PDA

View Full Version : Better than the tinsel fairy

pjames32
04-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Ugly mess this morning. Cast boolits yesterday afternoon. Refilled the pot when I finished, let it melt, but did not flux. Turned off overnight.
This morning I turned it on and went upstairs for breakfast and shower. Apparently the shut off valve was not completely seated and with the pressure of 20lbs molten it leaked, about 10lbs of the mix. I shut it off and cleared the mess outside the pot then turned it back on and cast the remaining 10lbs into ingots. The valve worked fine. Cleaned it up and put back in about 10lbs of the globs. Need to melt or cut up 2 blobs to get them into the pot. It is now shut off again and I will return to cast more boolits after lunch.
I've cast 10,000+/- boolits with this pot with only 2 empty/clean since new. Its clean now so I'll see what happens. Guess I won't heat up the pot in the future unless I'm present. I know I can put that time to work cleaning up a bit in my reloading room.
PJ

Mk42gunner
04-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Yeah Drip Fairy just doesn't have the same ring, does it? Glad nothing real bad happened.

Robert

ShooterAZ
04-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Yes, never leave the pot unattended.Looks like an RCBS Promelt, surprised that it leaked like that. Must have been some crud in the valve. I would not be surprised in least if it was a Lee pot. Either way...keep an eye on them.

pjames32
04-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Heating it up again (with an ingot mold under). So far, It's good!

Naporter
04-12-2017, 03:49 PM
No kidding. My Mr. Drippy will usually have a spire of lead under it by the time it gets hot. Luckily, this nice tall spire blocks the spout, so it eventually stops.

Still, for the price, the Lee does fine. For the price of that RCBS unit, I can get 4 or 5 Lee's. Been using one for several years now and it still works. They're cheap enough I just bought another one to run a different alloy without the hassle of clean out.

OuchHot!
04-12-2017, 04:00 PM
I have found that out myself, also with a promelt. I don't blame the pot. What I think happens is the part of the pot melts and heaves or floats up the valve rod. I usually shut off when about half full and on startup, let it melt before topping up. I had exactly the same response you had, a full pot in the tray I luckily set below the pizzle.

ravelode
04-12-2017, 05:58 PM
That's why my Lyman 61 rests on a cookie sheet just in case :groner:

pjames32
04-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Finished my project this afternoon. No additional problems or drips. Left the pot about 2/3 full when I shut it off. The result of about 5 hours total. A little over 35lbs. of NOE 358-128. Started to get some finning at the base so I quit. Think the mold got too hot. I'll let them sit a while then size and lube. Water dropped with my alloy about 13.4 bhn. I'll check them in a week or so.

gwpercle
04-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Wait a second....I was told only those God awefull LEE Drip O Matic bottom pour pots leaked....
You mean the expensive Good ones will do it too....my Oh my , do tell. The truth comes out.

I keep a aluminum deep dish pie plate under my Lee ...now ! Been there and done that !
Gary

blikseme300
04-12-2017, 08:11 PM
The watched pot never boils...

RogerDat
04-12-2017, 08:15 PM
The drip fairy, just one of those joys that ladle casters never get to experience. I'm trying to feel deprived... but failing. :kidding:

lightman
04-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Uh, ProMelts don't usually do that!

runfiverun
04-12-2017, 10:29 PM
sometimes the lead at the bottom melts and there is an inch or so on top that isn't melted it holds the rod in place while the melted lead runs out the bottom.
I have a magma pot I have to heat the top of with a torch because it is famous for this type of stuff.
real fun when it drips down on a cold mold in the master caster locking everything up making a real mess of things.

pjames32
04-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Didn't want to start a Lee vs RCBS tread. I've owned a dripomatic. It didn't leak every 10,000 rounds, it leaked always. I'm pretty sure this was operator error (ME).

pjames32
04-12-2017, 10:31 PM
R5R-that's exactly what happened. This old geezer learned something today.

Bzcraig
04-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Had a similar experience with my Lee, just checked but deleted the pic.

rondog
04-13-2017, 02:48 AM
Meh, I'll stick with my dipper. I'm a low-volume shooter and caster, so that's all I need. I'm sure a bottom-pour would just give me trouble.

w5pv
04-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Put a little piece of shim stock an when the pot drips on it drips on the shim and can easily be returned back to the pot.

OuchHot!
04-13-2017, 03:00 PM
I think it is most likely with the pots that have a vertical valve rod. The un-melted material lifts it up. My lee pot hasn't (so far) done this. I start up the pot half full and never have a problem. It is also easier for the old man to carry around after a session.

OS OK
04-13-2017, 04:06 PM
"Conspiracy Theory! . . . Fake News" You must be trying to ruin Lee's reputation! The picture surely must be 'Computer Generated!' . . . :bigsmyl2:

Blackwater
04-13-2017, 05:11 PM
I've long used a dipper and an open pot (Lee Magnum Melter) because I REALLY don't like putting my eyes down at the bottom of the pot. I HAVE, however, heard that crimping some vise grips on the lever helps greatly in keeping the pot from dripping, and that at least kind'a makes sense, though I've never tried it. Part of me wants a bottom pour, but as yet, I haven't pulled the trigger on it. I can be such a coward sometimes, especially when it comes to my good looks! :mrgreen:

Texas by God
04-13-2017, 05:14 PM
That's why my Lyman 61 rests on a cookie sheet just in case :groner:
That is a very good- should have thought of it myself- idea!
I too have had the sand castle of lead form under my Lee pot a few times....

fastdadio
04-13-2017, 06:56 PM
I keep a loaf pan under my Lee 10lb spout any time it is unattended. The pan holds more volume than the pot. I also keep a 4 quart sauce pan covering it up when I add lead to the hot pot just in case the fairy comes to visit. I hold the sauce pan in one hand and use it like a shield when adding the ingots to the pot and then leave it there till the mix is melted fully.