PDA

View Full Version : JC Higgins 31

rond
04-16-2017, 09:18 AM
Plinking with my son and brought out the JC Higgins to show him that it will cycle S,L and LR ammo. I have CCI Quite ammo so I tried that also, it cycled just fine. The Quite ammo is almost silent, then you hear bullet impact.

Jackpine
04-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Your post brought several thoughts to mind.

The first one was wondering when was the last time I saw longs for sale.

I remember, as a kid, buying ammo at the local hardware store, preferring LR, but often buying shorts and longs, because a box of 50 of LR were a few cents more, and in those days a few cents was sometimes the difference between being able to buy the ammo or not.

JC Higgins and Western Field and Ted Williams brings to mind the excitement of a kid in fifties, growing dirt poor, on a rented farm, miles from a little town, when the newest catalog showed up in the mail boxes. I spent hours pouring reading every word of the gun pages and must admit, spent quite a few hours in the ladies underwear section, but the words on those pages were not the part I was interested in!!!!

Thanks for the memories,

Jackpine

old woody
04-18-2017, 01:53 PM
I have to laugh about the 'ladies section". I grew up in the same time in a rural area & we had a Western Auto that sold lots of ammo & the difference between shorts, longs, & long rifles was noticeable. They would sell shotguns shells by the shell if we asked & didn't expect we kids to buy a whole box. Had to be a better time :)

Loudenboomer
04-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Oh Jackpine can I relate to your post. You could be the neighbor kid.

Texas by God
04-23-2017, 08:51 AM
And the newfangled plastic shot shells hadn't completley replaced the paper ones yet. My LGS has brand new CCI .22 Longs/100pack on the counter. The clerk told me minimum age to buy those is 60 haha.
Best, Thomas.