PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with Tramadol pain medication?

RogerDat
04-13-2017, 11:44 PM
Had some back surgery and post surgery can't take any Advil type drugs for pain, only Tylenol but I can't take that since I'm allergic to it. Apparently post back surgery the bone and nerve healing benefit from the inflammation because inflammation triggers things that cause healing to be more rapid so no anti-inflammatory meds for pain.

Doctor came up with Tramadol, now I'm currently enjoying the opioid withdrawal symptoms from weaning off of oxytocin, almost through that and not sure I want to start back up on another potentially addictive drug. Have heard horror story from one person and not too bad from another. Fair amount of that online too, one that struck me was the description of Tramadol as a pain killer and anti-depressant means withdrawal the same as any other opioid but due to the anti-depressant withdrawal you can't stop crying about the opioid withdrawal cramps, dry heaves, chills and sweats.

So I guess I'm looking for more feedback from folks that have been there, done that and at what dose. How bad was stopping, how did it effect you while taking it. for example can you drive or cast without feeling like you were stoned?

Recluse
04-13-2017, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately, I do and it wasn't good.

First off, I found it's "pain relieving" effects to be sorely lacking. Secondly, it's every bit as physically addicting as any opioid you could be prescribed short of something like Fentanyl, which is incredibly addictive--both physically and mentally.

I was prescribed Ultracet--which is a combination of tramadol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) for just over a decade. It took me almost THREE YEARS to finally wean myself and system off of it. I've been totally prescription-drug free now for almost two years and am somewhat paranoid about ever having to go through that again.

Compared to the tramadol, getting off the opioids was a cakewalk.

Just my experience.

:coffee:

akajun
04-13-2017, 11:59 PM
I got prescribed it for a pinched nerve because I could take it and still go to work. It helped, better than ibuprofen but less than Percocet. I had no addiction symptoms after 3 weeks

Greg S
04-14-2017, 12:03 AM
It's in the same class, (opioid) so it will help with withdrawl but it is just an opioid replacement. If the opioid dependance is established will remain. There is no free lunch.

Tramadil was designed for back pain.

flyingmonkey35
04-14-2017, 12:30 AM
I am currently o it off an on for the past three years for chronic back pain. (bulging disk and a pinched nerve) i can go off it with out any issues for months on end until i get a flair up. Its not as good as some of the other stuff. But i can work on it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

nvbirdman
04-14-2017, 12:33 AM
You have my sympathy.
About fifteen years ago I was prescribed a strong painkiller (opioid?) and felt so bad when I quit it that a year ago when I had dental implants I told them whatever painkiller they gave me, make it weak. Still have fourteen left out of the twenty they gave me.

Duckiller
04-14-2017, 12:35 AM
My wife like it as a pain killer and so did various dogs. Both used 50mg pills.

RogerDat
04-14-2017, 01:01 AM
Well I'm going to call the doctors office before I fill prescription. Find out the dosage. I think it will only be for 10 days or so. But after 10 days of oxy I tried to quit too fast and wife almost called EMS, took 1/2 a pill and an hour later the symptoms were going away.

I herniated a disk a few years ago, and have had problems off and on since then. The vertebrae shifted a bit, the disk wore down a bit, and then bone spurs developed, pinched the living snot out of the nerve roots going to my one leg. Surgery was to remove some bone and make room for a couple of nerve branches. I lost the sharp pain running from hip to knee so the surgery may be a success from that standpoint, too soon to tell if low back pain will go away with those nerves not being pinched and irritated. Right now the surgical ache has replaced it. A couple of Advil would probably knock it down but Nooo can't do that.

RogerDat
04-14-2017, 01:08 AM
I got prescribed it for a pinched nerve because I could take it and still go to work. It helped, better than ibuprofen but less than Percocet. I had no addiction symptoms after 3 weeks For me the addiction withdrawal symptoms come on if I don't take any for around 12 - 14 hrs. Currently down to 1/8 of original dose one time a day, symptoms come on stronger and fade in waves throughout the day but are tolerable. Guide I used is reduce dose by no more the 50% at a time and stay there for 5 days before the next reduction. Should be last dose on Easter, sort of appropriate that eh?

