PDA

View Full Version : Hornady no more...

TexasGrunt
04-19-2017, 09:55 AM
I've had my Hornady LnL AP for about a decade. There was a lot of down time in that decade so the press has seen about 5k rounds. I set up my Dillon 650 this year. The Dillon is pretty much dedicated to .45 ACP right now. I reload everything else on the Hornady.

With the Dillon I can put cases in the feed tube and start pulling the handle. As long as I keep everything filled and put boolits on the brass it just keeps kicking out round after round.

I realized yesterday, when it took over 2 hours to load 90 rounds of 9mm, that I spend way too much time fiddling with the Hornady. The priming system has given me fits since day one. I've polished, deburred and dry lubed everything. The cam wire is upgraded to the latest and greatest.

On Monday the pin holding the wheel came out of my large primer shuttle. Yesterday the same pin came out of the small primer shuttle. The black plastic piece that holds the shuttle wire has a slight upwards bend to it which causes the cam wire to come out of the socket about every other cycle. I managed to fix that with a heat gun. Lately every time I change a shell plate I have to retime the press.

I had plans to one day pick up a second LnL and have one set up for small primers and the other for large. That's not going to happen. I'll get another 650 and have the small and large primer set up. It's going to cost a bit more to switch everything over to Dillon but it's going to be worth it. Dillon just works.

Reddirt62
04-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Take another big drink of the blue koolaid and know all is well. 😀

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

375supermag
04-19-2017, 11:24 AM
Hi...
I have not been happy with my Hornady LNL since the day I bolted it to my bench.
Doesn't want to maintain cartridge OAL (45ACP)despite constant adjustments.

after my recent health issues, I noticed that it has rusted badly, despite being in a climate-controlled reloading room.
My RCBS equipment, including a very well used RockChucker has never rusted in over 25 years.

I am seriously considering loading this LNL in a box and sending it back to Hornady and switching to Dillon equipment for a progressive press.

dannyd
04-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Everyone is different. Run two LNL's they work fine (I think 55,000 rounds). Owned 550 and sdb they worked to. Blue or red it's all good

Artful
04-19-2017, 12:19 PM
:groner:

I have two Dillons and now want a 650 but would have to dedicate it to one caliber until I can buy more shell plates etc.

dannyd
04-19-2017, 12:39 PM
:groner:

I have two Dillons and now want a 650 but would have to dedicate it to one caliber until I can buy more shell plates etc.

That's what got me into the LNL. I only do 357, 45 and 38 but 14 different bullets. That's a lot of tool heads.

fredj338
04-19-2017, 04:27 PM
I don't think I have ever met someone that traded a 650 for a LNL.

dannyd
04-19-2017, 05:49 PM
And probably never will. But I lived in California it was nice but Florida is better for me. Same with Dillon it's nice but Hornady is better for me.

TexasGrunt
04-19-2017, 07:03 PM
IMHO the weak point of the Hornady is the priming system. If they could make that work it would be a great press. There's been ONE time I've been able to run 100 cases through the system and have the the primer system work 100%.

rockrat
04-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Sounds like the lnl is on par with the old RCBS "green machine" when it comes to the priming system!!:p

castalott
04-19-2017, 07:31 PM
My LNL fed both large and small primers like a champ! After a few rounds, the little nub that kicked the shells out wore and every other one would ride up on top and lock the press up. I really didn't like the bushing system... I gave it away to a service member who I hope is enjoying it......I'm saving nickles now for a 650....

308Jeff
04-19-2017, 07:55 PM
I have two LNL AP's. One works great, the other has timing issues that I haven't worked out yet. That causes a lot of case feeder and loaded round ejection issues, and quite a bit of swearing.

