PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 cavity screw size and pitch

Shuz
04-14-2017, 10:32 AM
I have a Lee 6 cav that has both sprue hold down screws that are buggered up. I'd like to know the screw size and pitch so that I could try and "chase" the threads with a die, but I don't know the size. I tried to find out info from Lee, but I could not easily navigate thru their site. Thanks for any help--Shuz

therealhitman
04-14-2017, 10:35 AM
Just call and they will send new screws for free. Wondering how the steel screws got messed up before the threads in the aluminum blocks?

Moleman-
04-14-2017, 10:44 AM
I have one 45 200gr mold of theirs that the sprue plate bolt stripped out of after 20 years or so of use. It'd get loose and I'd snug it down every so often. Either I snugged it down a little too hard once, or the heat/cold cycles finally had their way after the spring washer on it went flat. Just drilled and tapped it the next size up. In the future a threaded insert might be the way to go if another one does the same thing. And watch the spring washer to make sure it's not flat.

Shuz
04-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Just call and they will send new screws for free. Wondering how the steel screws got messed up before the threads in the aluminum blocks? I don't know either, but I bought this mould second hand and the previous owner had drilled and tapped the sides for set screws that hold the sprue plate screws in place. When I tried to take the sprue plate screws out to "dress" the underside of the sprue plate to remove minor lead smears, the screws came out real real hard and I found them to be buggered up with aluminum.
I figgered new screws will solve the problem since I have the set screws to hold the sprue screws in place in case the holes are sloppy.

fred2892
04-14-2017, 01:19 PM
You do know some Lee moulds use left hand thread screws, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moonie
04-14-2017, 10:24 PM
You do know some Lee moulds use left hand thread screws, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^
This

Shuz
04-15-2017, 09:23 AM
The Lee 6 cavity moulds all have right hand threads as far as I know. I did call Lee as therealhitman suggested, and they are sending me two screws for the paltry sum of $4.98. Thanks for all the suggestions.--Shuz

NikA
04-15-2017, 01:41 PM
They are 1/4"-28 on the six cavity molds, but as others suggested, I would call Lee for parts. The sprue plate bolts are shouldered to prevent over-tightening and reduce movement and would be difficult to replicate with hardware that is not special order.

Shuz
04-26-2017, 09:59 AM
I rec'd the sprue plate bolts from Lee,installed them and tried the mold. It casts just beautifully once again.

juan916
05-04-2017, 10:40 PM
I called and they sent me some for free

Shuz
05-05-2017, 09:46 AM
I called and they sent me some for free

Looks like it depends on who you talk to?