blood thirsty", just smart. Plus, we are only talking 10/11 rounds total on these two weapons. My G19 has 50% more than that and Noone blinks. But carry two handguns and now you are "Death Wish" wannabes!

And I'm switching over from carrying a semi to revolvers. In the pass two years of legally CC here in IL, I have had more lost magazines and had more malfunctions from my carry semis. So instead of going to a larger semi, I am going to wheelgun. Why? Well, the odds of me actually being in a gunfight is slim, the number of rounds I might have to fire is going to be low, and I have very little malfunctions with a revolver.

Lefty

Guesser
04-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Mine roll this way......1974 Colts; DS & Cobra. 6 in each, standard 38 Special.

charlie b
04-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Well since I carried an SP101 a long time (pancake holster) I would go that route. Why such a heavy gun? Cause I like to shoot my carry gun a lot.

My current guns are both semis.

Reliability? I can't remember the last malfunction I had with factory ammo, or with my reloads. The last malfunctions were with store reloads (wont do that again). Squibs. The auto stuck the bullet in the barrel. The revolver stuck it in the forcing cone. Did I say how much I hate working on a gun with rounds in the cylinder?

FWIW, if I think one gun, mag or cyl is not enough I will be carrying a shotgun or rifle.

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Mine roll this way......1974 Colts; DS & Cobra. 6 in each, standard 38 Special.

Sweet!

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 11:05 AM
I don't think anyone walks out their door thinking, "yep, this is just the amount of gun and ammo I will need today when I get into that gunfight!"

The assumption of some people is crazy!

And I find smaller single stacked 380/9mm malfunction more than their full sized versions. And it mostly has to do with the shooter is holding them. My grip engages more magazine releases on the small carry pistols. To the point I'm constantly checking. To make sure it's locked in the pistol. Same with the slide stop. My larger hands just don't like the small single stacks. So for days when carrying the Baby Glock is not allowed, I'm looking at a snubbie.

NavyVet1959
04-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Well, there are a couple of manufacturers that make 7-shot and 8-shot .357s also... :)

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Well, there are a couple of manufacturers that make 7-shot and 8-shot .357s also... :)

And they are on my radar!!!!
Thinking 327 Plus as my winter carry.
Or 587+ L Comp!

Was looking at the Ruger Redhawk Snub in 357, but at 42oz and $825, it's heavier and as expensive as the 327.

Lefty

NavyVet1959
04-21-2017, 02:33 PM
And they are on my radar!!!!
Thinking 327 Plus as my winter carry.
Or 587+ L Comp!

Was looking at the Ruger Redhawk Snub in 357, but at 42oz and $825, it's heavier and as expensive as the 327.

For the 7-shot models, there's the Taurus 617 (2" barrel, 28.3 oz) and S&W 686 (https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-686) (2.5" barrel, 34.1 oz). I have the 617 and it's ported. I like it and carry it sometimes.

For the 8-shot models, there's the Taurus 608 (4" barrel, 44 oz), S&W 627 (2.62" barrel), S&W 627 Pro (4" barrel), and Ruger has a Redhawk model with a 2.75" barrel.

At 28.3 oz, the Taurus 617 is considerably lighter than that Redhawk you mentioned. :)

I've seen a .327 mag come across Armslist once or twice and have been tempted, but then I start thinking that I don't need yet another caliber to have to reload for and besides, it's not a type of brass that I'm going to be stumbling across in my range pickup very often. I've pretty much convinced myself that I can load a .357 to anything the .327 can do, but it's not possible to do it the other way around.

I'm not that concerned with the weight of a firearm though. The one I carry lately is 40 oz (and then add the weight of 15 rounds of .45ACP).

Walkingwolf
04-21-2017, 02:42 PM
I really like the .32H&R which can be fired in the .327. I paid about $15 for S&W long, and then loaded them to H&R OAL for target. For carry I was lucky to find 100 new starline IIRC for $22, I use for carry. I am pushing those kinda hard, 98 grain WC at 1200fps. But the Vaquero Single Six is not really a cc gun. I OC it with a 352 Rossi.

bouncer50
04-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Why not if want to carry a pair. The Charter arms 44 special. I really do not really care much about the Charter arms to me its a cheaper made then others. But the 44 caliber has good stopping power. Just a little less power then the proven 45 acp. At close range it will stop any thing that walk on two legs.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Why not if want to carry a pair. The Charter arms 44 special. I really do not really care much about the Charter arms to me its a cheaper made then others. But the 44 caliber has good stopping power. Just a little less power then the proven 45 acp. At close range it will stop any thing that walk on two legs.

