PDA

View Full Version : Target Paste

avogunner
04-16-2017, 07:51 AM
One of the great "benefits" of being a USMC Pvt. is that you often had the honor of being assigned to any one of a myriad of details that required physical labor around the base. In the late 70's, i would often find myself sent to the range to build targets. We'd build/repair the frames, attach the hard cardboard backers, and then paste the targets on. Does anybody know the formula for that paste? I've tried water/flour but is "isn't right", as it dulls the black target centers and also it doest hold the paper on the cardboard well.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Semper Fi

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

starnbar
04-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Try your paint store for wallpaper paste that is close to what you were using.

country gent
04-16-2017, 08:48 AM
We used wall paper paste most of the time at Camp Perry it did good as long as you didn't get it to heavy. In wet weather 3M aresol adhesive works good also

jsizemore
04-16-2017, 08:55 AM
There are 2 types of pre-mixed wallpaper paste. The first is for sticking paper to the wall. It works as long as the paper doesn't get wet. The second is border paste. Once dry it's almost impossible to get off. Both come in pint and quart containers. Thinned Elmer's wood glue works too

country gent
04-16-2017, 09:06 AM
I always like the canvas backers over the hard cardboard ones. canvas was thinner and the glue seemed to bond better to it.

Bookworm
04-17-2017, 05:54 AM
To quote the late Walt Kelly - "This is a job for library paste."
....which can no longer be found because a generation of baby-boomer kindergartners ate it.

I know I had my share......

bedbugbilly
04-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Bookworm . . . . . . . . but it was so much better than the school lunches!

Mk42gunner
04-17-2017, 09:07 PM
We used either flour and water or if someone wanted to spend money, wall paper paste. Either one works, it just takes a bit of trial and error with the flour and water.

Robert

avogunner
04-28-2017, 06:34 AM
Follow-up...............got some border paste and it works like a champ. Thanks Gents!
Semper Fi.

TexasGrunt
04-28-2017, 08:26 AM
Does it taste the same?

OS OK
04-28-2017, 09:38 AM
To quote the late Walt Kelly - "This is a job for library paste."
....which can no longer be found because a generation of baby-boomer kindergartners ate it.

I know I had my share......

OMG! . . . I forgot about that! Never saw anyone munching on the glue brush but the teacher always gave the warning..."Don't eat your glue!"

I used to think to myself..."Why the heck would I want to eat my glue?"

avogunner
04-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Does it taste the same?

Ha, ha, ha!!!!! I was a dumb Pvt. but not quite that dumb.....well, at least I didn't think so.

Tom W.
04-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Everyone ate paste, except for the snooty girls.......

OS OK
04-28-2017, 09:52 PM
No...everyone didn't eat their glue! Some of us were born with 'common sense'!

Tom W.
04-29-2017, 02:05 PM
Oh? Name one..:kidding:

Silvercreek Farmer
04-29-2017, 10:22 PM
We had this huge tub of paste in preschool that lasted my entire tenure. Consumption was usually the result of a dare.

Outpost75
04-29-2017, 11:19 PM
Everyone ate paste, except for the snooty girls.......

Half dried out paste you could roll it between your palms and make huge boogers with it to throw at the snooty girls.

Also put dabs on our faces to dry out and make huge cancerous zits so that we looked like zombies before it was cool...

David2011
04-30-2017, 02:13 AM

My thought exactly.

Bookworm
04-30-2017, 12:05 PM
OMG! . . .

But, it smelled so good !!!!

OS OK
04-30-2017, 12:20 PM
Yes, can't argue that...it did smell good, but...that little voice inside kept saying..."Don't you do it!"

Tom W.
04-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Put it on your bucket list.........just one taste......you know you want to.......

Larry Gibson
04-30-2017, 03:40 PM
One of the great "benefits" of being a USMC Pvt. is that you often had the honor of being assigned to any one of a myriad of details that required physical labor around the base. In the late 70's, i would often find myself sent to the range to build targets. We'd build/repair the frames, attach the hard cardboard backers, and then paste the targets on. Does anybody know the formula for that paste? I've tried water/flour but is "isn't right", as it dulls the black target centers and also it doest hold the paper on the cardboard well.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Semper Fi

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

The Marine ranges I've been on over the years used the same "formula" as did the Army. We put a 5 lb bag of flour in a 5 gallon bucket, added just enough water, stirred well until it was just gooey and then added about a pint of vinegar. Stirred that well until it was well mixed then added water a little at a time until it was a smooth runny paste. The target backing cloth was used and the paste was put on with paint rollers until an even coat was applied then the full size high power targets were put on the backing and a wide stiff brush was used stoking from the center out to evenly glue the target to the backing w/o wrinkles or bubbles. When the target frames were in the butts basically the same method was used. Target centers were glued on using the rollers or preferably a large wide paint brush to apply the glue. If mixed right it held in some pretty strong winds.

Basically the "formula is;

5 lbs flour
1 pint vinegar
Just enough water to make it a smooth paste easily applied with roller or brush

It wasn't rocket science and many times the amount of flour and vinegar were "eye balled".

Larry Gibson