PDA

View Full Version : This could make you sick

henry8734
04-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Can you guys talk me out of trying to salvage 1k Remington 9.5 magnum primers as well as 2k cci br2 benchrest large rifle primers? Long story short... my father inlaw had me clean out his shop the other day that he stuffed with all his stuff last year. Of course his two drawers full of reloading stuff would be placed under a leak in the roof. The drawers were wet... I finally was able to pry them open and found the goods.... before I decided they were garbage (at least 50$ a box) I decided to safely try one with a hammer. It went off... I opened the rest to get air to them all...

What do you guys think? It does make me wish I had found them before they got wet

Henry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Omega
04-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Let them air dry, most should be ok. Been there, only had one or two failed to go bang.

M-Tecs
04-11-2017, 08:41 PM
On two occasions I have give a total a 8K of primers that have been wet. 6k had been fully under water for 3 days. After they dried I test and they worked so I used the for shooting prairie dogs. Accuracy was outstanding. I did get maybe one per thousand that didn't fire. As long a not corroded I will use them for practice and fun loads.

nagantguy
04-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Had a few thousand large rifle primers that survived a very smokey fire;more water damage than fire damage,the guy had a filing cabinet full of primers, the drawers were full of water,I took the large rifle and my buddy took the large pistol primers when the owner,another friend threw them away,I have about one in every 100 that don't go bang,same for the pistol primers so we use them for plinking ammo,no worries! All the ones that do work work just like new cci primers,0 hang fires zero squibs !

henry8734
04-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Gosh that's such great news! And I'm sure glad I'm not the only one to get to experience such a thing! Thank you all for sharing your experience!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tazman
04-11-2017, 10:17 PM
My experience mirrors the other posters. Use them.

Walter Laich
04-12-2017, 06:18 PM
priming compound is wet when they put it in the cups--keeps things from going boom!

After it dries it is ready to use

Yours just had another bath and after drying out will be ready to go, again

Wouldn't use them in self-defense loads but short of that they will be fine

captain-03
04-12-2017, 06:24 PM
My experience mirrors the other posters. Use them.

Same here!!

TNsailorman
04-12-2017, 06:58 PM
I can't remember ever having water getting into any of my primers but I did try an experiment several years ago. I laid out 5 CCI large rifle primers and put one drop of water on each of them. I did the same with 5 more but this time I put one drop of oil on them. I allowed them to sit for 2 days and then wiped the remaining water and oil from them and loaded them as normal with IMR 4895 powder and a 150 grain Hornady bullet in 06 cases. Took them to the range and all 10 fired. I had just one hesitation in one of the oil primers and that was all--just an ever so slight hesitation--just enough to be able to tell it. Not much of a test I guess, but it set my mind at ease. james

lefty o
04-12-2017, 07:00 PM
water, oil, just about nothing kills primers. they probably wont fire when they are wet, but once they dry out, they will almost always fire.

Wayne Smith
04-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Look at each primer before you load it, make sure it still has the compound in it. Otherwise they should be good to go.

mdi
04-13-2017, 11:44 AM
I'd punch them out/salvage them for future use. "There's only one way to eat an elephant, that's one bite at a time". I'd have a container of the cases to be de-primed handy and something to store the primers in on my bench so I could poke out as many as I felt like, when I felt like it. I'd like to find some empty primer trays and if I felt like doing 200, fine, and if I only felt like doing 50, that's fine too. My bench is set up with a Rock Dock and it takes about 30 seconds to switch presses from my Co-Ax to my Pacific C press dedicated to de-priming...

flint45
04-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Used up 1500 primers that had gotten wet they all went boom just dry them they should be fine I put mine out in the sun for a couple days then in a warm garage.Shot most of them, some I still have they still work 17 years latter don't use mag large rifle to much that is what is left. most were CCI small pistol.

Big Tom
04-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Just don't dry them in the oven or microwave and you will be fine ;-)

lefty o
04-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Just don't dry them in the oven or microwave and you will be fine ;-)
that is an excellent point. ya never know what someone will try.