Not knocking your choice of carry. Just curious, why a 44special over a 357mag? The 357 is readily available in any sized gun that a 44special is. A 357 has more energy and +1 additional round in the cylinder.

9.3X62AL
04-21-2017, 04:53 PM
I can't shoot most 5-shot wheelguns very well, owing to their little bitty grips. Grip sizes large enough to fit my hands get into the size range of I-frame Colt or K/L-frame S&W......so those get the call. Autopistols have advantages in flatness for concealment--ammo capacity--and refill ease. I want it all--including ammo strength. S&W 686 x 4" or Glock 20/Glock 29.

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 05:49 PM
I can't shoot most 5-shot wheelguns very well, owing to their little bitty grips. Grip sizes large enough to fit my hands get into the size range of I-frame Colt or K/L-frame S&W......so those get the call. Autopistols have advantages in flatness for concealment--ammo capacity--and refill ease. I want it all--including ammo strength. S&W 686 x 4" or Glock 20/Glock 29.

Can't argue with that! One reason I like full sized handguns.

But I can shoot the snubbies with the small boot grips pretty good. Lucky I guess, or was it those hundred of rounds. :)

bouncer50
04-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Not knocking your choice of carry. Just curious, why a 44special over a 357mag? The 357 is readily available in any sized gun that a 44special is. A 357 has more energy and +1 additional round in the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk The 357 is a great round but in a short barrel gun it has a big muzzle flash. The 44 special and the 45acp 45 long Colt 45 Webley with a heavy weight bullet. Has a proven history of stopping power. And they have a lower muzzle flash. Some times you might have to shoot at night. And the 357 will lite up the dark night.

Whiterabbit
04-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Gotta be honest. From skimming the discussion, it seems like you already have an SP101, have plenty of experience with the S&W, probably own one or more.

I think you are best served going with a new product, and that's the Kimber.

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2017, 08:03 PM
DANG IT! Lefty - That's a conundrum !

I'm a dedicated snub-nose revolver fan and have been playing in that sandbox for many, many years.

I'll start with saying that any snubnose revolver with a hammer spur is out of the running for actual carry. So the SP101 with a hammer is out.

The Kimber DAO 6 shot steel revolver is very intriguing and would probably be my choice just to try it out.

However, the TWO lightweight DAO J-frames would be very tempting.

If I had a DAO lightweight J-frame already I might be pushed towards the Kimber just to try it out.

Petrol & Powder
04-21-2017, 08:16 PM
And BTW, capacity is not the deciding factor.

The Kimber is stainless steel (a plus in my book), DAO and looks to be about the modern day equivalent of a Detective Special without the hammer spur and a bit stronger. And it has decent sights.

The Kimber is too much money but if I already had a lightweight DAO J-frame, I might want to try one out.

9.3X62AL
04-21-2017, 08:35 PM
We agonize over minutae at length, sometimes. Those boot grips might work OK in my hands with a small/light snubgun, but after close to 800 rounds through the Glock 29 I believe I have found my Little Gun. Most of the commercial 180 grain loads that claim 1140 FPS from 5" barrels give about 1050 FPS from the G29. Comparitively, my old shop's carry load in 40 S&W (WWB 180 JHPs) give about 950 from a Glock 22--910 from the Glock 23--and about 860 FPS from the G27 sub-compact. I like getting 190 FPS more from each shot, with only slight weight and dimensional upticks. The Pearce magazine baseplates are a BIG help holding on to that little monster in recoil, too.

My 2-gun rig would be the Glock 20 and 29. Spare mags for the 20 fit the 29. I do like the 10mm, very much.

Petrol & Powder
04-22-2017, 09:02 AM
We do agonize over minutiae, often more than we should. Many years ago I was wandering around the metaphorical forest in my search for a concealed carry weapon when I finally decided to land the plane. I went with the DAO snubnose revolver and didn't look back. However, had I made that decision even a few years later, I may have selected a pistol instead.

It's important to remember that even as late as the mid 1990's, the world of small pistols was very limited. Most truly concealable pistols maxed out at .380 Auto. The smallest 9mm pistol was probably the H&K P7 or PSP and they weren't common, affordable or even all that small. You then stepped up to .45 ACP and the only thing smaller than a Commander was a Detonics or an Officers Model.