Remiel
04-14-2017, 01:14 AM
I have used and still use tramadol because of my shoulder(4 pins and multiple anchors to reattach the rotator cuff), it is not the best pain killer on the market but it takes enough of the edge off in the small doses that I take, which is what I wanted, as far as addictive qualities , I have not noticed any, unlike viccodin and others I don't feel the need to keep taking it or upping the dosage. One of the biggest issues I have it a high tolerance for pain killers (thanks dad) and I need 2x the amount of viccodin or hydrocodone than tramadol. But each person is different.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

lefty o
04-14-2017, 01:24 AM
for me it was worthless, did absolutely nothing. i do know people that suffered seizures from it, so side affects are real.

Multigunner
04-14-2017, 01:28 AM
Tramadol is a non restricted drug in most of the US. It was and is a commonly prescribed drug by veterinarians to control pain of dogs with joint problems such as arthritis and hip dysplasia. They also use it for cats.

Never had any problems with it. There's no buzz of any kind so its not something anyone is likely to take recreationally. never heard of a market for it on the street, but who knows.

Works better than anything else for me. I build up a resistance to opioids very quickly. if I haven't taken an opioid for months then they will work for a few days then have zero effect no matter how high the dosage. Never had that problem with Tramadol.
They certainly don't make me the least bit sleepy.

shoot-n-lead
04-14-2017, 02:56 AM
RogerDat..prayer sent for a quick recovery and freedom from the pain meds.

rondog
04-14-2017, 05:54 AM
I've had it before but can't recall specifics about it. Most painkillers don't work well for me, some give me itching problems, and most mess with my sleeping real bad. Tramadol was one I swore "never again", but I can't say specifically why.....

44deerslayer
04-14-2017, 06:38 AM
My black lab jake took 3 tramdol in the morning and 3 at night for 3 years he had cancer and it really helped him I could see a difference from the days that he was out of his scrip

10-x
04-14-2017, 06:42 AM
All, guess Im a lucky one, Tramadol works perfectly for me and as others mentioned for our current Grey, both of us are on the 50 mg dose. Grey has kidney failure at 10 1/2 years + so he has to( we) watch his use. Works well for myself, L-4 and L-5 are grinding each other, the old screwdriver twisting in spine feeling. Been to pain management Md for 7 months, shots, some work, most do not so Tramadol takes care of 90-95% of sharp pain. After last six shots last month guess maybe had 10 total Tramadol. OTOH, most of my close friends or their wives have had no luck or bad side effects from Tramadol, guess its up to how each individuals body reacts to it. Md perscribed 1-2 pills 2-3 times a day, only took 2 twice a day at the worst time last summer - fall. Now I can go 2,3 or 4 days and maybe take 1 Tramadol . Next step is burning the nerve. Good luck with your problem, hope it gets better.

bob33809
04-14-2017, 07:26 AM
Been on for 7 years for bad back problems. It can be addictive so be careful. Works well for me to help me sleep at night.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

xdmalder
04-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Smoke some pot.

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2017, 07:42 AM
I suffer chronic back pain. Heres my take on it. I HATE opioits. They make me so sick to my stomach id rather have the pain. Then add in the constipation and you can have them. Its sometimes real tough. Got up this morning and I can barely walk but usually if I get up and going it at least its bearable. My wifes one that pops a pill for a hang nail. Ive had 5 back operations and usually dumped them after 3 or 4 days and just buck up and live with it. Only consession I take to this train of thought is I take a trazadone at night before bed to help with the pain a bit and it also acts like a sleeping pill so I can at least sleep expectably. Theres a bottle of oxycodone and liquid morphine in the gun safe for just in case but it can stay there unless the pain is so severe I cant breath!! Even tried a chiropractor but that about killed me!!! NEVER AGAIN

JimB..
04-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Wife was up to 6 or 8 a day for back/hip pain, but has since reduced to 0 most days due to alternative treatment. She hasn't mentioned any withdrawal symptoms after a year of use.

