PDA

View Full Version : Are Cowboy dies worth getting

Carrier
04-17-2017, 11:32 PM
Do Hornady or other brand cowboy dies work better with lead over plated or jacketed bullets?

sukivel
04-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Do Hornady or other brand cowboy dies work better with lead over plated or jacketed bullets?

I don't know but the ones from RCBS look cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmort
04-18-2017, 12:07 AM
They do look cool. I have three sets. But the NOE solutions make them sub-optimal. Get the best sizer you can, and the the NOE expnders, and whatever seating die that makes sense, and whatever crimp die you see fit. And there you go. My last few sets have been mix and match dies with the NOE expanders.

wbrco
04-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Use the Lee dies and just don't use the factory crimp die. Adjust the seating die to apply the crimp (read the directions).

http://www.titanreloading.com/die-questions/bullet-seating-die-adjustment

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Shawlerbrook
04-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Why no Lee FCD ?

wbrco
04-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Tends to swage soft lead bullets in the case.

Sent by that pygmy wack job Kim Jong Un

drjjpdc
04-18-2017, 10:30 AM
If you want to reload lead cast bullets, they are one of the best things going.

Drew P
04-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Isn't it basically just a .001" bigger expanding die in a 3 die set using combined seat/crimp?

richmanpoorman
04-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Pure BS and they rust easily. Buy a Lee FOUR die set. I load 32, 38, 44 and 45 cast boolits with ZERO problems.

mdi
04-18-2017, 12:12 PM
If you want to reload lead cast bullets, they are one of the best things going.
Agree. IIRC, the main difference is the ID of the dies that allow for"oversize" lead bullets...

FWIW, a Lee FCD die for hand gun cartridges is just a coverup for problems from prior steps (case bulges). My FCD now resides in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon, because it swaged down my perfectly sized bullets and when I removed the carbide ring, I got unsatisfactory crimps. I went back to a plain old roll crimp...

Taterhead
04-18-2017, 01:22 PM
All that is needed from the Cowboy dies that makes any difference is the expander. The RCBS Cowboy expander plugs are a larger diameter for setting a larger inside diameter of the case necks. If you already have a standard RCBS expander die, then you just need the Cowboy expander plug. About $7 at Midway. Or, RCBS might send one for free if you ask. I've received a couple of them this way, and ordered others from Midway. I like RCBS handgun dies, and the M style expanders that they sell.

Yes, the NOE solution is fine too, and they have +/- sizes so you can hone in on the perfect neck ID.

Morgan61
04-18-2017, 01:59 PM
I have a 3 die cowboy set and find myself using only the bullet seating die.
I prefer to use my Lee neck sizing die for sizing and a regular RCBS expander die because I can get an expander plug that gives a neck size that's closer to what I want.

Carrier
04-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Is the Hornady expander larger than their normal ones?

John Boy
04-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Put the word 'Cowboy' in front of the name of the die set and the new reloaders will flock to them. It's a PR gimmick IMO. All my dies except for the odd ball calibers are LEE and the odd balls are CH4D - because they are the only one that make dies for those calibers

Carrier
04-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Put the word 'Cowboy' in front of the name of the die set and the new reloaders will flock to them. It's a PR gimmick IMO. All my dies except for the odd ball calibers are LEE and the odd balls are CH4D - because they are the only one that make dies for those calibers

That may be so but is the expander any different?

jmort
04-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Yes, expander is larger for cast.

Bzcraig
04-19-2017, 12:22 AM
If you shoot a Rossi in 45LC the RCBS sizing die is a must.

RogerDat
04-19-2017, 12:28 AM
Yes, expander is larger for cast. jacketed bullets can resist being squished to undersized by a tight case, our softer lead cast bullets can not. Larger expander insures that the case won't swage (squish) the lead bullet down to undersized.

NOE makes expander plugs to size case and flare mouth to a precise size suitable for your bullet. Lyman has a die for doing the expanding called a "M" die. Think I have heard of other brands too but those are the ones that get mentioned most often. Can say that using the NOE I can feel the seating of the bullet is smoother and more consistent than without it. Am guessing from the comments of others that the Lyman M dies provide this same consistency.

375supermag
04-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Hi...
I have one set of RCBS Cowboy dies.

I bought a set of them for .44Special when I bought my Lipsey's flat top BlackHawk back when they were first announced.
I believe they are excellent for loading commercial cast bullets which is all my .44Specials are fed.

Well pleased with them.

Char-Gar
04-19-2017, 11:40 AM
I started reloading when the only jacketed handgun bullets were FMJ in autopistol and military rounds. The JHP and JSP bullet simply did not exist. Lead bullets were use in all civilian revolver rounds. All reloading dies made in these times were for loading cast bullets. They do just a good now as they did then.

Three weeks ago, I bought a set of RCBS NOS dies (1961) for the 45 Colt round that cost me $17.00 on Ebay. I didn't need them, but they are not made any more. I see no purpose in purchasing far more expensive "Cowboy" dies when good vintage dies are available on the cheap.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-19-2017, 12:07 PM
I have both the standard die sets and the cowboy die sets made by RCBS in 357 and 45-70. If there is a difference other than cosmetic my calipers cannot find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDG
04-20-2017, 12:17 AM
The Cowboys dies that I own have a larger expander, and a larger seating die. The larger seater allows a larger bullet to slide up into the seating section of the die.

Most people will never find the seating die difference without a small hole gauge or a set of .001 increment pin gages.

David2011
04-20-2017, 01:01 AM
I wanted another set of .38/357 dies anyway and since I cast my own, jumped on the Cowboy dies when I saw them in sale a year or so ago I got a set. They are very pretty and do the job as expected.

Sakoluvr
04-20-2017, 07:44 AM
As stated, the RCBS "Cowboy" dies are same as the regular RCBS dies except for the expander. For example, the standard expander for a .45 Colt is ~ .495. The Cowboy expander die comes with 2 expanders. One is labeled .452, which is actually ~ .4502" and made for jacketed bullets. The other expander is labeled as .454, which is actually .4525 and made for lead bullets.

If you already have an M die (.45 Colt as an example), that will also measure ~ .495 but the larger RCBS expander will work in the M die and can be purchased for around $6.00.

If you have oversized throats and want to go to a larger expander, Buffalo Arms can make whatever size you want that will fit the M die. It is about a 4 week turn-around to order one.

If you have a Lee expander die then NOE sells the expander buttons that work in the Lee die and are in stock. Personally I much prefer the M die.

Take into account spring back on newer brass. Personally I shoot for .003 - .005 neck tension especially when using slow powder.

bob208
04-20-2017, 08:13 AM
I have been reloading cast lead 30 years before cowboy dies came out. never had a problem. so I say just a p.r. trick.

EDG
04-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Not really.
You can measure the dies and find definite differences. The average reloader will not care much but they are definitely different and accomadate a larger bullet in the seater that you cannot seat in the standard RCBS die. This is based on measuring multiple sets in 40-65, a set of 38-55, 32-20 and 32-40. For jacketed bullet shooters they don't do much for you.

The really can make a difference in the 38-55. Some 38-55s have .380 to .383 groove diameters and the larger bullets required will not fit in a standard seater die.

I have been reloading cast lead 30 years before cowboy dies came out. never had a problem. so I say just a p.r. trick.

jmort
04-20-2017, 10:13 AM
^^^ Yes, the seaters and expanders are for cast bullets

kokomokid
04-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Yes, expander is larger for cast.

I ordered a CBY expander 45-70 (9914) made by RCBS and it measures .4555 x .463. Will not work with ny cast bullets.