There was a revolution of sorts in the mid 1990's and I hate to say it but, the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban that restricted magazine capacity may have at least been a catalyst to the development of small pistols. We now have small concealable pistols chambered in cartridges such as 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP and even 10mm !
That Glock Model 29 that 9.3x62AL speaks of was introduced in 1997. And AL, for the record, that gun is a little monster ! You're a better man than I.

After all of these years the DAO Snubnose revolver is still a very credible self-defense tool. I find it interesting that even in today's world populated with some excellent sub-compact pistols, there's a growing market for the snubnose revolver. The introduction of the Kimber K6S is exciting. It's a 6 round, .357 mag, DAO revolver with decent sights. Yea, it's pricey and a little heavy but it's still interesting.

S&W offers a huge selection of J-frames.

Colt introduced a new stainless steel revolver and rekindled the "Cobra" model name. The price needs to come down and the hammer spur would need to go before I would consider it. I don't know how long Colt is going to live but at least there's something new coming out of Hartford.

Ruger has a line of snubnose revolvers.

I really wish S&W could make a lightweight K-frame in 38 Special, like the old model 12. The Niteguard series was a decent try but S&W just couldn't hit the price point to make that work.

Interesting times !!

Lefty Red
04-22-2017, 12:53 PM
My current CCW is a Baby Glock, G33. I have a 40SW barrel and mags and just ordered a 9mm conversion barrel to complete the set. The Baby Glocks are the ONLY Compact (that I have found) that I done accidentally drop a mag (Gen4 with reversed mag release) and engaged the slide stop. But I do have high hopes for 2.0 M&P when the compacts come out. And a shout out for the Compact SA XD series.

The Walther PPS M2 is awesome! I liked it better than the G43, and carried the G43 for awhile! But like the Shield, I just couldn't hit with it like the double stacks.

And the Glock 30/29 is a force to be tamed! I like them! I'm more accurate with the G29 then I am with the G30.

Price wise, the Kimber isn't that much more than a SW640 or 60 PC snubbie. Or even a Ruger SP101.
1) Sp101 runs $540 New here.
2) SW PC 640/60 runs $625 new.
3) Kimber K6S is $750.
What do you get for that $125-$210?
And extra round, no MIM parts, and replaceable sights. Plus it's the same weight as the SW steel framed snubbies and lighter than the Ruger SP101. Thickness is just a tad (science term) thicker than the SW and thinner than the Ruger.

I have shot a K6S. Retired Trooper let me shot his yesterday. Was a great trigger, very smooth DA. Able to stage the trigger as well. Really leaning toward it! Plus the K6S's gearing is just a beefed upped SW on the inside. The gunsmith I go to says it's built like a tank and well fitted.

Yeah, there is no perfect carry pistol. But some are better choices than others. :)

Lefty

Petrol & Powder
04-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Lefty, if we were playing poker I'd bet my wallet that you've already picked the Kimber [smilie=1:.....

Please keep us informed.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-22-2017, 01:24 PM
t ...

Petrol & Powder
04-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Well I wasn't going to come right out and ask him to be a guinea pig but -- YES ! Buy the Kimber ! ;-)

Outpost75
04-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Good thread and interesting discussion.

For me the answer has always been a light-weight and compact gun of adequate power to carry all the time, which will not get left behind because it is a bit heavy, bulky, or inconvenient. I want low-profile, deep cover concealment and firearm(s) which can be drawn easily from concealment, instinctively pointed and fired immediately without having to manipulate a safety lever, from a reinforced IWB holster which permits one-hand reholstering. Those must-haves cannot be compromised.

I am an old wheelgun guy and am fine with DAO in either revolver or autopistol.

I like identical guns in pairs because if a small gun is limited by capacity, the fastest reload is a New York Reload.

I have two Colt .38 D-frames, two J-frame .38s, two Ruger LCPs, two Sig P230s. Depending upon season, clothing and situation I might carry any pair, almost always in the same caliber, but not always the same model. The LCP is my most common summer backup, while I generally prefer the SIG as primary. In cool weather when wearing a coat I will usually carry two P230s, but a .38 revolver is year-round always in the Get Home Bag.

