PDA

View Full Version : A lesson learned

Thumbcocker
04-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Those of us who think we are independent and don't need anyone else learn humility when trying to hook up a 6' roto tiler to the 3 point hitch on a 1965 Ford 4000.

rancher1913
04-15-2017, 09:42 PM
yah, that model was just before they introduced the movable ends on the arms, those things are great when hooking up to the big planter. the 4000 is still a good workhorse, big enough to get the job done and small enough to get around easy.

Soundguy
04-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Deluxe ends could be had on the 4000. ;)

I restore 39 thru 81 Fords.

Mk42gunner
04-15-2017, 11:14 PM
I grew up wrestling 3 point hitch equipment into alignment on a 9N Ford and 65 Massey Ferguson and I always thought there had to be a better way.

When I retired from the Navy and finally got my AC WD going and all the parts to the snap coupler hitch; I thought that was it, I could hook up the plow without leaving the seat. It worked great until one day I was plowing my garden and the hook under the tractor released and the plow tried to rotate up and kill me. Now I realize why Grandpa had the pin hitch underneath still.

I think all the proprietary hitch systems had flaws, some bigger than others, but the Ferguson three point hitch won out and at least if something comes loose the equipment doesn't rotate up behind the operator and crush them to death. Sometimes a bit of inconvenience is worth it for the safety aspect.

Robert

runfiverun
04-16-2017, 12:37 AM
let me guess.
back up.
lift left hook up.
back on tractor.
lift left hook up again
back up
twist the right one
pull forward
back up
twist the left hook up a little.
back up,,,, COME ONNNNNN!!!!!

shoot-n-lead
04-16-2017, 12:43 AM
let me guess.
back up.
lift left hook up.
back on tractor.
lift left hook up again
back up
twist the right one
pull forward
back up

Then, sometimes, have to pull forward to get the top link hooked up...

corbinace
04-16-2017, 01:49 AM
let me guess.
back up.
lift left hook up.
back on tractor.
lift left hook up again
back up
twist the right one
pull forward
back up

I try to park my implements on wooden beams. That way they slip around a tiny bit and saves me one or two trips to the seat and back.

rancher1913
04-16-2017, 09:04 AM
try hooking up to something that uses the spacers to keep the arms from swinging, with out the floating ends on the arms it anint going to happen without a lot of cussing and hammering.

Thumbcocker
04-16-2017, 09:21 AM
The process involved myself, Mrs. Thumbcocker, a high lift jack, a spud wrench we found in the creek by a bridge while looking for arrow heads, and all of our combined vocabulary of "hooking up a very heavy 3 point attachment " words.

jmort
04-16-2017, 09:31 AM
I have found good 5 ' digging/pry bars help move/align things a bit. It can be a PITA. I hate the cheap digging bars from India, soft and bendable. Get one with good steel and you can move most anything

lightman
04-16-2017, 09:47 AM
A second person is very helpful when hooking up implements. I have a few implements that use a quick hitch. I wish I could convert all of my stuff over. The bad thing is that it weighs about 200# and is a handful to horse around by yourself when I have to take it off.

w5pv
04-16-2017, 10:32 AM
I try to hook up the top link and one arm you have some moveablity by lifting disk,mower,plows and toolbars and a good prybar to boot.

10x
04-16-2017, 10:55 AM
And I thought it was just me.
My Case IH 585 can be a 60 second no sweat hookup, or 1/2 hour struggling to get all the mating parts to line up.
I have been known to use a jack, pry bar, and come along to get the holes to line up.
I follow a sequence, easiest one first, with the top link the last

Parking the implement on a couple of pallets makes life much easier.

dagger dog
04-18-2017, 10:27 AM
I have a '59 TO 35 Massey and it's setting in the barn with the grader blade stuck 1/2 way off, hate to get the wife involved 'cause that's 4 more appendages that could be crushed. Guess I'll get the bar and give it a try, I do have a couple pallets to set the blade on.