PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli question

KenH
04-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Hello All - I've had the "hots" for an 1874 Sharps for a long time... mostly for punching holes in paper, I just want one. My question, are all the Pedersoli rifles the same with different importers? i.e. the one from Dixie Gun Works, Cabela's, Cimarron, etc? I'm especially wondering about one that seems to show "Flintlock ETG. Mass" as the importer. It's a used rifle I've found and has Pedersoli 45-70 stamped on barrel, but also the Flintlock ETG, Mass on barrel.

OTOH, Dixie Gun Works has that $1100 target rifle - I'm sure thinking hard on it also. Does it have Dixie Gun Works stamped on barrel also, or just Pedersoli?

Thanks to all for any info.

Ken H>

John Boy
04-19-2017, 04:58 PM
My question, are all the Pedersoli rifles the same with different importers?
Yes -all made by Pedersoli if the rifle is marked with it's manufacturer ID and wording

Does it have Dixie Gun Works stamped on barrel also, or just Pedersoli?
Call Dixie and ask them - nice folks

Boz330
04-19-2017, 05:31 PM
If it is made by Pedersoli I wouldn't worry about it. The big difference is the finish and wood. Mat finish and straight grained wood shoots as good as fancy wood and high polish at a much higher price. I bought a Hunter special from Cabela's on sale and have taken trophies out to 1000yds with it. It is capable of better scores than I can shoot but it isn't the beauty winner by any stretch. It does get the job done when I do mine.
If it is a good price I would jump on it.

Bob

Bad Ass Wallace
04-19-2017, 06:25 PM
If it is stamped Pedersoli . . . . . . . ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Picture001-2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/Picture001-2.jpg.html)

KenH
04-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all the comments folks - I was just a tad concerned about the "Flintlock ETG, Mass" also stamped on barrel. Just wanted to be sure I could get replacement parts down the road if needed. I've heard some of the Italian manuf's are hard to get replacement parts for.

Thanks again.

Ken H>

marlinman93
04-19-2017, 09:12 PM
I think you'll find a difference in the various Pedersoli built rifles. It wont be in the mechanics or bore, but will be a difference. Pedersoli builds guns for various importers, and to their contract. So some will have lessor wood, or metal finish. Or might have a barrel band instead of a screw and bezel holding the forearm on the barrel. Might be differences in the color case on the receivers, or flat finish on the barrel exterior.
In the past those guns sold under the Pedersoli brand will get a bit more money new and used. But if you simply want a shooter, and looks or resale aren't as important, then those built for others might be a bargain price to buy; especially used.

Hiwall55
04-19-2017, 09:24 PM
I've got one from Dixie, it's marked. It's their silhouette model, was 45-70 but now has a 45-90 chamber , courtesy of a Dave Manson reamer. Also have one from Cimmaron and the wood , fit and finish are much. better.

country gent
04-19-2017, 09:42 PM
I have the pedesoli Long range sharps built for cabellas years ago. Its a heavy rifle at over 13 Lbs. Double set trigger, 34" half round barrel Ive upgraded the sights to a spirit level windgage front sight and soule rear. Decent wood fit and finish on itWhen I bought mine it was on sale for $999.00. Itys 45-70 1-18 twist barrel with the pedersoli chamber. It is a very good performer.

KenH
04-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Marlinman - the resale value sure isn't a consideration. Once I get something I like, it's found a home and very seldom leaves. It will be for my heirs to deal with.

Hiwall55: OK, the Pedersoli from Dixie Gun Works have Dixie Gun Works stamped on them - this is what I'm understanding you to say?

My wife has told me to buy the damn Sharps so I'll quit worrying about it, so I guess I'll be purchasing in the next few days.

OptimusPanda
04-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Not to hijack a thread but do all the pedersolis have a nitro proof? Or are they only back powder proofed?

varsity07840
04-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the comments folks - I was just a tad concerned about the "Flintlock ETG, Mass" also stamped on barrel. Just wanted to be sure I could get replacement parts down the road if needed. I've heard some of the Italian manuf's are hard to get replacement parts for.

Thanks again.

Ken H>

I think you may be looking at Flintlocks Etc. They are a very big importer of Pedersoli products and a good source of parts as well. I've had several good conversations with the owner, Richard Beauchamp.

rfd
04-20-2017, 09:48 AM
without a doubt, the pedersoli line up bpcr sharps and rollers are the best bang fer yer buck$, period. i've had way more than a few of both action types and all are capable of winning any competition. these 19th century designs were meant for real black powder and cast lead bullets. before i saw the "correct light", i loaded my pedi .45-70's and .40-65's with aa5744 and trail boss white powders. they work just fine and with no added stress to the guns. but you really wanna use black powder - SO much easier to load and the cleaning part of both the brass and gun is actually as easy, if not easier that white powder guns. lots about using black powder cartridges is about the right knowledge of what and how to build them and care for them after shooting. by the way, it gets even easier with paper patched bullets than grease groove bullets. ;)

dixie gun works is currently the best price point source for pedi sharps and rollers.

