PDA

View Full Version : Put together a new long rifle

oldracer
04-18-2017, 03:20 PM
This one is almost an exact copy of one I built 5 years ago (my first build) and on this one I used Oxpho Blue on the barrel and other exposed steel hardware. I used a fairly dark stain on the stripped maple stock and about a dozen coats of tung oil thinned slightly. The scroll work is something new I started experimenting with and I think it adds a bit to the overall look? The gold is something called "Rub n Buff" and allows a nice color and is very easy to wipe off excess. Note there are no screws through the wood from the left side as I did not want to mess the grain on the left.193505193506193508

OverMax
04-19-2017, 09:24 AM
No hole drilled to keep the lock plate stationary. That's a new technique I haven't seen before. Curious: So how is the lock plate kept stationary in its mortise?

BTW: a Very handsome rifle indeed.

oldracer
04-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the compliment. There is one screw from the right side that goes into the rear portion of the tang, well away from the area that takes the pressure it is a flat head and goes through the area right behind the cut out for the powder drum. The rifle I bought from a member here that had a setup like that and I really liked it. That trigger and lock were made by Ron Long in Denver and I felt it made for a very smooth mount. BTW I think Ron is deceased now?

dagger dog
04-19-2017, 06:46 PM
Looks great, bet she shoots too !

54bore
04-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Nice looking rifle oldracer!!