PDA

View Full Version : Brain tumor

Ken in Iowa
04-15-2017, 07:26 PM
As some of you know, I have advanced prostate cancer. We discovered yesterday that I have a tumor about the size of an egg in my brain.

after a second MRI today, we met with a neurosurgeon. The prognosis is good for complete removal. Surgery will be in a week or so after more tests and planning.

we feel very comfortable with the surgeon and the overall situation.

God is still on the throne and we place our trust in him.

needless to say, we welcome your prayers for myself, my wife and our entire family.

jmort
04-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Praying for you, your wife, and your entire family.
God is great and God is good.
Your trust in God is well placed.
So sorry to hear this

shoot-n-lead
04-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Prayer sent for you and your family.

wyrmzr
04-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Will be praying. My neighbor is 80 and has pancreatic cancer right now; it doesn't look like he's got long.

Bzcraig
04-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Praying for peace, comfort and healing brother.

edler7
04-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Praying that God holds your hand and guides the hands of your surgeon.

GhostHawk
04-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Ken I am so very sorry sir. Hang in there, don't give up. Do what the doctors say. And then remember that Laughter is the best medicine. Cut out the stress, its a killer.

Spend a half hour to an hour a day laughing. Whatever turns you on, dive into it.

You are in my prayers.

Teddy (punchie)
04-15-2017, 09:39 PM
God Bless !! Ken !!

Preacher Jim
04-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Ken my dad had that same surgery.
Lord guide Kens healing and bring him out of this healed, we ask this in Jesus name Amen

Multigunner
04-15-2017, 10:07 PM
In my Prayers tonight.

Bayoubulldog
04-15-2017, 11:09 PM
Prayers for you, your family, and a swift recovery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Pine Baron
04-16-2017, 08:05 AM
Prayers for Ken, his wife and their family.

NSB
04-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Prayers sent Ken and remember, God always does what's best for you. Keep your faith, His power is infinite.

nicholst55
04-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Prayers for you and the family. I lost a good friend to brain cancer eight years ago.

jcren
04-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Prayers sent

w5pv
04-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Prayers sent for your complete recovery and healing

USMC87
04-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Hello Ken, It is my pleasure to add your situation along with the family to our prayer list.

Blackwater
04-17-2017, 03:10 PM
God bless you, Ken, and the surgeon's hands, and send you a powerful healing.

Ken in Iowa
04-18-2017, 06:17 AM
Thank you all my brothers in Christ and the shooting hobby.

i have spent the last few days basking in the love of my family and our heavenly fathers gifts.

God is Good!

I suspect that we will know more today regarding surgery and future treatments.

if I do not return from this burden, I pray now that you carry on and know that you have been dear to me in my short time here.

Amen

GoodOlBoy
04-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Praying for you buddy.

Richard

iomskp
04-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Best of luck to you.

Regards Trevor

GhostHawk
04-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Love you too Ken!

Be well! May God's grace walk with you.

smoked turkey
04-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Ken I am praying that the Great Physician will grant you not only healing for your body but will also give you peace. Lord however you choose to heal Ken, I ask that you touch him and his family during this storm he is facing. If you choose to heal through the doctor's hands, then I ask that you give the medical team supernatural wisdom as they do the surgery necessary to remove the tumor. Thank you in advance for what you are about to do for Ken.

shoot-n-lead
04-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Amen!

WILCO
04-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Prayers sent

Same for me.

Ken in Iowa
04-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Surgery is scheduled next Wednesday the 26th at 7:30. The prognosis is still excellent.

thanks for you prayers, good thought, concerns and encouragement.

Blackwater
04-20-2017, 04:12 PM
You'll be in our prayers until they're not needed any more. God bless you.

Boaz
04-20-2017, 06:26 PM
I'll be praying Ken . You have come a long way brother , the Lord is at your side . He has tended you and your wife not that long ago . May he be close to give reassurance , strength and guidance .

Tallinar
04-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Hey folks!

I am Ken's son. He has asked that I provide updates to this thread following his surgery. Thank you all for your prayers.

I often take rest in Psalm 119:89-91,

"Forever, O LORD, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens.
Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
you have established the earth, and it stands fast.
By your appointment they stand this day,
for all things are your servants."