I prime all my rifle by hand just because I prefer it, no issues with small pistol priming on the AP's. Haven't tried any large primer pistol or rifle though.

waarp8nt
04-19-2017, 07:56 PM
I have two L&L presses, bought one new and liked it well enough that I bought a 2nd one used. I have one set up for 40 cal and one set up for 223. From time to time I had ran both the Dillion 650 and 1050 for a commercial caster who sold ammo from his home based business and at gunshows. I think they are all good loaders when properly set up. I liked the L&L system over the tool heads...so my choice was simple. I have yet to have any real issues with my L&L.

blikseme300
04-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Like all tools they have their own quirks. When I upgraded from Lee 1000's I went with the LnL AP and quickly learned that the priming system is quirky. It works perfectly as long as it gets no dirt in it.

About the same time I upgraded to cleaning brass using the STM kit. I still use the 1000's but only to size and deprime before cleaning the brass. With clean brass priming failures are rare on the LnL AP.

Since then I have acquired 3 more AP's as well as 2 ProJectors and a Pro 7. I have also outfitted 2 of the AP's with case collators along with bullet collator and feeders for pistol. Yes, I like Hornady products but I'm not saying they are the best in the market, I'll leave that argument to others.

Carrier
04-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Even with my busted mechanic hands I can easily load 100 rounds of 9 mm in 30 or 40 minutes on my LNL with no case or Bullets feeders. 44 magnum is a bit faster due to larger bullets.

rosewood
04-20-2017, 01:54 PM
At the gun range, I can comfortably shoot 100 9mm rounds in about 10 minutes. Seems like a losing proposition doesn't it?

Wished we could reload as fast as we unload. :) I'll keep reloading though...

I have a 550B and it always works as long as I set it up right. Switching calibers can sometimes take a bit of time, but that is because I do not have all the parts needed to do a switch without readjusting. If I bought extra powder dispensers, I could simplify the process, but so far it isn't worth the extra cost to me just yet. I have gone to using the Lee Autodisk on the dillon for most "bulk" pistol reloading with 9, 40, 45 etc. It simplifies the powder measure, use the same disk, get the same every time without having to adjust. Still use the Dillon for rifle calibers and bigger powder drop loads.

Rosewood

TheCelt
04-20-2017, 06:13 PM
I have the Hornady LNL, a Dillon 550 and a Dillon 650. I agree that the priming system on the LNL needs attention sometimes but it still cranks out ammo at a respectable pace. On the upside the Hornady case activated powder system is the absolute best I've used on a progressive press. Repeatability is superb and I have never had a problem with powder bridging. Dillon powder systems are OK but I have had some issues with some powders (mostly stick powders). I guess ya just have to get used to each machine's quirks and keep an eye on things. They are all a far sight better than loading practice ammo on a single stage press (although precision rifle ammo still gets loaded on the Rockchucker).

Don't give up on your LNL just yet. When you find the "sweet spot" I think you'll like it just fine!

Carrier
04-20-2017, 09:34 PM
I tuned my LNL using the Highboy videos right from new. I never sanded, polished or anything else and the priming system has never given me an issue with small or large primers except one time I didn't have the primer tube pushed into the primer housing body all the way.
If I try cranking the handle as fast as I can then it all goes for ****. But I have found a very good pace that works for me and no issues so far.
One thing I have noticed watching some of the you tube videos is some have their presses mounted on benches that seem to flex. Mine is on a solid 3 inch thick hard wood top 44" by 30" on a metal bench on wheels. the LNL is mounted on the end pointing in and a Rockchucker on the other end. The body of the press is up tight against it and bolted. If there is any flexing I sure can't see it.

308Jeff
04-20-2017, 09:38 PM
I tuned my LNL using the Highboy videos right from new. I never sanded, polished or anything else and the priming system has never given me an issue with small or large primers except one time I didn't have the primer tube pushed into the primer housing body all the way.
If I try cranking the handle as fast as I can then it all goes for ****. But I have found a very good pace that works for me and no issues so far.
One thing I have noticed watching some of the you tube videos is some have their presses mounted on benches that seem to flex. Mine is on a solid 3 inch thick hard wood top 44" by 30" on a metal bench on wheels. the LNL is mounted on the end pointing in and a Rockchucker on the other end. The body of the press is up tight against it and bolted. If there is any flexing I sure can't see it.

