PDA

View Full Version : best place for custom mould?

will52100
07-13-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm interested in having a custom mould made. I've never had a custom mould made before so I'm a little lost. I do know I vastly prefer aluminum to cast iron.

What I'm looking for is 350 grainish round nose flat point .458-.459 big lube design to be used with black powder and in a RCMP 1876 Winchester. I've got a good idea of what I want the bullet to look like, just need to sit down and draw it up.

The thing is I don't want to commision an ultra expensive piece just to try a design out. I would pic Lee, and may do so yet, but I've heard there around 6 months on delivering.

Any ideas and suggestions are aprciated.

thanks,
Will

Ramslammer
07-13-2008, 07:14 AM
G'Day Will
Try Cast Bullet Engineering, down here in Australia. He has a lot of different designs and there may be one that suits. I've got one of his 32/20 molds and it's a ripper!
Juddy

500bfrman
07-13-2008, 07:30 AM
www.mountainmolds.com is always a good choice.www.mountainmolds.com

6-10 week wait right now. I just ordered a couple friday night.

scb
07-13-2008, 11:47 AM
FWIW, I can endorse both CBE and Mountain Moulds. Their work is outstanding. Steve

TedH
07-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Another vote for Mountain Molds. I just received one I designed with his online program. It is exactly what I wanted and the actual wait time was not nearly as long as the estimated time.

Blammer
07-13-2008, 02:32 PM
try mountain moulds first, they have really good ones.

22cf45
07-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I have had molds made by Hoch, David Mos, and B&W (Barry Darr). They are all excellent and shoot very well.

Now, if it ever comes to me having to design the bullet, I'm in deep trouble. I just contacted these guys, explained what I wanted to do with the bullet, sent in a chamber & throat cast, supplied the twist of the barrel, the alloy I wanted to shoot, and depended on the custom maker to know better than I what I needed. So far, it has worked out well.
Phil

Firebird
07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Mountain Molds won't do this bullet, he has stock lube groove sizes that he makes tooling (cutters) for, and doesn't want to bother with big lube groove designs that would require custom tooling for him to make on his lathe.
Check out the "Custom Mold Makers" sticky at the top of this forum and contact them with what you want and what it's for. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone to make it, but it will probably cost more than Mountain Molds.

mstarling
07-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Ballisti-Cast bought H&G and makes their molds pretty much as H&G did ... and the product seems to me to be as good as original H&G mold.

If I were looking for a US based mold maker ... I'd give them a call!

grouch
07-14-2008, 08:59 AM
How about LBT?