John Boy
04-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to be sure I could get replacement parts down the road if needed.
For any Pedersoli parts ... http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/

KenH
04-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Thanks John Boy - I'll bookmark that place for parts.

Glad to hear that about Flintlocks, etc - Right now I'm looking at two choices, both used. One is the Pedersoli by Flintlock, and other is a Cimarron Billy Dixon 1874 Sharps which is by Armi-Sport. I'm not too sure about the Armi-Sport, and really want a Pedersoli, just because they do seem to have a better reputation. The Billy Dixon sure looks nice and is a tad "fancy" compared to the Flintlock/Pedersoli.... but the reliability and shooting is more important to me than "fancy".

If I don't go with one of those, I'll be getting the $1100 Dixie Gun Works Pedersoli.

Thanks again to all.

bigbore52
04-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Thanks for posting that link John - have bookmarked it also....

Boz330
04-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Dixie Gun Works has Pedersoli parts as well. I broke a firing pin on mine last year and I got the pins from Dixie, everyone else was out at the time. BTW not a bad idea to have an extra firing pin for the 74. Mine broke in the middle of a match, unfortunately when I was doing really well. I now carry one in my shooting box.

Bob

KenH
04-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Just for an update, this morning I ordered the $1100 Pedersoli from Dixie Gun Works this morning. My FFL dealer is emailing his FFL to them today so hopefully I might be getting rifle late this week. I was impressed by shipping charge..... $11.95 shipping on a rifle. I wish I'd asked them how they were shipping - UPS I'd expect, that's how they shipped a Vernier tang sight I ordered last week.

rfd
04-24-2017, 02:12 PM
fine rifle, had one ...

http://i.imgur.com/5mmPvkq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/klAjQTD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zOExiUZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VU9CXe6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wHVXSlK.jpg

KenH
04-24-2017, 09:51 PM
I just hope the one I get looks that good - and I WILL be adding a tang sight. I'm hoping the disk with hole will allow my old eyes to see well enough to shoot without having to resort to a scope.

I just had to know, yes they are shipping via UPS, my FFL's license got there and looks like they'll be shipping tomorrow.... Might even get the rifle by weekend.

Ken H>

rfd
04-24-2017, 10:01 PM
if i may say, best bang for the buck tang is the lee shaver economy, and get his spirit globe front sight, too. the step up from the economy tang is the super grade (that i prefer) it has a multi-aperture hadley peep and a better adjustable base. google up lee, his offerings are quite good and worthy and will save ya $200 to $300 or more on sights for yer new cannon.

roller with super grade tang micrometer soule ...

http://i.imgur.com/QUWJais.jpg

KenH
04-24-2017, 10:57 PM
That's a nice roller! Yes, I agree the Lee Shaver economy Soule sight is perhaps the best bang for the buck - on a Soule sight. I might get one later, but for now will "get by" with a cheaper tang sight swapping between an old Roller and the Sharps.... unless I decide to "really" blow some money and get a set just for the Sharps... which I'll maybe go with the Lee Shaver, even though 99% of my shooting will be on my backyard 50 yd range. On anything less than 100 yds I don't really expect a Soule sight to be required over a standard tang vernier sight.

Ken H.

Don McDowell
04-25-2017, 12:33 AM
Don't cheat yourself and the rifle on sights.http://baldwinsights.com/products-and-pricing

rfd
04-25-2017, 06:11 AM
Don't cheat yourself and the rifle on sights.http://baldwinsights.com/products-and-pricing

kenh doesn't need a baldwin, as neither do lots of other folks "messing around" with bpcr. i wouldn't diss lee shaver's offerings. his super grade + a lee 17a spirit globe front sight are more than capable of running with the higher priced big dogs. but as an "entry level" setup, the lee economy is more than worthy and can be upgraded with a hadley IF need be later on.

Don McDowell
04-25-2017, 08:49 AM
But why buy twice? Much less expensive in the long run to buy quality once and be done with it.
I'm guessing you've never used Baldwin sights?

rfd
04-25-2017, 08:54 AM
But why buy twice? Much less expensive in the long run to buy quality once and be done with it.
I'm guessing you've never used Baldwin sights?

umm, wrong guess, don.

the point is, less expensive doesn't necessarily equate to lesser quality for the intent of the user.

Don McDowell
04-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Wondering why you quit using the Baldwins and went to the Shaver?

rfd
04-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Wondering why you quit using the Baldwins and went to the Shaver?

i never owned a baldwin, but have had good trigger time with one mounted on a custom shiloh and t'other on a custom CPA. no question at all, a baldwin sight is top shelf ... just not needed by the tang sight requirements of all.

Don McDowell
04-25-2017, 09:21 AM
I see.

KenH
04-25-2017, 09:23 AM
"messing around" and intent of the user.

Those comments make very valid points - Let's be honest here, I'm NEVER going to be anything like competitive, and doubt VERY much I'll ever even complete in any contests. Hard to imagine putting as much money in the sights as I did the rifle itself...... well, close anyway.

