PDA

View Full Version : Walmart find

Pete P
04-14-2017, 09:53 PM

I found this at Walmart today in the camping section. It was listed as a new product and I purchased it for $9.88. It seemed to be a good deal. Just let everyone know.

runfiverun
04-15-2017, 11:21 AM
now I'm hungry.
I could just see that full of baking powder biscuits as the lid was being pulled off to the side to dump the coals off.

fatnhappy
04-15-2017, 08:30 PM
That is a good deal but........ personally Ill buy American made lodge cast iron every time. I have so much black iron kitchen furniture it's ridiculous.

Next week I'm taking the scout troop to valley forge. It'll be dutch ovens all week.

Oh wait...... this was about casting equipment.

tazman
04-15-2017, 09:24 PM
now I'm hungry.
I could just see that full of baking powder biscuits as the lid was being pulled off to the side to dump the coals off.

I'm glad I just finished supper. What you said would have set me off for sure.

MUSTANG
04-15-2017, 09:41 PM
looks like a good candidate for smelting lead. The small handle 180 offset from the large handle looks like a good temp perch for a set of vice grips right before lifting and pouring into the 1lb molds.

04-15-2017, 11:55 PM
The original non-stick cookware.

kycrawler
04-19-2017, 09:56 PM
I bought one of the 15 inch versions. Make a pile of bacon and eggs in a hurry

2011redrider
05-02-2017, 11:39 PM
I looked at those a few times, but , every time I am at my local Wally there seems to be broken parts on the shelf or cracked handles like this one. Also much thinner than the Lodge. They do run half the price of Lodge for the Ozark (Walmart) brand made in China.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q624/2011redrider/loadmaster/20170426_133030_zpsfrnvywrl.jpg (http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/2011redrider/media/loadmaster/20170426_133030_zpsfrnvywrl.jpg.html)

juan916
05-04-2017, 10:40 PM
I found the same one for less than 10

Freightman
05-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Wife bought a Lodge for $19.95 at Wal Mart for my Granddaughter's Pounding.

Master Samwise
05-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys , I just found this thread and found it useful

Master Samwise
05-20-2017, 09:41 PM
any chance they had the biscuit tin version?

Master Samwise
05-20-2017, 09:44 PM
OH! or maybe the corn bread?

Leadmelter
05-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Former Scout leader, I would buy one just to make blackberry or blueberry dump cake. I know it is usually a Dutch oven cooking cake.
I have to reference a Silver Beaver Archie Huggins from MI. He taught everybody to make great cheap meal. I never lost weight on a camp out. My son is an Eagle Scout and still uses the things he learned in scouting 15 yrs ago.
Leadmelter.
MI

bangerjim
05-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Great for cooking! Not so good for re-melting lead. Having large diameter will tend to tip and slop molten lead! Not good. Having the opposite side handle can be of some help with vice-grips, but still can be extremely wobbly with 60-100# of lead in there.

A dutch oven is far better....deeper, heavier, more stable. Ladle the melt out...do not pour it. I use a ladle that holds enough to fill 3 Lee/SAECO/RCBS mold cavities in one pour.

Good luck - be safe!

2011redrider
06-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Took a chance on a Walmart Ozark Trails Dutch Oven. lasted about 10 batches of range scrap before I noticed a crack thru the bottom of the oven. Time to return it and get a Lodge as I should have in the first place.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q624/2011redrider/image_zpsy1tnsrmf.jpeg (http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/2011redrider/media/image_zpsy1tnsrmf.jpeg.html)

halodub
06-11-2017, 02:47 AM
I actually just grabbed one of the 15" skillets the other day to start processing wheel weights; will be sure to keep an eye out for cracking and other things of the like.

NavyVet1959
06-11-2017, 03:52 AM
Wife bought a Lodge for $19.95 at Wal Mart for my Granddaughter's Pounding.

Using a cast iron pot to pound on a kid? That's child abuse these days, isn't it? Even back in my day, we never got pounded with anything heavier than a wooden cutting board.

Dragonheart
06-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Great for cooking! Not so good for re-melting lead. Having large diameter will tend to tip and slop molten lead! Not good. Having the opposite side handle can be of some help with vice-grips, but still can be extremely wobbly with 60-100# of lead in there.

