PDA

View Full Version : ? Anyone recognize this Powder measure -

Pavogrande
04-12-2017, 02:04 AM
Acquired about 6 PM's in various stage of disrepair --
I have not identified this one --- pacific? CH? lachmiller? it is sort of pacific blue -
Two others appear to be RCBS lil dandys but have a set screw on the side of the body while my rcbs parts drawing only shows one at the bottom -- older than 1986?193071193072

Pressman
04-12-2017, 07:41 AM
New ones to me. Interesting though.
Ken

gnostic
04-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Lachmiller, because of the style and color...

mdi
04-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Looks like a Harrell or "Culver style".

Pavogrande
04-12-2017, 01:49 PM
I kind of got my photos mixed up -- the left photo is the "rcbs" the right the "unknown" -The other PM at the top of the right photo is also a "rcbs" -- both the "rcbs" had remnants of rcbs reservoirs and a Hexagonal body -- Note the lever arm on the charge rotor --
"unknown" appears to be a square casting -- also has a lever arm on rotor but the rotor is a larger diameter --
thanks for all your comments

David2011
04-13-2017, 11:02 PM
The green one looks like an RCBS Lil Dandy with an added on long rotor screw and a lever added to the rotor. No idea on the other one.

David

Green Frog
04-14-2017, 05:34 PM
I'm going to enter my guess that the blue one is what's left of a pretty severely modified Bair which developed from the old Pacific Pistol Measure. Is the rotor made of brass and marked at one end for 2.0 to 7.0 grains or so of BE (Bullseye) or UNQ (Unique) powder? The added drop tube is what is throwing everybody off, and the base plate to mount it to the bench is missing as well as the clear powder reservoir and blue(?) plastic top.

OK, what do I win? :mrgreen:

Froggie

gwpercle
04-14-2017, 06:17 PM
I looked through all my old "Handloaders Digest" books (1960's and 1970's ) the only two items with any kind of square castings/parts is:
1.) Bair Pistol Measure, came with 1 fixed rotor, $15.50 you specified powder and charge weight, extra rotors were $3.50 each. Bair used a blue color.
2.) Bonanza Bullseye Pistol Powder Measure. For Hercules Bullseye powder ONL $14.95 , 1 fixed rotor of your choice, extra rotors $1.50.
I'm not sure of colors...small black and white photos in book .
The more I study the photo's I do not think the photo on the left is a Bonanza . The photo on the right might be an older Bair (Bear)(Pacific ) pistol measure, the blue color is right and the basic shape is about right, it's hard to tell with one photo.
If Pressman couldn't ID it , then it has to be real obscure .
Gary

30calflash
04-14-2017, 07:01 PM
I've one that looks like it, same color blue but I don't recall any markings on it or the rotors other than the rotors were brass with the #'s stamped on one end, corresponding to the measurement of bullseye powder.

The reservoir is about 5" long, has a blue cap that plugs the end. Got it with about 8 rotors years ago. Works great when cases are in a MTM case block, easy to move around the block with the size of it not blocking the view.

I'll look to see if thee are any markings on it.

TNsailorman
04-14-2017, 07:16 PM
There is a Pacific powder measure for sale on Ebay right now and the lower unit is exactly like the above picture, color and all. james

jimkim
04-14-2017, 09:25 PM
I found a picture of a Bair. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170415/f2431951cc009972b04590235be45fba.jpg

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Green Frog
04-14-2017, 10:03 PM
Winna, winna, chicken dinna! I've got one LNIB, but prefer the earlier Pacific version (which is painted black and has a brass reservoir... I've got a couple of those as well but am still trying to "flesh out" my collection of rotors. :mrgreen:

Froggie

30calflash
04-15-2017, 12:03 AM
Looks like mine also, although I do not have the mount base.

LGS had one NIB a couple years ago, no rotors though.

Pavogrande
04-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Sorry went away for the holiday so have just got back to thread --
Color of the "unk" is closer to green than pacific blue --
The rotor is marked with a number 4 - have not measured its cavity capacity though -
Rotor is about .684 diameter and brass -
It does not have a clamp -- the tang on the side is threaded 7/16 with a brass cap screw, washer and nut for mounting --
While it is a casting it is alum and the base is machined flat including the the tang -
There is a large head brass finger screw to lock the rotor in --
The casting portion of the drop tube is threaded for a brass drop tube --
I will try to make some better photos but my camera skills are exceeded only by my computer skills -

Thanks to all for the info and photos --