PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1893 takedown?

sghart3578
04-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Hello guys,

I sold a couple of rifles to make room for a new project. I have always wanted a Marlin 1893 in 30-30. I see a few for sale here and there. Half are takedown models and half are not.

I know there is a price difference but barring that, are there any advantages or disadvantages to either one? I remember reading an old article somewhere about the repeatable accuracy of a takedown rifle but I don't remember the details.

Any help from you guys would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Steve in N CA

OverMax
04-15-2017, 10:37 PM
Seen some T/Downs that were pretty loose at their T/D joint. I can imagine such well used original condition rifles do suffer in their accuracy.

bob208
04-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Winchesters have a take up if they should work lose. if the sights are both on the barrel I don't think there would be a problem. at least I have never had any with an of my take downs.

Shawlerbrook
04-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Personally with vintage collectible rifles I prefer a one piece over a T/D unless you can get a pristine gun. I don't see an advantage of the T/D feature on a vintage rifle unless one is just trying to collect one of each version. Now modern T/D rifles are a different situation.

nseries
04-22-2017, 10:31 PM
I've got a 1893 TD I picked up about 15 to 20 years ago. Took it to the range once. 50 yards off a rest, 3 or 5-shot groups with holes cutting each other in a nice tight cluster. That was with a Winchester factory 150gr load. Only problem is that the gun shot high due to the front sight being ground down, or damaged and reshaped... It's in need of a new home if you're interested...

OlDeuce
04-22-2017, 11:45 PM
That Marlin TD has a stronger system than the Winchester..... and It did shoot well! I'm a Winchester Kinda of a guy...but always take a TD over the
solid frame!!! you can always buy a None TD any day of the week ......Options in the old rifles are always worth it in the long run!!:2_high5::guntootsmiley::guntootsmiley::gunto otsmiley:

Ol Deuce