PDA

View Full Version : Belding & Mull .30 Cal 5 Cavity - Need Information

mfraser264
07-13-2008, 12:35 AM
A few years back in a local gun store back on the really back shelf I spied a mold, old but in good shape for little money. It is a Belding & Mull, .30 caliber, stamped SQUIBB 30 CAL. 169 GR. G.C.. Is is a gas check design, pointed, one good lube groove and the lube above the check. Smaller stamped letter are A.F.P. 1-11-24. It is in great shape. closes well, no rust, no burrs, made well if it as old as I think. Anyone have history on this? Would it work in .308?

Thanks,

Mark

Maven
07-13-2008, 08:41 AM
You're right, it is a Squibb-Miller design that was produced by various manufacturer's, e.g., Hensley & Gibbs (#20), Lyman (#311413), and maybe others as well. The bullet can be very accurate in .30cal. rifles if you size it to fit your bore and if you don't push it much beyond 1,600fps. NV Curmdgeon gets great accuracy from it: Search for his posts on it.

floodgate
07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Maven:

That is the Squibb spitzer, allee-samee Ideal #311413 and H & G #20; the "Squibb-Miller" was a plain base, tapered-body flat point of the Pope type. These are among the first designs brought out by Belding & Mull in the early 1920s.

mfraser264:

That is a GREAT mould; I've never seen a B & M 5-cavity and I envy you! From what I can see, it is made like the 8-cavity .30 cal. Ideal Armory moulds, and must be pretty heavy. Search "Squibb" here and you will find a lot of info on this bullet; though reportedly a bit finicky as to proper alignment with the bore, it was designed for use in the .30-'06 and did very well if loaded carefully. If you ever get tired of it, let me know...

Floodgate

Maven
07-13-2008, 01:36 PM
floodgate, There's a H & G #20 on E-Bay as I write. I knew it was a Squibb bullet, but the Miler part threw me. Thanks for the clarification! The seller describes it as a Squibb-Miller design, but this wouldn't be the first time a seller has erred in a description. (And don't even ask me about how many times a rectal suppository mold has been touted as a bullet mold, even as an "exotic" bullet mold.) Btw, bidding has +5 days before it's completed and I don't have any desire to bid on this one.

quasi
07-16-2008, 01:44 AM
I have a Cramer version of this bullet. Afriend loves them in his K-31.

Bret4207
07-19-2008, 07:55 AM
If you read the old Rifleman mags or the old Lyman books you'll see at one time the Squibb was THE boolit for the '06. I continue to seek one, to honor Mr. Squibb if for no other reason.