That's probably what I need to do with the one that is giving me trouble. I've also noticed that finding a good pace greatly reduces the problems. Listening to my iPod with ear phones in seems to work especially well. And you're right, a very solid bench/mount makes all the difference. I picked up one of the solid wood top work benches from Sam's Club. Nothing flexes.

LittleLebowski
04-21-2017, 06:56 AM
I don't think I have ever met someone that traded a 650 for a LNL.

No one has :-)

jmorris
04-21-2017, 08:27 AM
The only problem I had with my LNLs was on one of them the powder measure self quick detached. They seemed backwards to me though.

kryogen
04-21-2017, 08:47 PM
what I like with dillon is that nothing gets out of adjustment.
I have loaded close to 2000 rounds this week without re-adjusting anything. It just worked, always, all the time....

308Jeff
04-21-2017, 09:17 PM
It's the same way with the LNL. Once it's dialed, you're done until you change calibers.

Carrier
04-22-2017, 12:45 AM
It's the same way with the LNL. Once it's dialed, you're done until you change calibers.

I've done no adjustments to mine since I set it up other than changing calibers as well. However like any machinery there will be adjustments at some point.

Lloyd Smale
04-22-2017, 08:00 AM
I agree with your assement. I bought 2 lnls back when they had a 1000 free bullets. Bullets are long gone and I'm stuck with finiky presses. I ended up setting one up in 223 and one in 45 acp because I shoot those the most. All the rest of my loading is done on my 550. Id gladly swap both of my lnls for one 650. Granted a 650 set up right costs quite a bit more then a lnl but the aggravation of constantly tweaking those lnls in my eyes makes the 650 actually a bargin. Especially if you use it every week to crank out a couple thousand rounds. Some of that aggravation disappears when you do like I did and just set them up for one caliber and tweak them till they run right and just leave them alone. But even then there far from being as reliable as a Dillon be it a square deal, 550 or 650. I consider the two lnls I bought the worse mistake ive made though the years with buying loading gear. Only worse purchases ive ever made was back in the beginning I bought a pro 1000 and a loadmaster. But when I bought those there was no internet experience to steer me away from them and I never claimed to be the sharpest tack in the pack. the loadmaster was given away and the pro 1000 resides at the bottom of my pond!! Been a few times that the lnls almost joined it.
I've had my Hornady LnL AP for about a decade. There was a lot of down time in that decade so the press has seen about 5k rounds. I set up my Dillon 650 this year. The Dillon is pretty much dedicated to .45 ACP right now. I reload everything else on the Hornady.

With the Dillon I can put cases in the feed tube and start pulling the handle. As long as I keep everything filled and put boolits on the brass it just keeps kicking out round after round.

I realized yesterday, when it took over 2 hours to load 90 rounds of 9mm, that I spend way too much time fiddling with the Hornady. The priming system has given me fits since day one. I've polished, deburred and dry lubed everything. The cam wire is upgraded to the latest and greatest.

On Monday the pin holding the wheel came out of my large primer shuttle. Yesterday the same pin came out of the small primer shuttle. The black plastic piece that holds the shuttle wire has a slight upwards bend to it which causes the cam wire to come out of the socket about every other cycle. I managed to fix that with a heat gun. Lately every time I change a shell plate I have to retime the press.

I had plans to one day pick up a second LnL and have one set up for small primers and the other for large. That's not going to happen. I'll get another 650 and have the small and large primer set up. It's going to cost a bit more to switch everything over to Dillon but it's going to be worth it. Dillon just works.

