PDA

View Full Version : Using Fillers

Bzcraig
04-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Is there a "rule of thumb" when it comes to using fillers (thinking Dacron type) in rifle cases? As a hypothetical example: if the powder being used takes up less than 50% of capacity, is Dacron called for?

Larry Gibson
04-14-2017, 12:52 AM
There is a "sticky" several threads above this one called "Proper Use of Fillers".

Post #2. However, there is other information throughout the thread.

Larry Gibson

sharps4590
04-15-2017, 06:25 AM
Even though they're controversial I use fillers. Seems obvious big cases and small powder charges call for something. For me it depends more on the cartridge, powder and rifle than any hard, fast rule. In single barrel rifles and with the advent of powders like Accurate 5744 and Trail Boss as I get loads with up with them I am using fillers less. My biggest problem comes with old double rifles not Nitro proofed and acquiring the necessary velocity for them to regulate. Trial Boss will not generate the necessary velocity and I haven't worked up much with 5744.

Bzcraig
04-15-2017, 09:23 PM
There is a "sticky" several threads above this one called "Proper Use of Fillers".

Post #2. However, there is other information throughout the thread.

Larry Gibson

Thanks Larry

upnorthwis
04-16-2017, 09:15 AM
I have my own general rule for fillers: Don't use them just because you "think" you need to when the load has no problems. The only load I use a filler for is .43 Mauser to keep the light load of 5744 against the primer to keep it from hang firing. Fillers will raise pressure, but so will more powder.

GhostHawk
04-16-2017, 11:07 AM
Listen to Larry, he knows his stuff.

Also no fillers needed with Red Dot.

I have tried fillers in 7.62x54r with very low loads of IMR 4895, got down to 20 grains, worked back to 28. At 28 grains I could see no difference between loads with and without. But I was not measuring holes either.

Then I figured out that 6-12 grains of Red Dot would do the exact same thing for 1/4 to 1/2 the cost. And I can stockpile one powder instead of many. YMMV

oldblinddog
04-16-2017, 10:42 PM
No filler needed with Unique.

Texas by God
04-16-2017, 11:03 PM
I used toilet paper tamped down on the powder on .357 mag level loads in a .358 Norma mag. Worked great to prevent hang fires but that's the limit of my experience with a filler.(if TP is considered a filler)
Best, Thomas.

Hick
04-16-2017, 11:37 PM
The above mentioned sticky is very good, but has so much detail it can become confusing. I've read it multiple times and come to the following summary. If I am using fast burning powders (think pistol powder in small loads and cast bullets) I do not use a filler. With all the rest of the powders (medium and slow burning), I use a filler any time I am loading below 75-80% of case capacity. I use Dacron. In reality, this means I don't use fillers very often, because with cast bullets I mostly use the fast powders in small amounts, and when I am shooting jacketed bullets I'm generally shooting with loads above the starting load in the handbooks-- which is virtually always more than 80%. There are times, however, when I am trying to slow down a bullet for various purposes and start getting below the starting loads-- and that's when I start running into the situation of being below the 75-80% range.