PDA

View Full Version : Shooting slick, and other considerations

Molly
07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Fellows, drop by the thread "Bore polishing, NOT firelapping" in the Paper Patch forum. It's taken an interesting turn of discussing the tendency of at least some BP rifles to 'shoot slick', or to group poorly until the slick bores have been roughened up a little. I'm sure some of you can contribute personal experiences, facts, thoughts, legends or even outright speculations.

Who knows? You might even learn something too! (VBG)

Molly

Bent Ramrod
07-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Molly,

I've read that term a couple times, but the context indicated that everyone knew all about it and what to do about it, and no further explanation was given. There was mention in one of the old Shooting and Fishing articles that J. Francis (or one of those Walnut Hill people) had resorted to taking some sandpaper and a cleaning rod to his barrel, and improved the shooting qualities, but no size number or technique was described.

I'll read through the bore polishing thread and see what it says.

KCSO
07-14-2008, 02:05 PM
I was told by Bill Large that when a barrel went SLICK the cure was to put some urine in the barrel and cover it with a penny for 2 days and then clean it and use it. This would get you by till you had to recut.

carpetman
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
From what distance can you put urine in that barrel? This question should get some interesting responses seeing who can out ur uh well who can be the bestest.

Molly
07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I was told by Bill Large that when a barrel went SLICK the cure was to put some urine in the barrel and cover it with a penny for 2 days and then clean it and use it. This would get you by till you had to recut.

Ahhh, piss! Well, at least the salt water would cause enough rust to cure the 'slick condition', but I find it hard to credit as a way to improve a barrel. Sounds like either a sneaky way to cut down on match competition or a close relative of snipe hunting to me.

Molly