FWIW, one of the generic versions works well for her, while another does not. It is not readily explained, but if it isn't working ask your pharmacist to swap companies.

GhostHawk
04-14-2017, 07:51 AM
Wife has tried Tramadol and had no problems getting off it.

Her drug of choice is Tylenol and codeine.

wch
04-14-2017, 08:00 AM
I use Tramadol about once a day (on wake up), I uae about 60 over two months.
I am not addicted, but as most seem to feel, pain relief is minimal.

rondog
04-14-2017, 08:03 AM
FWIW - I bought a cheap "inversion table", the things you hang upside down with, used it 3-4 times and it helped my lumbar stenosis a lot. And I've never hung upside down with it, I only go far enough to slant me head-down some, just enough to take the compression off and let my spine stretch out some. Gotta be careful, if you try to go too far or upside down right off the bat, you can freak out all your back muscles and throw 'em into spasm.

But I hate taking pain pills, I keep some Vicoden on-hand just in case, but those things make me trip when I'm trying to sleep, and make me itch all over too, especially my nose.

TexasGrunt
04-14-2017, 08:42 AM
I rode the Tram for about two years. It actually worked very well for me till I had a major flareup in my back. I only took it as needed and had no problems with it.

Beagle333
04-14-2017, 09:43 AM
It works for me when I need it. I have venous stasis ulcers on my leg/ankle and I sometimes need one at night (3-5 nights a week) to help calm the ol' leg down as it changes sizes after laying down. It usually gives me enough relief to get to sleep. It is not nearly as effective as Percodan (can't take actominophin, so no Percoset), but they are stingy with Percodan these days. I have never noticed any need to increase my Tramodol, not any problems when I don't need it, but then I only take one a night, and only a few days a week. I guess it doesn't build up much dependency in that dosage. I would not think it would provide nearly enough relief for any really serious pain, as it only takes the edge off of my leg pain for an hour or so, but that is sometime enough to let me slide off to sleep.

Ken in Iowa
04-14-2017, 09:44 AM
I am currently o it off an on for the past three years for chronic back pain. (bulging disk and a pinched nerve) i can go off it with out any issues for months on end until i get a flair up. Its not as good as some of the other stuff. But i can work on it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

That is is pretty much my experience. I started using it after developing an ulcer from NSAIDS. Tramadol makes me relaxed but not stoned. It is a good sleep aid.

my sympathies to those suffering from pain and withdrawal from painkillers.

runfiverun
04-14-2017, 10:15 AM
for me it works like codeine.
I still have the pain I just don't care that it hurts.

I have seen it make others taking it about as loopy as if they took 4-5 muscle relaxers.

DCP
04-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Tramadol pain medication
I am able to drive a school bus . I take one in am and 1 at noon. It doesn't kill all the pain, but if I dont take the one at noon. I know I didnt take it.

jcwit
04-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Tramadol pain medication

I am able to drive a school bus . I take one in am and 1 at noon. It doesn't kill all the pain, but if I dont take the one at noon. I know I didnt take it.

Does the school district know you are driving a school bus while taking narcotics?

Just asking!

DCP
04-14-2017, 10:58 AM
Does the school district know you are driving a school bus while taking narcotics?

Just asking!

Absolutely, I even pass drug test for the last 10 yrs It does not efect driving

mold maker
04-14-2017, 11:25 AM
No personal experience, but the wife has problems with back, hips, and knees. She has tramadol and says it does almost nothing so she doesn't take it. The only heavy drugs I ever had was when I had 7 teeth pulled and they cracked my jaw. I took one oxycodone and the side effects were over the top. I still have the rest, but prefer the pain to the side effects.
I expect if I had much more severe pain I might think differently.

ChuckJaxFL
04-14-2017, 11:36 AM
My experience was positive.

I ended up taking it for cervical pain. I'm the guy that winds up silly on even the smallest doses of most narcotics. A small dose of tramadol was enough to take away the sharpest of the pain without me acting like a drunkard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
04-14-2017, 11:56 AM
I currently have a family member who's going through methadone treatment because of tramadol. She absolutely abused it. All I heard was how non addictive it was and how she was fine. Lots of stolen things later she's finally getting the help she needs. Be careful w/ it because it's just as additive as other pain killers.

jcwit
04-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Absolutely, I even pass drug test for the last 10 yrs It does not efect driving

That's good! But I did do a Google search and for many folks it does effect their driving.

