PDA

View Full Version : L.C. Smith shotgun......firing pin retaining screws

3006guns
04-19-2017, 12:40 PM
I have an L.C. Smith 12 gauge double hammer shotgun that was a Gunbroker purchase some years back. It's one of the later Hunter versions with steel barrels instead of twist or Damascus but I plan on using it for black powder loads only. Overall condition is good with clean bores, but I noticed something that bothered me.....

With both firing pin retaining screws tight, the firing pins are pushed forward and protrude from the breech face. There is no wear or damage to any of the parts, in fact I think this is the way the gun left the factory years ago. I chambered a couple of primed, not loaded, shells and one came out with slight marks while the other showed definite denting. Not enough to cause a discharge, but.....

So, how to fix? Backing the screws out slightly allowed both pins to retract properly, but how to secure them? I toyed with the idea of something like Loktite, but that would be horrible if the screws had to be removed in the future. Then I got an inspiration. I got some ordinary Teflon plumbing tape, slit a small piece, wrapped it twice around the screw threads and tried them in the gun. Both screws now tighten up nicely right at the position to allow the pins to retract fully and the screws are tight........but still easily removable later.

Some fixes come from the strangest places!

Blackwater
04-19-2017, 02:11 PM
There's a guy in Ga. named Doug Denard, who specializes in redoing and refurbishing old American made doubles for the "Hotlanta yuppie scum," and he's a very, very nice fellow. He should be easily found on the 'net. I called him once about doing some work on my first Elsie, and he was one fine fellow. We talked 45 min. (I guess he was in a talkative mood?) about bird and duck hunting. And everyone I've heard of who's had him do work for them has been praiseful in their comments. He likes to do things the way the original factories did them, and knows these guns inside out. If it were mine, I'd give him a call. That original Elsie of mine was already refinned, but I have one now that's very closely similar to the one my eldest uncle, "de shootinest gennamin" in my family, and I love that old gun. It shows much use, but no abuse, and was well cared for by its previous owner(s). The last time I shot with Uncle Titus, he was 81, and did not miss a single shot the whole day on a dove field! I'll never understand or be able to relate to that kind of shotgun shooting. I'm pretty decent with rifle or pistol, but I'm cross eye dominant, and I think that's at least a major part of my problem. The Elsies had a reputation for tightness of lockup that no other action could match. I'm not sure how totally that applies, but it was what many of the old timers used to say. One fellow had me try to blow into the muzzle and see if any air leaked out. That was impressive, until I tried it with a Stevens 311. The Elsie was tighter, but I'd never really thought about how tight other guns are. Some are tighter than others against the breechface, but .... guns are like people, and vary according to design and how well they've been taken care of. I love the Elsies because of uncle Titus. I sure do miss that man!

3006guns
04-19-2017, 05:18 PM
You've just given me some VERY valuable information.......thank you! Both locks on this gun need professional attention as the hole in the lock plates have worn so that the tumblers are loose. The hammers are tight on the tumblers, but they both wobble a bit so I think the holes should be bushed. In any case, I needed the name of someone who can work on them and now I have it!