I like to have a gun each accessible to strong hand and weak hand. I carry 135-grain Speer Gold Dot Short-Barrel load in .38 Special and Remington 102-grain Golden Saber Ultimate Defense in the .380. If I really need something larger than a .380 or .38 Special, I have royally screwed up and hopefully can reach the 12-ga. pump gun in the car...

9.3X62AL
04-22-2017, 05:44 PM
This is very subjective, but I shoot a lot better with the Little Monster Glock 29 than with any of the J-frame 357 Mags. The Ruger SP-101 (A GREAT WHEELGUN) is about a subjective "dead heat" for me recoil-wise with 158 grain SAAMI-level 357 loads, but full-up the Glock holds 11 rounds to the Ruger's 5.

I don't fire the old Norma-level 10mm loads (200 grainers @ 1200 FPS) in any of the Glocks. I figure that any load capable of breaking a 1911A1 frame would likely be ungood for a polymer receiver. 10mm loads come in 3 load levels commercially--the Norma full-value mentioned above, a Federal load running a 180 grainer to 1030 FPS (just a notch above 40 Short & weak), and the most commonly-found loads that run 180 JHPs to about 1125-1150 FPS. These last loads--I call them "The 7/8 Midpointers"--are what my Glocks get fed, or a handload that closely duplicates same. In the G29, they are manageable--but surely aren't 38 wadcutters.

Lefty Red
04-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Is it bad that I just ordered a couple of holsters for it? LOL

I did put a 642 in layaway. At that price, I couldn't past it up. Besides, the last 642 I had I wore out from shooting so many BUG courses. My 638 is my favorite pocket pistol, but everyone needs a 442/642 as well.

The K6s has been out for about a year and the few they some shooters here have are shooters! I think the "haters" online is just brand bashing, but then Kimber has earned some if it with the poor quality control in the Mirco and 1911 lines lately.

I'm really hoping more companies come back out with 6 shooters. Like some of us have noted, the LCR would be a prefect platform for one. As would be the SP101.

So the price is the only real "problem" I see with the K6s. But then when you look SW PC pistols, they are right there! A solid billet of steel and forged frames cost more than casted. They are also thinner and lighter.

But thinking the K6s will fill a hole in my CCW rotation, replacing my single stacked 9mms. Because I can carry a wheel gun and it disappears, where a G19 sized pistol will print under a t shirt.

Also, if no one hasn't, the Desantis Intruder/Invader is awesome for IWB carry! I prefer the leather backed Intruder over the neoprene backed Invader, but have both.

I pick it up Monday, so either Tuesday or Monday evening should have a range report!

Lefty

FergusonTO35
04-22-2017, 08:16 PM
This may sound like a "low rent" option, but I have a Rossi 461 and love it. The 461 is a six shot .357 the same size and weight as an SP-101. Mine has a 3" tube, Pachmayr Compac Grips, and a waaayyyy better trigger pull than the SP-101 I used to have. Only paid $230.00 for it in like new condition.

I carry my Glock 42 in an Intruder, most comfortable IWB I have ever tried.

Lefty Red
04-22-2017, 08:17 PM
This is very subjective, but I shoot a lot better with the Little Monster Glock 29 than with any of the J-frame 357 Mags. The Ruger SP-101 (A GREAT WHEELGUN) is about a subjective "dead heat" for me recoil-wise with 158 grain SAAMI-level 357 loads, but full-up the Glock holds 11 rounds to the Ruger's 5.

I don't fire the old Norma-level 10mm loads (200 grainers @ 1200 FPS) in any of the Glocks. I figure that any load capable of breaking a 1911A1 frame would likely be ungood for a polymer receiver. 10mm loads come in 3 load levels commercially--the Norma full-value mentioned above, a Federal load running a 180 grainer to 1030 FPS (just a notch above 40 Short & weak), and the most commonly-found loads that run 180 JHPs to about 1125-1150 FPS. These last loads--I call them "The 7/8 Midpointers"--are what my Glocks get fed, or a handload that closely duplicates same. In the G29, they are manageable--but surely aren't 38 wadcutters.

I completely agree! The larger pistol gives you a larger area to disperse the recoil and muzzle rise. But the power the 10mm has is just sobering!

But I find myself grabbing a snubbie loaded with three rounds of +P 38s, followed by two rounds of 357 Mag Golden Sabers in my 3" SP101.

Lefty

NavyVet1959
04-23-2017, 12:11 AM

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/lee-tl410-210-swc-resized-10mm-loaded-320w.jpg

"Go big... or go home..."