The last phrase, "for all things are your servants," is huge. All things! Our God is completely sovereign. Nothing is outside of his dominion. There are no rogue molecules in the universe. Not a single one. All things, in an ultimate and perfect sense which we cannot comprehend, are his servants.

Moreover, as those who have been born again, we have this great promise. "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28). Again, all things! God is working *all* things together for the good of his saints. If that simple statement is true, then *nothing *is excluded.

Not cancer. And not even death.

While we ask God earnestly for another act of physical deliverance (there have been many these last 12 years since dad was diagnosed with his cancer), I all the more pray that the name of Christ, and his sovereign dominion, would be glorified through this trial. Death is indeed an enemy, but our Lord has defeated death. Our Lord is he who says, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades." (Revelation 1:17-18). And should this be the illness by which God chooses to take my dad's life, let it be known that we do not weep as the world weeps (1 Thes. 4:13). We have an eternal hope that has been purchased for us by the blood of Christ, in whom we have received forgiveness and deliverance from the dominion of sin, having been adopted as sons of God, with whom we shall abide in peace forever.

I am encouraged by my dad's faith through all of this. Pray with me that he would be all the more strengthened in sharing the truth of the gospel as the day draws nearer. Pray especially for our unbelieving family, that through this all they might come face to face with their own mortality (Ecclesiastes 7:2), see the gravity of their sin against a holy and just God, and that God might grant them repentance leading to salvation (2 Tim. 2:25-26). Even if my dad's body should die, let God use it as the catalyst to bring about new birth in those who even now walk dead in their sins! This life, for all its small pleasures, is nothing but a prelude to judgment without Christ. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and through Christ alone may be we justified (Romans 3:23-24).

I will look forward to providing updates next week following the surgery. Thank you again.

jmort
04-21-2017, 11:27 PM
Thank you for a great post and
Thank you in advance for the updates
We have a great group of members of The Body of Christ here
It is an honor to pray for your father

shoot-n-lead
04-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Son, your faith is refreshing!

Prayer sent for Ken, the entire family and those that might possibly be touched by this.

Pine Baron
04-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Tallinar. I also thank you for your post. All Glory indeed belongs to God.
Prayers continue for your father and your family. Go in Peace.

DCP
04-22-2017, 08:06 AM
Prayers for you and yours

GhostHawk
04-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Tallinar thank you for keeping us updated. Wishing only the best for Ken, he and your family remain in our prayers.

Hogtamer
04-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Your faith is precious and encouraging to us all, especially our Father. What a privilege to pray for brothers and sisters in Christ!

buckwheatpaul
04-22-2017, 07:29 PM
Ken, It is good that you and your family is good with the surgeon. It is even more important that God is watching over you.......I had a friend that had a tumor taken out of his brain a year ago due to tremors in his hands and he is good as new.

Father, as Ken approaches his surgery please be with him and his family. Take any concerns and fears away so that they can clearly see the path they must take to get Ken healed. Father, You are the great Healer and I/we give You all the praise. Please heal Ken and restore him unto us Father. AMEN

Ken, Please keep us up on what is going on....Paul

David2011
04-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear of this. I pray for you and for God to guide the surgeon's hand.

David

Blackwater
04-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Thank you Tallinar, for your post. Ken certainly has one fine son! God bless all of you, and heal Ken.

DLCTEX
04-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Lord hold Ken and family close and strengthen them with your loving presence.

Ken in Iowa
04-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Thanks for finding this thread my son Tallinar.

i am planning on surviving a while. We need to get the kids out to the range and we need a long Saturday casting session too!

Blackwater
04-25-2017, 03:41 PM
Attitude may not be a total cure, but it sure helps! Ken, you have the kind of courage that Ken Burns, in his description of Gen. Grant, called "3:00 in the morning courage." That will help see you through whatever lies ahead of you. We can never take anything for granted, but we are all praying for you sincerely. Keep your spirits up, and your Faith even closer than ever before. Christ tends to reward that kind of Faith. God bless and heal you, however He chooses to effect that healing. Amen.

Boolseye
04-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Sending well wishes and prayers.

Hickok
04-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Amen to all the prayers of the brothers and sisters here.

Ken, prayers offered up in the Name Christ Jesus for you and your family. God's blessings and protection for you!

Ken in Iowa
04-26-2017, 03:08 AM
Thank you all for the prayers, encouragement, verses, private messages and thoughts as the surgery hour grows near.