TexasGrunt
04-22-2017, 09:07 AM
I agree with your assement. I bought 2 lnls back when they had a 1000 free bullets. Bullets are long gone and I'm stuck with finiky presses. I ended up setting one up in 223 and one in 45 acp because I shoot those the most. All the rest of my loading is done on my 550. Id gladly swap both of my lnls for one 650. Granted a 650 set up right costs quite a bit more then a lnl but the aggravation of constantly tweaking those lnls in my eyes makes the 650 actually a bargin. Especially if you use it every week to crank out a couple thousand rounds. Some of that aggravation disappears when you do like I did and just set them up for one caliber and tweak them till they run right and just leave them alone. But even then there far from being as reliable as a Dillon be it a square deal, 550 or 650. I consider the two lnls I bought the worse mistake ive made though the years with buying loading gear. Only worse purchases ive ever made was back in the beginning I bought a pro 1000 and a loadmaster. But when I bought those there was no internet experience to steer me away from them and I never claimed to be the sharpest tack in the pack. the loadmaster was given away and the pro 1000 resides at the bottom of my pond!! Been a few times that the lnls almost joined it.

Back when the ONLY thing I loaded on the LnL was .45 ACP I loved that press. But once I got the Dillon and set it up for .45 ACP and started loading .38/.357, .44 Mag, 10mm, 9mm, and .223 on the Hornady I realized it wasn't that great. Sure the die changes are easy and the powder measure is leaps and bounds better than the Dillon, but fiddling with the pawls to get the press timed, fiddling with the primer system to get it to feed and hoping it keeps feeding gets old really quick. I'm also to the point where the ejection system is starting to wear down and ammo is not always ejected.

coatessey
04-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Another LNL user. Set mine up for the most part per highboys video as well and haven't had any issues. I do only reload .45acp and never adjusted the primer feed or pawls.

I have loaded over 1000 rounds and the only issues that I have had was the oal, and the primer feed.

The oal was because I set the oal with only one piece of brass in the press instead of all stations with brass. Once I went back and reset with all stations with brass I have had no issues.

The primer issue was again me. Somehow I had the primer feed tube bevel side up instead of down.

Other than those self induced issues I have had no other hiccups and hope that it remains that way.

Lloyd Smale
04-23-2017, 09:01 AM
get back to us with another assessment when you've done about 50k on it. A 1000 rounds is one session for some of us. Also let us know what you think about it after you swapped three or four calibers back and forth a couple times.
Another LNL user. Set mine up for the most part per highboys video as well and haven't had any issues. I do only reload .45acp and never adjusted the primer feed or pawls.

I have loaded over 1000 rounds and the only issues that I have had was the oal, and the primer feed.

The oal was because I set the oal with only one piece of brass in the press instead of all stations with brass. Once I went back and reset with all stations with brass I have had no issues.

The primer issue was again me. Somehow I had the primer feed tube bevel side up instead of down.

Other than those self induced issues I have had no other hiccups and hope that it remains that way.

dannyd
04-23-2017, 09:10 AM
get back to us with another assessment when you've done about 50k on it. A 1000 rounds is one session for some of us. Also let us know what you think about it after you swapped three or four calibers back and forth a couple times.

I done one that over 70,000 both still work okay.

dverna
04-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Do a YouTube search for Hornady tweaks and Dillon tweaks. The results are interesting and shed some light on the subject. I believe almost anything can be made to work (expect an RCBS Green Machine) but some require more effort, attention and care. I have owned six Dillon presses because I do not enjoy reloading, and I really hate it when I need to fiddle phart around to make ammunition.

dannyd
04-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Do a YouTube search for Hornady tweaks and Dillon tweaks. The results are interesting and shed some light on the subject. I believe almost anything can be made to work (expect an RCBS Green Machine) but some require more effort, attention and care. I have owned six Dillon presses because I do not enjoy reloading, and I really hate it when I need to fiddle phart around to make ammunition.