Petrol & Powder
04-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Is it bad that I just ordered a couple of holsters for it? LOL

I did put a 642 in layaway. At that price, I couldn't past it up. Besides, the last 642 I had I wore out from shooting so many BUG courses. My 638 is my favorite pocket pistol, but everyone needs a 442/642 as well.

The K6s has been out for about a year and the few they some shooters here have are shooters! I think the "haters" online is just brand bashing, but then Kimber has earned some if it with the poor quality control in the Mirco and 1911 lines lately.

I'm really hoping more companies come back out with 6 shooters. Like some of us have noted, the LCR would be a prefect platform for one. As would be the SP101.

So the price is the only real "problem" I see with the K6s. But then when you look SW PC pistols, they are right there! A solid billet of steel and forged frames cost more than casted. They are also thinner and lighter.

But thinking the K6s will fill a hole in my CCW rotation, replacing my single stacked 9mms. Because I can carry a wheel gun and it disappears, where a G19 sized pistol will print under a t shirt.

Also, if no one hasn't, the Desantis Intruder/Invader is awesome for IWB carry! I prefer the leather backed Intruder over the neoprene backed Invader, but have both.

I pick it up Monday, so either Tuesday or Monday evening should have a range report!

Lefty

Sounds like a winner.

charlie b
04-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Where do you guys live that you can CC with more than one pistol? Or is it just NM that is backwards and restricts it to one weapon?

dverna
04-23-2017, 11:12 AM

At last someone thinking outside the box. I can carry a Glock 22 easily and have more firepower than two snubbies.

rintinglen
04-23-2017, 12:04 PM
193894A pair and a spare is never a bad thing. I have four others not shown. If I only carry one,it is a Colt. If I go for two, the Smiths get the nod. Were I younger and poorer again, I'd likely see about a Taurus 85. Taurus has the reputation that IME Ruger deserves, but the Model 85's I have seen and shot have all been at least decent, if somewhat rough.

Char-Gar
04-23-2017, 01:14 PM
A carry revolvers is a compromise any way you slice it. It must combine light enough weight to carry, but heavy enough to shoot well. It must also combine short enough to carry, but long enough to see the sights and put the round on target. It must also be short enough to use in close spaces like arms length or in a vehicle.

I have tried several way of reaching this magic combination and some have worked fairly well. Still l am looking for a better choice. To this end, on the way as I type this is a Smith & Wesson 64 (no dash) with a 2" barrel and a round butt. I will ditch the factory wood grips and replace them with a nice set of similar but thinner grips made original Westinghouse micarta and a Tyler T-grip. I have some hopes this will be my nirvana for revolver carry guns. It will be loaded with full charge wadcutters (148 gr WC/3.5/BE) and my reload will be some +P 125 HP Nyclads I have around the house.

9.3X62AL
04-24-2017, 01:41 PM
I made good use of a S&W Model 10 x 2" for the last years of my shop's adherence to the 38 Special/revolver system. It was a good back-up arm to the issued S&W Model 64 x 4"--it could be fed from the same speed-loaders, and I shot the snubgun very well. Pachmayr Compac grips fit my hand nicely. Even better would be a S&W Model 13 or 65 x 3"--I had use of one of these on loan by FBI for a few months, and I REALLY liked the caliber and the platform size and weight. The Ruger SP-101 x 357 x 3-1/8" is almost as good--a bit lighter, and one round less. That Model 13 really called to me.

Char-Gar
04-24-2017, 02:01 PM
I made good use of a S&W Model 10 x 2" for the last years of my shop's adherence to the 38 Special/revolver system. It was a good back-up arm to the issued S&W Model 64 x 4"--it could be fed from the same speed-loaders, and I shot the snubgun very well. Pachmayr Compac grips fit my hand nicely. Even better would be a S&W Model 13 or 65 x 3"--I had use of one of these on loan by FBI for a few months, and I REALLY liked the caliber and the platform size and weight. The Ruger SP-101 x 357 x 3-1/8" is almost as good--a bit lighter, and one round less. That Model 13 really called to me.

I had a 3" Model 65 (SS version of the Model 13). It was a great handgun. I lost it in the Great D-Vorce of 94. I was looking to replace it, without any luck, when I ran across the 2" Model 64 above.

Lefty Red
04-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Thoughts and limited range report on the K6S is in a new thread!

