PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Red Dot on a Mark IV

Art in Colorado
04-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Got one of these new Mark IV's and I am considering a Red Dot sight. Looking at a Vortex Venom. Kind of pricey but I have the money for it and my eyes are not young any more. Is this sight wort the price or are there options just as good for a less price?

NSB
04-16-2017, 08:25 PM
I haven't owned the Vortex, but I've owned/own probably a couple of dozed red dots over the last twenty-five years. I shot major competitions for many years and I've seen them all over that time. The features on this sight would lead me to consider it, and the price is very good also. The lifetime warranty is outstanding. I have Burris FF3's and they have nearly the same features and they've held up to being used on 44mags and a 45-70 rifle with no problem. I think this would make a good sight for your needs. I'm in the process of getting a SW Victory right now, and I think I'll try one of these myself just to see how they are. Good luck.

mcdaniel.mac
04-16-2017, 08:30 PM
The venom is good, the Burris Fastfire is plenty of red dot for a .22 though. For even less money, there's the micro tube style like the Bushnell TRS-25.

GhostHawk
04-16-2017, 09:12 PM
I have 2 mk III's both 22/45's 4" barrels, both have inexpensive 60$ Red Dots on them. Both of them will put 10 rounds into a group smaller than the inside of a bottle cap at 20 feet. Widens out a bit at range, but it is still tight.

One day I put 3 stickers on a target, one at 2 oclock, 6 oc, and 10 oclock.

Started at 2 and emptied gun as fast as I could get them on target. Now I did not have a timer or help. But I would guess 6-8 seconds total, and all 10 shots were inside the 1" dots.

Yeah, they'll shoot if you can do your end.

As to which one, well that is up to your pocketbook and tastes and how much you intend to use it.

My 60$ Truglo's are the multi reticule model which I set on the 2.5 moa dot and leave. Has both Red and Green, but the Red on low intensity appears to be visably smaller. So that is what I tend to use.

Hamish
04-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Wife and I have Bushnell TRS-25's on my Mark III and her 22/45. Have a Pentax on the Kel-Tec Sub 2000.

The Pentax is good but I prefer the Bushnell.

winelover
04-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Been using red dots on most all firearms, dedicated to moderate ranges, since the 80's. Scopes for anything over 75 yards. Armson "day/night" OEG on Mark II Target. Had the receiver grooved for 22 scope mounts.

Winelover

wv109323
04-19-2017, 02:02 PM
For a .22 about any of the red dots will work. I don't know the price of the Vortex but I have used Ultra-dot and Tasco ProPoint 3 without problems.

rond
04-20-2017, 08:50 AM
I like Vortex but unless you shoot competition you don't need it on a .22.

NSB
04-20-2017, 08:58 AM
I don't agree with the theory of using a cheaper red dot on a 22lr because the cheap ones hold up on a 22lr. The cheaper ones are worth exactly what you pay for them. If you want a better optic (red dot) and would like to get the most out of your handgun, get a Burris, Vortex, Ultra Dot, etc. Most users on these types of sights don't even realize that they have parallax just like a cheap scope does. If paper plates at fifteen yards are your goal, get a cheap one. If you want to shoot small groups at 25, 50, and 75 yards, get a better one. FWIW, it's very easy to see if a red dot has parallax. It's something you can check for before walking out the door with one. The really cheap ones are simply a light in a tin can. I know. When I first started using them years ago I bought a couple of cheap one and got exactly what I paid for. I've seen the turrets fly off of those things with guys using them at a match. They have unplated contacts and a lot of them won't light up after a season or two. The contacts go bad and the adjustments for brightness quit working, etc. Get one with a good guarantee...and that's not six months or a year.

TexasGrunt
04-22-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm a old school guy. Love my Ultradot stuff.