PDA

View Full Version : I figured it out ?

Tenbender
04-15-2017, 09:51 PM
How many have worked to tear down a shotgun and nothing seamed to work ? Well, today I was tearing down a shotgun for a blueing . I had a piece that I could not get out. So I just left it and went to a guys house that was working on a power saw for me. Tonight about 9pm it came to me. I'm just stupid I guess.
By the way. I finally finished my bluing setup. Tanks and stand built. Burners drilled and burning. I have wanted to do this for 40 years. Now I won't be around long enough to enjoy the fruits of my labor ? " lol

sharps4590
04-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Ten, I sent you a PM.

toallmy
04-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Are you preparing to hot blue ?

Tenbender
04-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Ten, I sent you a PM.
No PM my way?

Tenbender
04-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Are you preparing to hot blue ?

That's my plan. Still collecting components .

Der Gebirgsjager
04-16-2017, 01:59 PM
I did that for about 25 years, so if I can be of any help feel free to PM with questions. Always wear eye protection and long sleeves!

Tenbender
04-22-2017, 12:50 AM
Tried some of Brownells 909 cleaner today. WOW. That stuff works. Going to try Brownells Rust and blue remover tomorrow. Just trying to work everything at a slow pace. I have a old double shotgun I'm working on for practice. I won't get all the knicks out of this gun so I'm just going to practice. It will be much better than it was before. If a draw filled out all the defects I would have thin spots . LOL
From now on I will only try gun that needs bluing and forget about the klunkers !

sharps4590
04-22-2017, 07:39 AM
Hmmm...says it went. Ah well, it is the internet. I'll try again.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Unless the barrels on that double are silver soldered together you won't want to hot blue it in caustic salts. If it's soft solder you'll likely have two single barrels when you're done. The way to tell is to take a sharp pointed scribe and run it along the base of the rib and see if you can dig up any solder. If you can it's soft solder. You can Belgian Blue it.