PDA

View Full Version : Sausage question

Boaz
04-14-2017, 07:14 AM
Pretty simple question really . Do you prefer sage in making or buying your breakfast sausage ?

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2017, 07:45 AM
yup but don't use so much it overpowers the taste

GhostHawk
04-14-2017, 07:56 AM
Lightly!

https://www.amazon.com/Morton-Sausage-Meatloaf-Seasoning-Mix/dp/B0082B3TU2

pworley1
04-14-2017, 07:56 AM
I put sage in all my sausage. As state, a little goes a long way.

JBinMN
04-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Yes. :)

buckwheatpaul
04-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Yes for sage....but a little dab will do ya!

Lance Boyle
04-14-2017, 09:10 AM
I'm still trying to find THE sausage recipe. Most recipes are for southern style breakfast sausage. In the NE diners in urban areas have bf sausage in big links like Italian sausage sized. Not sure how to describe the different taste but it is milder and different than southern style.

Anyone in the know on that?

MaryB
04-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Yes to sage, to much turns bitter when you freeze it so watch the amounts! Love my homemade sausage patties because they are 1/4 pound and cover an English muffin.

smokeywolf
04-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Depends on my mood. So far, the only sausage I've made at home is Italian sausage.

Hogtamer
04-15-2017, 05:48 AM
Sage is best when used in fresh sausage, that is pork that is uncured. Nitrate that is added to meat melds better with other seasonings. Yes the southern palate grew up on fresh sausage seasoned with sage, pepper and salt which is a different flavor than italian herbs and spices. The best sausage is what you like be it bratwurst, italian type or traditional southern seasonings. Stuffing tightly into real casings that when cooked yield a nice snap to the casings full of juicy meat.

Hickory
04-15-2017, 06:14 AM
Sausage Answer.
Sage is a good spice that enhances the flavor of pork.

Teddy (punchie)
04-15-2017, 06:37 AM
Sage we like it in stuffing (dressing) for turkey. I can't recall the amount we placed in 10 pound batch, if I recall 1 to 2 TP.

If you want to smooth out the taste buy good spices.

Sugar can sweeten. Sugar in anything that has tomatoes can smooth out the acid taste.

Too much black pepper can make things taste hot, black peppers acid changes after cooking and can be hard on the stomach.

Use tomato juice to mix. We use a blender after we measure all the dry spices.

basic :

10 pounds meat 2-3 oz. of salt . 3/4 to 1 oz pepper. Meat if deer switch out 1/3 for pork shoulder, if a buck a lean like late season we added some of the fat, other wise we trim off the heavy fat. Just tastes better with the pork added.

spices and other ideas to add to sausage, almost like making meat loaf, or meat balls.

Fennel
Sage
Cumin
onions and or onion powder
garlic and or garlic powder
brown sugar
tomato juice
even green, red peppers
bread crumbs
eggs

red pepper for hot 1-4 TP.

Time to rest and let spices work.

JBinMN
04-15-2017, 07:23 AM
I think I read someone asking about recipes earlier...

Here are a couple recipes that are close to some of the kinds we make, & show some of the ingredients. Saves me some typing by just copy/paste t the links... LOL

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16359/breakfast-sausage/

http://www.food.com/recipe/seasoning-for-ground-pork-italian-style-sausage-178446

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/bratwurst-recipe-1.html

Kind of like making /working up your own loads... LOL ;-) Ya have to experiment a bit to find what ya like.
:)
-----------------------------

Yes to sage, to much turns bitter when you freeze it so watch the amounts! Love my homemade sausage patties because they are 1/4 pound and cover an English muffin.

I make patties too, instead of the casing ones. Easier for us is the only reason, I think... Store them in the freezer in a bulk lump, then defrost when we want some, then make as we go to use.

We use breakfast style , Italian & bratwurst style spices, since sometimes we make sausage patties like hamburgers & serve them with buns or bread like a bratwurst pattie too. Tastes the same as the cased, but without the casings.

:)

Jailer
04-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Defenitely has to have sage for breakfast sausage. Simple recipe if you want to try your hand at it, adjust as needed to suit your taste.

Jimmy Dean Clone Recipe..

16 ounces (1 pound/450 g) ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage (or more)
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or more)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 teaspoon coriander

Boaz
04-15-2017, 06:23 PM
I thank you for the sausage recipes , that's a bonus ! Reason I questioned if you like sage in breakfast sausage is seems like most don't now days . I don't remember 'not' having breakfast sausage without sage , fact is more sage was used in it than mass produced sausage .

Younger folks have not been exposed to different spices , flavors and seem to like/accept bland food . The drive through burger joints peddle no taste , white , soggy , salty trash they call ...sausage . I can't eat it , it's trash product , survival food at best . All byproduct , garbage . Being a southerner I at the very least expect sage in breakfast sausage , smoked pork links come in second .

stubshaft
04-15-2017, 06:32 PM
I just use the three "S"'s for breakfast sausage. Sage, Salt and Smoke.

Preacher Jim
04-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Sage ground red pepper and fried

Boaz
04-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Sage ground red pepper and fried

Yep ! LOL , red pepper , sage and fried ...yes !

w5pv
04-16-2017, 10:55 AM
As long as it is not over powering,just a pinch

T-Bird
04-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Yes, to me sage is essential in breakfast sausage. When I make my "deer sausage" I use 5# lean deer ground, 3# ground pork butt ( for those of you that don't know, butt is actually shoulder), 2# pork fat- scrap from the butcher. To this 10# meat I add the recommended amt. of AC Legg seasoning for 10# meat, then I add 1/4 cup whole dried sage. Yes, this is fresh sausage. AC Legg is made here in Ala and is available online.

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2017, 05:35 AM
ac legg is a real good sausage mix for someone that doesn't do enough of it to experiment.