I take hydrocodone, and can drive with that in my system.

It's a good idea tho to have your prescription bottle with you just in case!

lefty o
04-14-2017, 03:40 PM
That's good! But I did do a Google search and for many folks it does effect their driving.

I take hydrocodone, and can drive with that in my system.

It's a good idea tho to have your prescription bottle with you just in case!
prescription bottle wont save you from a DUI.

Blackwater
04-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Roger, the hardest thing about many meds today, and perhaps all of them really, is that "human variability" factor. One person can take meds that another may not. I've had a bit of experience with that sort of thing, and as you note about the opiates, it ain't no fun a'tall when you have bad side effects. But the worst part is you can't know what will affect you badly and what won't until AFTER you take them! This is the "Catch 22" in the deal.

It's a lot like food allergies. One man can eat a tomato and just relish every bite. Another may break out in hives, and even go into anafalaxis if they eat one. And you can't know or even guess until AFTER you've tried them!

I'd be a poor one to give advice, but such as I have is that it may be best to just try it initially, and if bad side effects ensure, ask the doc ahead of time whether you can stop it suddenly, or whether you need to "taper off" it. In this life, we're just not always given to know how things will work until after we try them. This is just one of those type things. Good luck, my friend.

RogerDat
04-14-2017, 03:44 PM
RogerDat..prayer sent for a quick recovery and freedom from the pain meds. Thanks for that. Seems like there is a fair number of us out there.

Appreciate the information. I'm going to talk with the pharmacist too. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain and a low tolerance for drugs. I guess you could say I get a lot of bang for the buck with pills.

Funny to see someone else allergic to Tylenol (acetaminophen) I guess it is an uncommon allergy. Had a script for vicoprofen (with advil) rather than vicodin (with Tylenol) after my disk problem for that reason, and Dr. would prescribe that on an as needed basis. Was my chicken switch. If pain was bad enough I couldn't sleep or get any relief then I would take one. Never more than a couple of days, generally at night so I could sleep. If I took it more than a couple of times a day for about 4 days I would spend a couple of days with flashes of flue like symptoms. So I kept use under that threshold.

On one hand we dispense drugs like candy that make pot look like mothers milk for side effects, on the other hand the government and nanny types are cracking down so hard people can't get what they need for chronic pain. I wouldn't want to be addicted but if it was a choice between an addiction or raging pain, I guess I would rather take drugs that left me addicted.

And it is also pretty clear Dr's don't really know how it will effect the individual. Or if it will be effective or detrimental.

cpileri
04-14-2017, 04:01 PM
It does seem to help w pain, though I agree w many above that it is mildly analgesic.

Prob w withdrawal is not so much the opioid but the serotonin withdrawal syndrome. that can be unpleasant as well.

here's the short Wikipedia entry on it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol#Physical_dependence_and_withdrawal

Walkingwolf
04-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Smoke some pot.

That would depend on if pot is legal where the OP is, and the strength of the pot. Really potent pot probably would not be a good idea.

scarry scarney
04-14-2017, 06:03 PM
I was on it, 50 mg x 4 times a day. Cut the pain to mostly tolerable. In the morning, I would drive to work, then take the first dose.

I quit taking it, because it really wasn't helping, just masking the pain and not the issue. Finally seeing a neurologist, he is having me try another drug, and is considering Botox injections for specific locations. But, on the flip side, I'm alive!!!!!

For my wife, it would knock her loopy.

woodbutcher
04-14-2017, 08:44 PM
[smilie=b:I have taken Tramadol.I would have had better results from eating a handful of M&M`s.Waste of my time and money for script and Dr`s office visit.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Beagle333
04-14-2017, 08:57 PM
I just took one and it'll kick in about 45 mins to an hour from now. Bedtime then! C'mon relief!!! I just wish it would knock me loopy, but they don't do that to me.
If it'll just stop the stabs, I'll deal with the throbs.