You are are right on the money. I love handloading and reloading, but think shooting is boring. So I love to work on the equipment. My first Dillion equipment 1988 SDB and 550 1989 took some maintenance too. It's just like I don't do automatic pistols or rifles. To me if you need more than one round you may want to re think your shooting skills.

ole 5 hole group
04-23-2017, 12:56 PM
I have an LnL, my SIL has an LnL and several acquaintances of ours have LnL's and none of us have problems like some of you complain about. I reload 32 mag up to 30-06 cartridges on my LnL and never touch the pawls when changing over shell plates - none of the others do either. The LnL powder measure is second to none. Every now and again I'll have a powder kernel or two on the shell plate - when it comes time to reload the primer tube, I'll also give the shell plate and primer slider a shot of compressed air (from a can) seems to keep everything running as smooth as a hot knife through soft butter.

I think some of you guys are just snake bite, in like, if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.;) Blue or Red - both are great progressives on a solid bench.

Another thing - if by chance you notice a little surface rust on the dies and the progressive - after cleaning it off, give everything a light shot of Hornady one shot lube every 6 months - solves that problem. SIL is set up in his garage, one shot was the cure.

dverna
04-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Dannyd, you make a good point. I had 6 Dillons and a Star at one point and never reloaded rifle ammunition on a progressive. I did not shoot a lot of rifle and my rifle needs were for varmint shooting, a bit of hunting, or just working up accurate loads....so no need for a bazillion rounds. CAS, IPSC, and even Bullseye call for significant production if one wants to reach a high level of competence. Although CAS does not use semi-automatic weapons, I would still go through 400 rounds a week...so reloading was a necessary "chore".

There was a saying in CAS. "Some dress up to shoot....some shoot to dress up"

Reloading and casting are the same. Some reload/cast to shoot....some shoot to reload and cast

One of the mistakes we make is not framing our recommendations when people ask for advice. What many reloaders find acceptable will be marginal for others....their needs and desires differ. The other mistake is the lack of exposure or experience with different machines. It is one reason I heed what guys like Jmorris say.

The LnL is not a bad machine, but there are better options if one wishes fewer issues and cost is not a significant factor.

dannyd
04-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Dannyd, you make a good point. I had 6 Dillons and a Star at one point and never reloaded rifle ammunition on a progressive. I did not shoot a lot of rifle and my rifle needs were for varmint shooting, a bit of hunting, or just working up accurate loads....so no need for a bazillion rounds. CAS, IPSC, and even Bullseye call for significant production if one wants to reach a high level of competence. Although CAS does not use semi-automatic weapons, I would still go through 400 rounds a week...so reloading was a necessary "chore".

There was a saying in CAS. "Some dress up to shoot....some shoot to dress up"

Reloading and casting are the same. Some reload/cast to shoot....some shoot to reload and cast

One of the mistakes we make is not framing our recommendations when people ask for advice. What many reloaders find acceptable will be marginal for others....their needs and desires differ. The other mistake is the lack of exposure or experience with different machines. It is one reason I heed what guys like Jmorris say.

The LnL is not a bad machine, but there are better options if one wishes fewer issues and cost is not a significant factor.

Shot CAS or SASS for three years. Now that is work between driving to match, practice and working the match (picking up brass resetting targets). It was to much work for me :)

coatessey
04-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Will do I realize 1000 rounds is nothing however was stating my experience with the press over the last few months.

I also spray the primer tube and the rest of the press with compressed air after each use and use hornady one shot on the shell plate about once a month.

jmorris
04-25-2017, 08:11 AM
You are are right on the money. I love handloading and reloading, but think shooting is boring. So I love to work on the equipment.

You should be buying Lee progressives.

dannyd
04-25-2017, 08:20 AM
You should be buying Lee progressives.

Had three not bad for starter gear.

HeadLead
04-25-2017, 05:52 PM
The old Red vs Blue battle. I like Lee classic turret, would love a big blue, have a (LNL) and reload just about everything I shoot. The best press for my money is the one I'm loading on (at the time). Reloading is stress relief even if it causes me stress, but it's better with any machine than none at all.