We are at peace that God is near and in ultimate control as our family and friends care for each other in my time of need. May I remain a good testament to you and them.

Amen!

Hogtamer
04-26-2017, 04:43 AM
I am praying for you this morning Ken and will be throughout the day.

shoot-n-lead
04-26-2017, 05:05 AM
More prayer sent.

Lloyd Smale
04-26-2017, 06:15 AM
we will put you on the top of our prayer list for sunday service

GhostHawk
04-26-2017, 08:27 AM
Go with God Ken, he whispers in my ear that he is with you now and will remain by your side. Peace be upon you brother. May you be truly blessed.

smoked turkey
04-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Lord I ask that your presence be felt in that operating room today as Ken undergoes the removal of the tumor in his brain. Please guide the hands of those who do the work today. Give everyone associated with this procedure supernatural ability and wisdom. Let them be an extension of your hands. I also ask that this procedure will result in Ken's total and complete healing. Amen.

Pine Baron
04-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Amen.

Tallinar
04-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Hey folks, I have an update on Ken.

Dad is out of surgery now, and recovering in the ICU. He is moving and speaking just fine, and seems only as groggy as you'd expect anybody to be when they are coming off of anesthesia. The doctor believes he was able to remove all of the tumor. He is not sure if the tumor is prostate cancer or brain cancer, but should know that by Friday. He will have a new MRI tomorrow morning.

Thank you all for your prayers. So far, it seems that everything has gone as well as anybody could have hoped. Praise God!

DCP
04-26-2017, 02:04 PM
Hey folks, I have an update on Ken.

Dad is out of surgery now, and recovering in the ICU. He is moving and speaking just fine, and seems only as groggy as you'd expect anybody to be when they are coming off of anesthesia. The doctor believes he was able to remove all of the tumor. He is not sure if the tumor is prostate cancer or brain cancer, but should know that by Friday. He will have a new MRI tomorrow morning.

Thank you all for your prayers. So far, it seems that everything has gone as well as anybody could have hoped. Praise God!

Great early news

Pine Baron
04-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Thanks Tallinar. Praying for a successful recovery and good prognosis. Praise God indeed.

Tallinar
04-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Dad and I are sitting in the ICU discussing philosophy, drinking coffee together. Except for the incision on the side of his head, you would not guess that he had brain surgery today. :)

DCP
04-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Dad and I are sitting in the ICU discussing philosophy, drinking coffee together. Except for the incision on the side of his head, you would not guess that he had brain surgery today. :)

Wow just wow, praise the LORD

garym1a2
04-26-2017, 07:07 PM
I pray for your dad.

shoot-n-lead
04-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Praise GOD!

Great news.

GhostHawk
04-26-2017, 09:21 PM
To GOD be the Glory, forever and ever. Amen.

Houndog
04-26-2017, 09:38 PM
prayers offered up for you and the family

nekshot
04-26-2017, 09:39 PM
We pray for supernatural recovery in Jesus name!

Finster101
04-26-2017, 10:14 PM

Hope things continue to be well for you and your Dad. Take care and best wishes for you and yours.

smoked turkey
04-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Praise the Lord for His grace and healing. May it continue.

LAH
04-27-2017, 04:50 PM
This is great news. To God be the Glory.

Hickok
04-27-2017, 05:47 PM
In the name of Christ Jesus I am thankful, and praying for a full recovery!

Blackwater
04-27-2017, 07:34 PM
Great to hear he's doing well. Some of us older guys are made of some pretty tough stuff! God be with Ken and family.

pjames32
04-27-2017, 11:15 PM
Prayers continue. May God guide his recovery.

Ken in Iowa
04-29-2017, 03:38 AM
To GOD be the Glory, forever and ever. Amen.
And Again, I say Amen!

i am very well and a very happy and content man this night.

It is time to lay down to sleep next to my wonderful helpmate of 38 glorious years.

good night my brothers. Let us rejoice in the morning in a new day of God's everlasting grace.

shoot-n-lead
04-29-2017, 03:46 AM
And Again, I say Amen!

i am very well and a very happy and content man this night.

It is time to lay down to sleep next to my wonderful helpmate of 38 glorious years.

good night my brothers. Let us rejoice in the morning in a new day of God's everlasting grace.