MaryB
04-15-2017, 12:14 AM
When I first started with back issues I was prescribed it, then it was removed form the market in MN due to the black box warning for heart failure. It wasn't working much for me anyway so they switched me to percocet then when I raised the question of liver toxicity and all the acetaminophen they switched me to up to 3 Oxycontin a day and percocet for breakthrough pain as needed(up to 6, I rarely take more than 3, I have to be in the I cannot move status to take more). Never suffered any signs of addiction to any, I stop and start them as needed and if I have a good pain day I skip them. My doc trusts me to manage my dose as needed after 8 years of not increasing the doses.

Detroitdanm
04-15-2017, 02:36 AM
My 88yo mom takes a half pill a couple times a day for her severe arthritis. It gives her some relief but also makes her very tired, so she usually naps right after taking it. Not as good as her previous meds, but they took those off the market for potential heart issues. My brothers dog also takes it for arthritis too, helps keep him going.

sawinredneck
04-15-2017, 03:46 AM
Tramadol was initially an antidepressant, but it was found to just knock people out so now it's a sleep/pain medication. I used it years ago as a sleep aid, the less you take, the better it works? Odd, but true. I had a shrink educate me on it.
Years later I took it for chronic pain, well, it went bad! LUCID, VIVID dreams! I mean messed with what littles left of me bad! I was having an affair on my wife, she was having an affair on me, and we were both fine with it? Then the girl I was having an affair with comes up pregnant and I find out it's my wife that I've been having an affair on?
Yeah, I'll NEVER take Tramadol or Oxycontin again! Thank you, NO!

iomskp
04-15-2017, 04:01 AM
Be afraid be very afraid.

Regards Trevor

LUBEDUDE
04-15-2017, 05:53 AM
Tramadol was initially an antidepressant, but it was found to just knock people out so now it's a sleep/pain medication. I used it years ago as a sleep aid, the less you take, the better it works? Odd, but true. I had a shrink educate me on it.
Years later I took it for chronic pain, well, it went bad! LUCID, VIVID dreams! I mean messed with what littles left of me bad! I was having an affair on my wife, she was having an affair on me, and we were both fine with it? Then the girl I was having an affair with comes up pregnant and I find out it's my wife that I've been having an affair on?
Yeah, I'll NEVER take Tramadol or Oxycontin again! Thank you, NO!

I believe that you are confusing Tramadol with TRAZADONE.

I used to sell Trazadone in a previous life. Your description fits Trazadone to a T. It was/is indicated for depression, but as you stated it is mostly written as sleep aid.

I used to sell ethical narcotics as well. Tramadol was originally indicated by the FDA as analgesic and always has been. Just a few years ago they made Tramadol a Federally scheduled drug number 4. Now a state can always upgrade it to a more dangerous number like a 3 or 2 if they wish.

For my 3 three blown discs and degenerative disc disease I can not feel any effect of Tramadol whatsoever.

Lloyd Smale
04-15-2017, 07:54 AM
I do take trazadone everynight. Its the only pain med I will fool with any more. Don't want nothing to do with the opiates. Way to many bad side effects from them. One trazadone at night lightens up my back pain just a smidge and also has the benefit of giving me a fair nights sleep. Without it I'm up 20 times a night tossing and turning. As to theo opiates ill say this. they didn't help me sleep. As a matter of fact they make me restless. they also cause constipation which is something else that will keep you up all night and feeling like SH** all day. I live with chronic pain. 5 back operations, a hip replacement and an ankle replacement in the last 5 years. I will take there narcotics for two or three days after surgery but that's it. After that id rather live with the pain. Might take a ibiprophen (spelling) or two a day but that's it. Ive also watched my wife and a neice struggle with opiate addiction. It might not happen to you but its an easy hole to fall in and my guess is if you've been taking it for a few years whether you like to admit it or not your an addict. After all one of the first signs of addiction to a psychologist is your denial of any problem what so ever in you using it. thankfully doctors are starting to wake up to this HUGE problem and its getting tougher every day to get the prescribed to you. Used to be you could about get them for a hang nail. You can say "Lloyd your pain level is obviously not high enough to need them" but sorry it is. I struggle every day with chronic pain. I think its more that some are tough enough mentaly to handle it and some aren't. problem lies though in that those that aren't are usually the ones not mentaly tough enough to avoid the addiction.
I believe that you are confusing Tramadol with TRAZADONE.