JMTCW.

Lloyd Smale
04-26-2017, 06:47 AM
Yup ive never heard of anyone so frustrated with a 550 or 650 that they sold it and bought a lnl and found it better. I have 3 lnls. I bought them because they were cheap and came with a 1000 free bullets. the bullets are long gone and I'm stuck with the presses. I sold one so I'm down to two. I keep one set up in 223 and one in 44mag and don't ever change them because when I do it takes just to long to get them adjusted right. Biggest flaw in them is the case feeder. A case feeder on a lnl is an add on. A 650 is built right out of the box for a case feeder and it works a 100 percent more reliably. Even the case feeder themselves have been trouble for me. Now granted I load a lot more then the average guy but both of my case feeder motors have given up the ghost. thankfully one thing hornady has going for it is great customer service and a lifetime warrantee. They replaced both with completely new case feeders. Then the timing headache with the lnls. I sold one that wouldn't stay in time for a 1000 round loading session. One of the ones I still have about constantly needs tweeking and defineately needs tweaking every time you change calibers. the other one set up in 223 has been pretty good. I don't remember having to fool with the pawls on that one. Bottom line is I bought caliber conversions to load about everything I load and they sit and collect dust because if I'm going to load something other then 223 or 44 mag I just use my 550. To be honest id bet I can load as much ammo in the same time period on it as I can on a lnl with a case feeder if you factor in all time I fool with machine problems. True bottom line is I don't shoot as much as I did 10 years ago and could get by with just that 550 (a press by the way id NEVER be without)
No one has :-)

Carrier
04-26-2017, 07:56 AM
Not being rude or nothing but I just don't understand it.
I have bought many things in my life that didn't work the way I thought they were suppose to but I sure didn't keep them around to annoy myself.
If this LNL I have starts to do what some say theirs have done or doing its gone whether I loose money or not. Life is just way too short to be aggravated by a piece of metal.

dannyd
04-26-2017, 08:16 AM
I feel for you. I would have gotten rid of the LNL's if I had that much problem. But I have loaded 48,595 and not had any more problems than I did with my 550 (59,832) It's just like the Navy your's may have been great, but mine could not find their butt with both hands.

Lloyd Smale
04-26-2017, 03:20 PM
hard to take the big cut in what you pay for them selling them used and on a fixed income now so its tough coming up with the extra to UPGRADE TO A DILLON.

Carrier
04-26-2017, 06:59 PM
hard to take the big cut in what you pay for them selling them used and on a fixed income now so its tough coming up with the extra to UPGRADE TO A DILLON.

I know exactly how it feels to take a big cut on something when I got rid of it because it didn't do what I thought it would. But in the end it was because I didn't make the right choice. Nobody's fault but mine.
But if one of whatever isn't doing what I think it should then buying two well whats that saying "fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me"

Smk SHoe
04-26-2017, 10:10 PM
Bought a 650 a lot of years ago on a friends recommendation. Used it for years, only complaint was changing from small to large primers. ( just tedious, not hard) So another press was in order, so I got another 650. Yea, it's a real witch on the wallet, but it just works. and customer service is great. My old Battery Commander was learning on the 650 set up for .45 ACP and looked like a monkey and a football. Ended up breaking the advancement ring under the shell plate ( WTH). Five minute call and part was in the mail. Yes, you can make a LNL work, but why hassle with it, lifes to short

dannyd
04-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Bought a 650 a lot of years ago on a friends recommendation. Used it for years, only complaint was changing from small to large primers. ( just tedious, not hard) So another press was in order, so I got another 650. Yea, it's a real witch on the wallet, but it just works. and customer service is great. My old Battery Commander was learning on the 650 set up for .45 ACP and looked like a monkey and a football. Ended up breaking the advancement ring under the shell plate ( WTH). Five minute call and part was in the mail. Yes, you can make a LNL work, but why hassle with it, lifes to short

the first Dillion's took some love and care too. And believe me it's not a hassle for some of us.