Just to open and honest here, I just ordered a EP0703 - $110.00 SHARPS TANG AND GLOBE FRONT from Dixie Gun Works to install on one my old Swedish Rollers I've rechambered to 50-70. As mentioned before, I'm looking at the tang sight more for the disk to allow my old eyes to focus on the front sight/target better than it will on the standard barrel type sights.

"IF" the tang sights do allow me to shoot with iron sights ok, I could see ordering the Lee Shaver economy sights - I like the windage adjustment. BUT - let's face it, when shooting less than 200 yds, is the windage adjustment ever actually needed?

Ken H>

rfd
04-25-2017, 09:32 AM
T... BUT - let's face it, when shooting less than 200 yds, is the windage adjustment ever actually needed?

Ken H>

from my perspective, yes, a micrometer soule can be very necessary @ 100 yards let alone 200 yards. but i hear yer point about requiring that rear peep's visual acuity more than anything, and $110 sure beats laying out $325 for an LS economy rear and front sight setup. it's all a matter of what's required for what task.

Don McDowell
04-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Shooting less than 200, there's little need for a "tang" sight of any stripe. By some simple manipulation of the rear sight notch, and shaping on the front sight and adding the occasional sight black when necessary, those barrel sights that came on your rifle will work just fine.
Those tang sights that simply tilt the sight staff to one side or the other will move the elevation at the same time. You will likely need to drill the hole in the eyecup out to a larger hole.

Bent Ramrod
04-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Buying one of these rifles is a lot like buying a computer--you need to know what you want to do with it now and have a pretty good idea of what you will want to do with it in the future.

I never thought I'd get into competition when I bought my first Sharps replica--also a Pedersoli. But the thing is so darn accurate that the progression was inevitable. How's it shoot at 100 yards; man, this thing is wasted at 100 yards, how's it shoot at 300 yards; wow, I'm impressed, how's it shoot at 600 yards; holy cow! I wonder how I'd do with it at those long range Gong shoots the guys have every month...and so on. Fortunately, the thing came with MVA target sights, so I was spared the accumulation of cheap, subpar replica sights while this was going on. N.B.--the cheap sights have very little in the way of resale value; there are too many good iron sights sets on the Used market as us old geezers with failing eyesight move to scopes.

If you really just want an aid to shooting and will confine your shooting to informal paper punching or gong hitting at limited, reproducible ranges, one of the copies of the Sporting tang sight, with the elevation and windage slid up and down, and back and forth, and then the eyecup tightened to set it will be handy, unobtrusive, and more than good enough. You can mark your "there or thereabouts" settings on the sight staff.

It's only when you discover you want to hit centers at various long ranges, in the wind, that you need the repeatable fine adjustments of the target tang sights. Just be sure that this is something you never, ever want to do. You will have the equivalent of a Duesenberg car in your garage with no larger plans for it than to drive the kids to Cub Scouts. Maybe some people can resist the temptation to see what it can do; I couldn't.

KenH
04-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Bent - you're so right, it all depends on what is desired. So far, I've been VERY impressed at what the old Swedish Rolling Block I've got will do. With the oversized bore at .516", and the last couple inches of barrel at muzzle measuring .517" to .518" depending on which way it's measured - and it STILL punches nice round holes in paper in decent sized groups (1" to 1.5" with my fuzzy eyes). Providing the bullet is sized to .518" that is. With a .516" bullet, they tend to hit paper sorta "tipped" leaving an oblong hole in paper at 50 yds.

Don, you're right - working on the standard sights do help, but not as much as a "test" mounted on tang to simulate a tang mounted vernier sight. That allowed the front sight and target to be MUCH clearer and I do think it will help. While I'm under no illusions the $110 set from Dixie Gun Works will come anywhere near competitive quality, I do think they'll do "ok" for 50 to 100 yd shooting.... AND - "IF" I do want better later, that $110 isn't that much.

I'm sure there are some cheaper used sight sets of high quality out there I just wasn't able to find any.

Thank you to all for comments - they are appreciated and I'm constantly learning more about this "old gun" shooting.

Ken H>

Don McDowell
04-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Using a needle file to widen the rear sight notch makes ton's of difference in the sight picture. With the rear sight folded down you'll likely need to file the front sight down to get to poi, at 100.
Good luck with your sight thing. Been shooting these rifles for over a half century.
One thing that always strikes me when these discussion's happen is someone wanting to put an "inexpensive" tang sight on , is sort of akin to a person buying a heavy barreled varmint high-power rifle, and then sticking a walmart prepackaged fixed 4x scope and rings on the thing,,, yeh it'll work , for awhile..

KenH
04-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Just a quick update on my original question for this thread. I did order the Dixie Gun Works $1100 rifle - looks good and am happy with it. Shoots nicely, but really hard to see the sights very good at all.

I just might wind up ordering a set of those Lee Shaver economy tang sights for the Sharps. Got to shoot the Pedersoli tang sights I've got on a 50-70.

Thanks to all the info shared.

Ken H>

KenH
05-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Well, I just talked with Lee and have one of his Lee Shaver economy tang sights ordered. I do REALLY like the size of the hole in his eye cup at .050" - I think I can see thru that one just fine.

Thanks again to all for help and the sharing of knowledge.

Ken H>