I used to sell Trazadone in a previous life. Your description fits Trazadone to a T. It was/is indicated for depression, but as you stated it is mostly written as sleep aid.

I used to sell ethical narcotics as well. Tramadol was originally indicated by the FDA as analgesic and always has been. Just a few years ago they made Tramadol a Federally scheduled drug number 4. Now a state can always upgrade it to a more dangerous number like a 3 or 2 if they wish.

For my 3 three blown discs and degenerative disc disease I can not feel any effect of Tramadol whatsoever.

TexasGrunt
04-15-2017, 08:46 AM
My new VA doctor has upped my dose of sustained acting morphine. It's making a big difference in my quality of life. With my chronic pain having a constant level of pain relief is the ticket. I wish I could just go back to taking Tramadol as needed but those days are long gone.

Some judgemental people might say I'm addicted. Be that as it may. Without the pain relief I wouldn't be here.

dmdracer
04-15-2017, 10:28 AM
folks, I can relate to this and offer another "cocktail" sp? that my orthopedic presribed for me that helped very well

I have had 4 back surguries, the second one was rods and screws installed, I have had back problems since my first disk operation when I was 20 yo...I'm 66 now and the last two have been the last 3 years to remove some bone problems.... very familar with back pain !

Tramadol 50 mg and Gabapentin 300mg was prescribed, started with 1 of each a day for 3 days, then 2 each for another 3 days and then 3 each per day there after.

I no longer take these since I'm doing pretty good after the last "bone" removal, feel better than I have for years, not perfect but soooo much better... thank you Jesus !

Suggest you chat with your Dr. about this and perhaps it will help you too.

Good luck to all that has back issues

Daniel964
04-15-2017, 07:05 PM
I've been on it for about 4 years now for scoliosis. I wouldn't be able to work without it. My back pain was so bad when I got home I would lay down to rest for a couple of hours. When my wife got me for dinner she would have to help me to get up. I would then use a walker to go to the living room where she would bring me something to eat. It would start over again the next morning. I also go to physical therapy about 4 times a year. Usually 3 to 4 visits each time. I take the tramadol up to 4 times a day when working. On my days off I often don't need to take it at all. After I've had one of my physical therapy sessions I'm often able to do without it for a few weeks while working but the pain always returns. I have no noticeable side effects and get along fine without it if I'm not in pain.

tygar
04-15-2017, 08:01 PM
I have used it before & just in the last 2 weeks for root canal pain (thank the VA for making me wait 10 days to get it done). It worked better than the T3s for that pain, but I don't take it much even though have had it prescribed for ortho pain for many years due to 8 herniated/ruptured discs, 2 spine operations, DJD of everything, etc, etc,. I find it, more than T3s or straight codene, can make me feel spacey & sometimes nausiated if I don't ensure I eat & drink milk prior to taking it. The root canal Dr. gave me some Hydrocodone & I took 1/4 of 1 pill that first night, then nothing else.

I can't comment on being addictive as I take any "opioid" very sparingly. As someone said above, I hate taking drugs, even though I have lots of pain. Tylenol & Flexoril, is what I try to stick to.

I have found a Korean PT guy, schooled here, but uses oriental stuff also. He has done wonders on relieving pain but it takes quite a while & once treatment stops, it will eventually come back & need more treatments.

I just picked up 1k+ lbs of mono/foundry yesterday. Loading & unloading & my back hurts bad - but am just using the tylenol/flexoril.

Got to do something about all that lead. Now have over 5K in lino/mono/foundry.