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2017, 06:34 AM
anyone want to trade? ;)

coatessey
04-27-2017, 08:46 PM
I'm curious if you have owned a lnl personally?

Lloyd Smale
04-28-2017, 07:08 AM
that's the problem with all of this ****. You for the most part get guys that have only used a Dillon or lnl not both and its a natural instinct to want to defend what you bought. Nobody wants to think they weren't intelligent enough to buy the better of the two. Then you get guys that just cant afford the best and rather then admit that find it easier to bash the better brand to justify what they bought. Ive used both. Ive used both ALOT. Bottom line is the dillion is more expensive and is a better engineered press. Neither are perfect. both have weaknesses but truth be told if you want to load the most ammo with the least amount of tweeking and tinkering and can afford the difference in price your better off going blue.

Smk SHoe
04-28-2017, 07:20 AM

Never had one mounted to MY bench, but I have used them. Everyone Likes what they like. I'm not saying LNL is a piece of junk, I'm saying I like blue and I don't think tinkering with a LNL is worth the time. It's a lot like a 1911, Until you have shot a piece of perfection, you don't know what perfection is. Then once you have shot a 1911, all other handguns get compared to it. ( yes, I'm a little Bias on 1911's and blue) I like what I like

TexasGrunt
04-28-2017, 08:33 AM
that's the problem with all of this ****. You for the most part get guys that have only used a Dillon or lnl not both and its a natural instinct to want to defend what you bought. Nobody wants to think they weren't intelligent enough to buy the better of the two. Then you get guys that just cant afford the best and rather then admit that find it easier to bash the better brand to justify what they bought. Ive used both. Ive used both ALOT. Bottom line is the dillion is more expensive and is a better engineered press. Neither are perfect. both have weaknesses but truth be told if you want to load the most ammo with the least amount of tweeking and tinkering and can afford the difference in price your better off going blue.

I have both, I use both. Blue is better, but much more expensive.

Lloyd Smale
04-28-2017, 02:13 PM
that there is the truth.
I have both, I use both. Blue is better, but much more expensive.

coatessey
04-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Precisely why I offered my experience with only the LNL as I do not have a Dillon yet.

I just got into reloading not too long ago and have read a lot about both, many by people whom haven't owned or used both.

The lnl was definitely more affordable plus a couple of coworkers have had one for years without any issue. I figured even if I didn't like reloading it would be easier to eat the lnl than the dillon. These are the only reasons that I went lnl. Well that the free bullets and the free hornady stool.

I love reloading almost as much as shooting and no doubt will have a Dillon in the future.

dannyd
04-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Precisely why I offered my experience with only the LNL as I do not have a Dillon yet.

I just got into reloading not too long ago and have read a lot about both, many by people whom haven't owned or used both.

The lnl was definitely more affordable plus a couple of coworkers have had one for years without any issue. I figured even if I didn't like reloading it would be easier to eat the lnl than the dillon. These are the only reasons that I went lnl. Well that the free bullets and the free hornady stool.

I love reloading almost as much as shooting and no doubt will have a Dillon in the future.

I love handloading more than shooting. :)

TheCelt
04-28-2017, 05:42 PM
I love handloading more than shooting. :)

Gotta admit there's a real attraction to loading a bunch of cartridges that shoot sub MOA in your gun!!! Ya gotta shoot a LOT to figure out what combination of primer/bullet/powder produces that sub MOA round though. I love shooting BECAUSE I can reload an "as perfect as I can get it" round. A 3 MOA rifle is just no fun to shoot to me. The ability to load "specialty" rounds is a big draw too.

tinsnips
04-28-2017, 05:53 PM
I have both, an I like both brands.I started with a Lee Pro 1000 used it for a long time. If you can keep that thing running fine you can keep either Dillion or Hornaday running fine. Its not rock science . It just takes time to learn how to make anything run smoothly.

dannyd
04-28-2017, 06:07 PM
I have both, an I like both brands.I started with a Lee Pro 1000 used it for a long time. If you can keep that thing running fine you can keep either Dillion or Hornaday running fine. Its not rock science . It just takes time to learn how to make anything run smoothly.