A dutch oven is far better....deeper, heavier, more stable. Ladle the melt out...do not pour it. I use a ladle that holds enough to fill 3 Lee/SAECO/RCBS mold cavities in one pour.

Good luck - be safe!

Banger is absolutely right a skillet is good for cooking, but not melting or smelting lead. Trying to lift a big heavy pan with the added weight of molten lead is down right dangerous. It would be easy for it to get off balance and once it tips, possible disaster. If you want to smelt range lead then cut the top off an out of date propane tank. Weld a skirt around the tank to hold in the heat and you will have a first class and reasonably safe setup.

RogerDat
06-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Harbor Freight has a perfectly good cast iron Dutch oven for a very good price. Don't forget to print or load a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon on your phone. Easily handles 100# plus batches of lead on a turkey fryer.

Only thing I would note is while the bail handle will support the pot with some lead still in the pot DO NOT try to pick it up by that wire handle to dump the last little bit of lead. Pulling hard against gloves the heat comes through fast and it is really hot. Let us not discuss how I know this fact and just go with trust me on this. I tip the pot, slip a piece of angle iron under one side to keep it tipped a little bit and let the small "half-moon" of lead harden.... or at least I do now.

zymguy
06-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Harbor Freight has a perfectly good cast iron Dutch oven for a very good price. Don't forget to print or load a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon on your phone. Easily handles 100# plus batches of lead on a turkey fryer.

dont the legs get in the way of the HF dutch oven?

Dragonheart
06-12-2017, 09:08 AM
I never try to get the last of the lead out of my pot, in fact I leave about an inch and a half of lead to harden in the bottom of my propane tank pot. The reason is when I process another batch of range lead, the lead in the bottom of the pot melts much faster and in turn transfers the heat to the range lead which is a mixture of many things. By adding smaller amounts and stirring in the scrap floats to the top and is removed as the molten lead increases.

RogerDat
06-12-2017, 01:37 PM
dont the legs get in the way of the HF dutch oven?

Burner has gaps in the frame that supports the pot, just have to turn it so all the legs fall into a gap. My Wal-Mart fish fryer has a >< shaped frame with a circle piece below and around the burner so plenty of gaps. Wouldn't work as well on a flat burner I suspect.

The rusty cross pieces holding up the small pot are just angle iron I drop in across the main >< burner frame for doing smaller pots, remove those for dutch oven. I also stick one of them under one side to let lead cool and solidify when I'm done. Not quite covering the pot makes them easier to flip disk out of the bottom. So I tend to have half moon disks with Pb, or L2 or COWW written on them for use next time.

I do Dragonhearts approach, dropping the wedge shaped disk back into the pot flat on the bottom next time I do that type of lead. Having full contact with pot it melts faster and the molten lead transfers heat much better to the stuff sitting on (in) it. Really speeds things up. Especially clip on wheel weights which only touch at small points.

Walks
06-15-2017, 12:22 AM
Got a LODGE corn bread pan (the triangle type )at my local RALPH'S ( Kroger) for $15 w/tax last week. Seems they were blowing out the "fancy" cooking section.

sigep749
07-23-2017, 09:03 PM
I picked up a couple of the lodge corn bread pans, pie shape, and my ingots stick pretty bad, pretty stubborn to come out. Any suggestions?

2011redrider
07-23-2017, 09:11 PM
I started with cheap muffin pans from Walmart. First pour and they were glued to the pans. Sprayed them with some pb blaster graphite dry lube from Lowe's. Label says it's good to 850 degrees. Have powered over 400 lbs of muffin ingots and they just fall out. But, cast iron shouldn't stick. You might have to clean any seasoning to get the graphite to stick....

lightman
07-23-2017, 09:56 PM
I picked up a couple of the lodge corn bread pans, pie shape, and my ingots stick pretty bad, pretty stubborn to come out. Any suggestions?

Let it get a coat of rust on it. It will dump easier.

Tom W.
07-23-2017, 10:06 PM
I saw a banner at our local HF that said everything must go.... the store may be two years old. I gotta go and Snoop......

Shooter6br
07-23-2017, 11:14 PM
Got a muffin pan at thrift store. Bit rusty200288