PDA

View Full Version : forcing cones

johnson1942
04-13-2017, 01:59 PM
doug guy has my 45 long colt uberti cimarron cattleman cylinder. its new and stainless steel. i just got in the mail today the 11 degree forcing cone cutter kit from brownells. i thought the forcing cone on my new cattle was ok but when i started to slowly cut over it it could be seen uberti/s forcing cone from the factory was really really ruff. i dont know what they use for a forcing cone cutter but there was grooves and machine marks in there factory cut. it was really really ruff. now it is perfect and very very smooth. i dont have time to day but im going to polish it out to be like chrome finish in the next couple of days. i put this post up for those of you who have several revolvers and shoot lead bullets. for 85 dollars from brownells you can redue all your forcing cones to way better than factory. they have other degree forcing cone cutters if you prefer those angles. i wont have to rent one any more and i have a couple of friends who i can do their revolvers and wont cost them a dime. hope this helps someone.

44man
04-14-2017, 09:13 AM
I have the tools but it seems I never have enough pilots to fit all the bores. Having a lathe, I cut my own from brass. You need a perfect fit in the bore.
I have cut many Rugers but my BFR's are perfect and never need a thing.

DougGuy
04-14-2017, 09:40 AM
No need to mirror polish it, in the first 100 rounds boolits will smooth it out and if you do polish it, they will dull it until it takes on the finish it will have after firing. I do NOT recommend lapping with the brass lap included in the kit, since this simply replaces the rings you just smoothed out by recutting the cone. What I do is take a small rectangle of fine Scotchbrite, poke a hole in it and put it on the rod, wrap it over the brass lap and use the lap to press the Scotchbrite into the barrel. Pulling on the rod and turning just a few turns will give all the polish that is needed..