GOD has blessed you, my friend.

Praise GOD!

Ken in Iowa
04-29-2017, 06:24 AM
GOD has blessed you, my friend.

Praise GOD!

Indeed brother!

i went out front for a smoke this morning and my across the street neighbor and early riser walked over for a chat. We talked about his battle with cigarettes and how he finally won. One of my bride and mine final conversations last night was about where we wanted our little dog to go if something happened to us. The answer is our daughter in Colorado the consummate dog lover of our family.

That neighbor already has house keys, our dog loves them and vice versa. Heck, knowing those neighbors they would deliver him to Colorado if necessary as they used to live there.

These are the kind of people that God provides.

Amen?

Boaz
04-29-2017, 07:22 AM
Lord thank you for intervening in Ken's time of need . Thank you for loving us . All praise is yours Lord . Amen

buckwheatpaul
04-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Father, Ken is facing a major issue as You know. Please continue to walk with him and guide the physician that treat and heal him. As You know Ken has already dealt with the fear issue but he still needs Your guidance so that the path You need him to travel, in order to heal, will be visible to him. Father I give You all the praise because You are the Great Healer. AMEN

GhostHawk
04-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Good news is always so good to hear Ken. So glad to hear that for now all is going well.

I am reminded of the old childrens bedtime song. "Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep"

Sometimes just keeping it simple really works.

We are given each day as a gift. It is up to us what we decide to do with that day. At the end of the day we hope the Lord will guard and protect us should we not wake to another day. Simple as that. Keep the faith, try to walk in his will, keep your belief in him strong. Hope for the future.

Ken I know you know all this. Bless you sir, and keep you, may God smile upon you.

Blackwater
04-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Amen, here, Ken! Great neighbors are a special sort of blessing that many simply don't have any more. Most don't even know their neighbors in the cities any more. I have some really great ones, and none are "bad" any more. Had one that was working at the Clerk of Courts' office, and was seeing and living with a guy who was on parole. She finally got caught stealing money from the office and was prosecuted, and thankfully, moved from here.

Here in the South, we live in a checkerboarded social environment. That's why blacks and whites get along well here. They know each other, and it's a lot harder to "hate" somebody when you know them, and the challenges they face. One has to have empathy for anyone who's laboring under any sort of duress.

But good neighbors are a special type of blessing that not everyone enjoys, and mostly, I think, it's because they just don't know their neighbors well, or even at all. City living will never appeal to me, but some defy the odds, and find great folks, if they just go looking for them. There's always going to be some of the other kind, but that's just the way the world is. The good ones are special, and probably even moreso these days.

Ken in Iowa
04-30-2017, 05:48 AM
I awoke this morning yearning for the Word. I studied Mathew chapter 3 in the context of the biblical namesakes of my Crown Jewels, as in grandchildren.

I made notes for future study as I am lead to complete the Gospell of Matthew and eventually into Acts.

It is Sunday. I will worship this morning with our granddaughter.

oh, new Greek word that I learned this morning, anthropol meaning men and women. I became interested in anthropology in college, but only as a passing interest. Now I know the word root.

Ken in Iowa
04-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Have a blessed day brothers and sisters.

Amen

Ken in Iowa
04-30-2017, 05:59 AM
Amen, here, Ken! Great neighbors are a special sort of blessing that many simply don't have any more. Most don't even know their neighbors in the cities any more. I have some really great ones, and none are "bad" any more. Had one that was working at the Clerk of Courts' office, and was seeing and living with a guy who was on parole. She finally got caught stealing money from the office and was prosecuted, and thankfully, moved from here.

Here in the South, we live in a checkerboarded social environment. That's why blacks and whites get along well here. They know each other, and it's a lot harder to "hate" somebody when you know them, and the challenges they face. One has to have empathy for anyone who's laboring under any sort of duress.

But good neighbors are a special type of blessing that not everyone enjoys, and mostly, I think, it's because they just don't know their neighbors well, or even at all. City living will never appeal to me, but some defy the odds, and find great folks, if they just go looking for them. There's always going to be some of the other kind, but that's just the way the world is. The good ones are special, and probably even moreso these days.

my brilliant surgeon was brought to us via Kenya. I have selected a gift of Kenyan tea as a token of our gratitude, a little taste of home from the region of the origins of Man.