MaryB
04-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Gabbapentin caused me memory issues, I switched to Lyrica for fewer side effects

folks, I can relate to this and offer another "cocktail" sp? that my orthopedic presribed for me that helped very well

I have had 4 back surguries, the second one was rods and screws installed, I have had back problems since my first disk operation when I was 20 yo...I'm 66 now and the last two have been the last 3 years to remove some bone problems.... very familar with back pain !

Tramadol 50 mg and Gabapentin 300mg was prescribed, started with 1 of each a day for 3 days, then 2 each for another 3 days and then 3 each per day there after.

I no longer take these since I'm doing pretty good after the last "bone" removal, feel better than I have for years, not perfect but soooo much better... thank you Jesus !

Suggest you chat with your Dr. about this and perhaps it will help you too.

Good luck to all that has back issues

samari46
04-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Tramadol didn't do anything for pain. Lyrica had me stumbling around like a drunk. Only take Gabbapentin before I crash for the diabetic neuropathy. That is the only pain med I take and if I'm going out during the day I don't take any meds until I get back home for good. Frank

David2011
04-16-2017, 02:28 AM
OMG, everyone, this is frightening. I'm on hydrocodone right now due to a total knee replacement last week. I'll be off of it asap and grateful that I'm not taking anything any stronger. May God be with every one of you dealing with chronic pain.

David

RogerDat
04-16-2017, 03:05 AM
OMG, everyone, this is frightening. I'm on hydrocodone right now due to a total knee replacement last week. I'll be off of it asap and grateful that I'm not taking anything any stronger. May God be with every one of you dealing with chronic pain.
David My approach with oxycodone was to quickly reduce dose to 1/2 pill instead of full pill but at same frequency. Then after 4 days reduce frequency by 50%. Then the dose by half again for 4 days. By the time I was at 1/2 pill in the evening I had some symptoms of withdrawal that came and went all day but they were manageable. The 1/2 pill at night backed the withdrawal and pain off a bit so I could sleep while my body got adjusted to not having narcotic.

Gabapentin only is really effective against nerve pain. Where the nerve itself is the source. I was taking it for the pinched nerve for awhile. It helped somewhat without doing a whole lot for my bad knee or bone spur in a shoulder. Advil was more effective for those things. It was sort of weird in that it turned pain running down my leg into numbness running down the leg.

Am taking the Tramadol 1x a day 50mg at night, I can take it 2x a day as needed, I decided I was only going to need it once. I'm using ice during the day.

Man once the warranty expired seemed like something new starts acting up every month... :mrgreen:

Lloyd Smale
04-16-2017, 06:09 AM
lyrica doesn't effect me like that.
Tramadol didn't do anything for pain. Lyrica had me stumbling around like a drunk. Only take Gabbapentin before I crash for the diabetic neuropathy. That is the only pain med I take and if I'm going out during the day I don't take any meds until I get back home for good. Frank

johnson1942
04-16-2017, 11:11 AM
i asked my wife who is almost done with college for a nurse practitioner and has a masters in nursing about the med. she said it is a good pain med but addictive. im a retired nurse and some of the newer meds i dont know about. what i have experienced with many patients and my self on addiction is this. some are easily addicted and some not. im not. when i was on a couple of morphine based drugs for cramps and spasms after gallbladder surgery i got tired of taking them and had no side affects or anything from stopping them. i was on them for a couple of months as i had west nile at that time also. when i stopped ativan i got a sour stomach for one day. i had no drug addictions problems at all but some do, its how our bodies are made. i got much better results with my post gall bladder surgery and west nile symptoms with a nice glass of italian sour red wine. walked better and no muscle cramps. to this day i have one glass of red wine a day.

woodbutcher
04-16-2017, 02:05 PM
:D I should have also mentioned that I take two 7.5/325 hydrocodone a day.I break them in half and take a half every 6 hours.Keeps my pain level at about
a 3 vs 8.As far as constipation problems,if I feel that coming on,I just fix something good and spicy using jalapenos and in about an hour no more symptoms of it.But better use an asbestos liner after taking the cure;).
Leo

WickedColt
04-17-2017, 12:45 PM
I hope you feel better! By the way, from what I have read, Tramadol works as an opiate antagonist (IE: Puts people using opiates in instant withdrawal). It was not fun for me when I took it and actually made it hard to take a leak.. I was only like 20 years old at the time (when I think this was pretty new) but it was just not good overall.

