PDA

View Full Version : Question for California members?

dale2242
04-20-2017, 01:27 PM
A friend and I have been invited to shoot sage rats AKA Belding Ground squirrels on a hay ranch in northern California.
We live in Oregon.
Are we required to have a hunting license to hunt these varmint s on private property?
If we do, what are the license requirements.
It appears the California regs are as complicated as those in Oregon to understand.
Maybe it`s just me but I would your input.....dale

Duckiller
04-20-2017, 03:09 PM
I do believe you do need a California hunting license. Main requirement is lots of money. Our Fish and Wildlife people really like money. Also new huntewrs need to pass a Hunter Safety course. If you have a reasonablely current Oregon hunting license this may suffice. I would check the Cal Fish and Wildlife internet site.

Randy Bohannon
04-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Duckiller has it right, who knows you might need to purchase tags as well.Ex CA resident 10yrs removed.

wildwilly
04-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Yes....a hunting license is required to hunt game and non-game species. And....lead-free ammuntion is required; the exemption is doves and quail until 2019.

Paul_R
04-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Yes....a hunting license is required to hunt game and non-game species. And....lead-free ammuntion is required; the exemption is doves and quail until 2019.

Pretty sure you're mistaken about the lead free ammo requirement unless he's planning on varmint hunting with a shotgun.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting/nonlead-ammunition

varmintpopper
04-21-2017, 12:01 AM
I think You can buy a "short period" out of state CA.hunting lic. and if You can show that You have been in the military or have a hunting Lic. from Your state You can skip the required safety classes. Bring lots of ammo. My S/L and I have been known to shoot as many as 1500 Squirrels in a two day weekend.
the best time to shoot squirrels is after the hay has been mowed or in fields with low vegetation. The squirrels come out of hibernation in about March and disappear in August. It is a fun shoot and worth the effort.

Good Shooting

Lindy

wildwilly
04-21-2017, 03:07 AM
Yes. I stand corrected.

dale2242
04-21-2017, 06:59 AM
I am an Oregon certified Hunter Ed instructor so I have that covered.

I will look into the short term license....dale