Lefty

Mtnfolk75
04-24-2017, 05:12 PM
I have recently gone to a pair of 9mm LCR's, one in the pocket & the other at 4:00 in a Silver Dollar Pancake. The fastest reload for a 5-shot revolver ... [smilie=s:

Edit: As I've posted in other threads, both of my LCR's wear XS Standard Dot Night Sights and Hogue G10 Grips. Those two upgrades really enhance the shootability of the LCR.

Lefty Red
04-24-2017, 06:43 PM
I have recently gone to a pair of 9mm LCR's, one in the pocket & the other at 4:00 in a Silver Dollar Pancake. The fastest reload for a 5-shot revolver ... [smilie=s:

Edit: As I've posted in other threads, both of my LCR's wear XS Standard Dot Night Sights and Hogue G10 Grips. Those two upgrades really enhance the shootability of the LCR.

What ammo do you shot in them?
My 9mm LCR couldn't get pass three shots before it would jam due to bullets being pulled from the case!

Nice combo BTW! Exactly where I would wear them as well.

Lefty

Lefty Red
04-24-2017, 06:52 PM
At last someone thinking outside the box. I can carry a Glock 22 easily and have more firepower than two snubbies.

deleted response.

Lefty Red
04-26-2017, 01:59 PM
This may sound like a "low rent" option, but I have a Rossi 461 and love it. The 461 is a six shot .357 the same size and weight as an SP-101. Mine has a 3" tube, Pachmayr Compac Grips, and a waaayyyy better trigger pull than the SP-101 I used to have. Only paid $230.00 for it in like new condition.

I carry my Glock 42 in an Intruder, most comfortable IWB I have ever tried.

Oh no! I think the newer run of Taurus snubbies are pretty good. I do miss the black/blue finish they had on them instead of the flat black "paint" that is on them now.

Every time I see a nice Rossi in the show case, it's gone really quick.

The gun shop I had traded in does not carry either Taurus or Rossi. So I was "limited" to the Ruger or SW or Kimber offerings.

I was in a market for an "upgraded" revolver, excellent trigger and replaceable sights and all steel. And I got all my money back from a bad trade so I was "loaded" to do it. I'm in no way a brand snob, although I will be Leary of some. I have guided several new CCWers toward a Taurus 605 or two. Still think it's a Best Buy in the carry area. But when SW are dropping prices on there Airweight series, to around $380-$400, it's hard to suggest a Taurus at $350-$375 now.

Mtnfolk75
04-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Lefty Red, I am carrying the 147 Grain +p HST. I have never experienced any issue with bullet pull in either LCR, both have a combined total of about 1,200 rounds. Ranging from 115 grain Ball and XPB up to the 147 grain in Ball and JHP.

FergusonTO35
04-26-2017, 05:32 PM
You know what's weird? As much as I love my 637 I'm thinking about picking up an LCRX to go with it. Yes, I still maintain that it needs more grip options but the Hogues are functional and I can grind and shape them to my liking. What can I say, I just have a weakness for .38 Special wheelguns!

Lefty Red
04-27-2017, 03:58 AM
Lefty Red, I am carrying the 147 Grain +p HST. I have never experienced any issue with bullet pull in either LCR, both have a combined total of about 1,200 rounds. Ranging from 115 grain Ball and XPB up to the 147 grain in Ball and JHP.

I had high hopes for mine! Still have several items for another LCR, when I get over being "hurt" by it. LOL

I tried everything in mine, from 115 to 147, and couldn't anything to stay together! I even heavily crimped a lot of factory and my reloads with no constant results.

But I see a LCRX in 357 Mag in my future. :)
Unless I get a 38 at a really good price.

Lefty

Lefty Red
04-27-2017, 04:02 AM
You know what's weird? As much as I love my 637 I'm thinking about picking up an LCRX to go with it. Yes, I still maintain that it needs more grip options but the Hogues are functional and I can grind and shape them to my liking. What can I say, I just have a weakness for .38 Special wheelguns!

Don't we all! LOL
I still have a Hi Viz front sight, my favorite IWB holster for the LCR, and speed loaders for the LCR waiting on a LCRX to show up, Hoping for the 357 Mag version.

I can't pocket carry the LCR, maybe in a cargo short pocket, but would feel good with it on my hip.

Even for a set of Hogue G10 grips, blue and black, picked out. :)

Lefty