RogerDat
04-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Ahhh hard to take a leak. Reminds me of the definition of old guy. Hair is getting thinner as prostate is getting fatter. I get drowsy after taking Tramadol. But then I take it when the pain is worse and that is usually from being too active so tend to be pretty whipped anyway. Drive to doctors is 20 miles, sitting in lobby waiting, then sitting in exam room, then 20 mile drive back. The car ride is the worst. Riding in the car the muscles of the lower back are constantly flexing to accommodate movement. That would be the muscles they cut for surgery so it really irritates things.

Get home from that and I'm in pain and pretty tired out so the two together mean nap time attacks.

gatortommy
04-28-2017, 03:27 PM
With all that stuff, the less you can take the better.

Lloyd Smale
04-29-2017, 07:50 AM
well ive been taking it for about a week now. Had another bad back flare up and found out from ct scans that I have 5 new bulged discs. I told the doctor no narcotics. I don't like the way they make me feel and the terrible constipation. After a week ill say this. Do they help? yes. Are they as good as narcotics? I don't know. I guess id have to take both at the same time to compare. Do they alleviate the pain? No. They take the edge off but just like narcotics if taken in the prescription dose levels (not the hospital levels) they don't eliminate REAL pain. Id say I was happy with the results if it weren't for the fact that they constipate me as much as the narcotics. Doctor prescribed some laxative yesterday but I'm about sure that's going to be one of those ticking time bomb things like most laxitives are. I even tried stool softeners and they didn't help @@@@ I don't know whats worse the pain or the constipation! Doctor said maybe with time my body would adjust to them and id be regular again but the opiates never did.

TexasGrunt
04-29-2017, 08:35 AM
As far as the constipation. Eat a big bowl of raisin bran for breakfast. Eat an apple or two every day. Take senna two senna tablets twice a day.

I'm currently taking 45 mg of morphine SA twice a day. I've also had 35 radiation treatments for prostate cancer which also affects the area around the rectum.

By following the above I rarely have any constipation. The key is LOTS of fiber and LOTS of water to help the fiber.

Lloyd Smale
04-29-2017, 10:03 AM
I do eat a bowl of raisin bran every morning and do eat at least one apple a day. I also take a couple stool softeners every day. Must just be my system. Maybe too like the doc said if id give it a chance maybe my system would level out after a while.

RogerDat
04-30-2017, 11:41 PM
Yeah people are different. Same drug that will help one person a whole bunch won't touch another persons pain. Or drugs to treat anything for that matter, some people get a lot of improvement, others not as much, and some get nothing. Don't forget the study that found it effective was based on overall. If some people got a lot of relief it covers a lot of people who got no relief. If 50% got relief and 50% got nothing it still works out to average as effective at reducing symptoms 25% in the test group.

I'm a little pissed, the surgeon said he would have been fine with advil a week after surgery provided my incision was healing well. Advil has very minor impact. Tylenol has none so preferred not mandatory. Heck I bet Advil would have even helped with the mild withdrawal symptoms.

I got a fair amount of relief so far glad I got the surgery. Do get a back ache from doing too much, and some pain in the hips but so much less, and some of that should improve with time.

woodbutcher
05-02-2017, 11:14 AM
;) Pain meds CAN be a two edged sword.Let me tell you about a friend in Alabama who was badly hurt at work because of an idiot coworker.Had a lot of pain after going home from the hospital.Did`nt like the way he felt taking the pain meds.SOOOOOOOO he quit taking them.After a bout 10 days his wife noticed that he was not really looking well.Was very grey faced.Took him to the emergency room.Just lucky his doctor was there.Boy did the fur hit the fan when he came in to see him.VERY elevated BP,and his doctor told him he was about 4 hours from a massive stroke because of it.He was told start taking the pain meds or I will no longer be responsible for your condition.He started telling his wife that he was going to take his pain meds from then forward.He said it would be easier to get off pain meds than to crawl out of a grave.
Leo