Boaz
04-30-2017, 07:21 AM
Have a blessed day brothers and sisters.

Amen

You also have a blessed day Ken ! Matthew is full of wonder and more detail daily life of Jesus , I particularly enjoy 17and 18 . Glad you are recovering , still praying for you . GOD bless!

Blackwater
04-30-2017, 05:09 PM
Ken, one of my friends who's going through some real medical trials, also has a doc from one of the African countries, much like Kenya. He says he's a brilliant man who's helped him where other docs have faltered or failed. The doc is a very high ranking son of one of the chiefs there, and he has to practice here for a number of years in return for his education. After that, he plans to return home to his people, and do all he can to help them there. He's got some really great values, and a great personality, according to my friend. Many people still think of Africans as "backward" and "barbarian," and nothing could be further from the truth for a great many of them today. And very bright people are born all over the world, into environments that don't allow them to flourish. Long ago, these were the ones who became great military leaders for their tribes. Now, they have more options, or at least do in many cases.

Our imaginations and stereotypes really prevent us from realizing what kind of potential many have today. I can't imagine how thankful many are for the opportunities they've been given today! Not all will be, of course, but many are. The only ones we hear about are the ones who aren't thankful, and abuse the gifts and opportunities they've been given. But that need not shape our perceptions, and cause us to err.

It was never Christ's intent that ANYONE be lost. He just accepts our verdict, whichever way we choose to go. It's really just that simple. And all sorts of folks we don't tend to think of as being "saved" may well be some of His most devoted servants. We need to constantly remember these things, if we possibly can.

shoot-n-lead
04-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Ken, one of my friends who's going through some real medical trials, also has a doc from one of the African countries, much like Kenya. He says he's a brilliant man who's helped him where other docs have faltered or failed. The doc is a very high ranking son of one of the chiefs there, and he has to practice here for a number of years in return for his education. After that, he plans to return home to his people, and do all he can to help them there. He's got some really great values, and a great personality, according to my friend. Many people still think of Africans as "backward" and "barbarian," and nothing could be further from the truth for a great many of them today. And very bright people are born all over the world, into environments that don't allow them to flourish. Long ago, these were the ones who became great military leaders for their tribes. Now, they have more options, or at least do in many cases.

Our imaginations and stereotypes really prevent us from realizing what kind of potential many have today. I can't imagine how thankful many are for the opportunities they've been given today! Not all will be, of course, but many are. The only ones we hear about are the ones who aren't thankful, and abuse the gifts and opportunities they've been given. But that need not shape our perceptions, and cause us to err.

It was never Christ's intent that ANYONE be lost. He just accepts our verdict, whichever way we choose to go. It's really just that simple. And all sorts of folks we don't tend to think of as being "saved" may well be some of His most devoted servants. We need to constantly remember these things, if we possibly can.

Good news, Ken.

Yeah, doctors are like mechanics and other service folk...they work differently for different folks...just have to find the one that works well for you. Glad you found your match.

Tallinar
10-04-2017, 09:10 AM
Friends,

I wanted to inform you that Ken (my dad) is now in hospice. His pain is under control, and we've had some sweet time together with all of his grandchildren. We were able to spend time reading the Scriptures together, praying, and sang a hymn before he lost his lucidity.

The members of this board have meant very much to him over the years, and I thank you all for your companionship to him.

I praise God that my father shall soon be with the Lord, and I would urge all of you all as friends that if you have not, to repent of your sin and place your trust in Jesus Christ. Only in him is forgiveness of sins. Only in him is there hope beyond the grave. Only through his righteousness will we be made to stand at the judgment.

I give my father's love to you all.

Jason

Pine Baron
10-04-2017, 09:56 AM
God bless you, Jason and the entire family. Your dad is in my prayers.

Boaz
10-04-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm praying for all concerned Jason . My thoughts are for you and your family . Your message is well received brother , thank you .

osteodoc08
10-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Prayers to you jason and Ken in your time of need. May God walk beside you to ease your pain and fear during this transition.

Preacher Jim
10-04-2017, 10:18 AM
May the Lord hold the entire family in His loving arms and pore His grace and mercy on them.

LAH
10-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the update Jason & the advise given is very important.

Bzcraig
10-05-2017, 12:54 AM
May the God of Comfort embrace you all

DCP
10-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Still praying- keep the faith