That works for me :)

Drew P
05-01-2017, 12:38 PM
We can co pare the LnL to the 650 all day long but the reality is that the 650 is about 2x the cost of the LnL so the fact that we can even compare them is a statement about the LnL.

TexasGrunt
05-01-2017, 12:49 PM
We can co pare the LnL to the 650 all day long but the reality is that the 650 is about 2x the cost of the LnL so the fact that we can even compare them is a statement about the LnL.

Dillon 650 is $579, case feeder is $265 for a total cost of $844

LnL AP is $475, case feeder is $334 for a total cost of $809

Not sure where ya went to school but in no way does the 650 cost twice what a LnL costs.

L Erie Caster
05-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Dillon 650 is $579, case feeder is $265 for a total cost of $844

LnL AP is $475, case feeder is $334 for a total cost of $809

Not sure where ya went to school but in no way does the 650 cost twice what a LnL costs.

Seams to me that the 650 is just a little bit more $ and not a lot.

km101
05-01-2017, 10:47 PM
I have a 550 and an LnL. I have hand primed everything that I have loaded on the LnL since the primer setup has not worked reliably since it was new. Other than that it works well enough. It has to be re-timed when something jams but that's not too often.

With the 550 I just have to keep adding components. No hand priming necessary, no jamming, just loading ammo.

One day I may get ambitious and upgrade to the 650, but right now I have more time than money, so I will keep crankin' em out with what I have. Presently I would rather spend the money on guns and components.

Carrier
05-02-2017, 05:45 PM
I have a 550 and an LnL. I have hand primed everything that I have loaded on the LnL since the primer setup has not worked reliably since it was new. Other than that it works well enough. It has to be re-timed when something jams but that's not too often.

With the 550 I just have to keep adding components. No hand priming necessary, no jamming, just loading ammo.

One day I may get ambitious and upgrade to the 650, but right now I have more time than money, so I will keep crankin' em out with what I have. Presently I would rather spend the money on guns and components.

Have you really tried to get the priming system to work or contacted Hornady about it? Mine has worked 100%. The large primer tube has just recently started to not sit in the housing tight. Contacted Hornady and they are replacing all the parts for free.

Andy
05-06-2017, 09:13 AM
I haven't used my LNL an extensive amount yet but "76highboy reloading" on youtube has made a bunch of extremely well thought out videos on how to set them up for smooth functioning. Before I even set up the press I took an hour or two and watched all his videos and then watched them again while setting it up and so far everything has worked great. This is my first progressive press and I got it used in poor condition so the videos really worked for me. The guy is one of those people who has a knack for teaching and the videos are very well done with good lighting, clear shots of details etc.

You mentioned having trouble with the priming system and he covers that in great detail in part 2. Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6BfPn5QaiA It sounds like you may possibly have a bent cam wire if it is coming out of the plastic top retainer every other cycling. When I got my lnl (used) the cam wire was bent and I would have thought the system was worthless if I had not rebent it. In retrospect that is probably why the previous owner got rid of it. The exact positioning of the cam wire top retainer (set once and don't change) is absolutely critical to primers feeding correctly, so if your top retainer is moving you'll have frustrating problems I think. The video shows exactly how to set the cam wire position around the 17 minute mark and I would really recommend watching that.

You can view a photo of what the cam wire should look like here: https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/662/662855.jpg
If it has any different bends than that, that's most likely the source of your problem.

I see there are upgraded cam wire top retention brackets on ebay but I haven't used them myself, they are only a few bucks so that's another thing you could try as well.

Best of luck, I'm sure you can get that thing running right after watching the videos and then you'll have another useful press on hand.