PDA

View Full Version : Answered a Newspaper Ad ~ 2lb lead bars $0.10 per pound and Misc Reloading Items

waarp8nt
04-10-2017, 09:54 PM
I made a friend this weekend and it all started with my sister texting me a picture of an ad from the local newspaper.

So, I called right away....to my disappointment all I got was a message, however I also sent a text. About an hour later I get a call back and the voice on the other end said come on over and take a look. Curiosity got the best of me so I left within a half hour.

Upon arriving a met a nice older lady & her friend, after a little chit chat we went to basement where the stuff was located. I was in amazement at the amount reloading equipment and quality. I started to look over the stuff and the lady pulled out a vernier sight and asked "what is this". I told her it is likely a sight for one of your husbands rifles, they sell from $50 to more than $500 new and that the price depends on the quality and brand. I advised her she should it put it back and not sell it, because if she did sell it and had the rifle she would regret it. She asked a few more questions, I think to size me up...just to see if I was honest. I was honest and straight forward with all the questions and helped her sort through some of the stuff. I ended up buying a Lyman Mag 20 furnace, a Lyman black powder measure, a RCBS digital scale and 30 lbs of lead (I paid more than $0.10 per pound).

A few days later, to my surprise, I get a call back from her. She said I know you like that old shooting box of my husbands and you were honest with me...I want you to have it. I told her I did like it, but would be happy to pay her something for it. We set up a day and time for me to come back. That Saturday afternoon I went back, she had sold a few things; a Lyman press and RCBS beam scale and some shotgun reloading equipment. She asked if there was anything a new reloader might want, so I set a few things to the side and explained the items. I asked her if it was "OK" if I bought a few more things...she said sure. I bought a Waage Furnace, a Montana Vintage Arms Measure, 45/70 reloading components and some misc. Muzzleloading Supplies.

I was hauling the stuff upstairs and she reminded me to not forget the shooting box. She absolutely refused to take anything for it. I told her if she need advise on any items she was selling to give me a call, while I am not an expert, I would be happy to come over and give her a 2nd opinion on value and/or the best place to sell it. Here is a picture of the box, it is made from wood then covered in leather with separated compartments in the bottom;

Bzcraig
04-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Wow, just wow!

Bazoo
04-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Might get yourself a plate of home cooked vittles if'n you're lucky.

ReloaderFred
04-11-2017, 12:36 AM
You treated her right and she appreciated it. There are so many vultures out there who prey on widows and take advantage of them in "going out of life" sales.

Kudos to you, sir.

Fred

OS OK
04-11-2017, 02:37 AM
I was just this evening thinking about this scenario...likely is that my wife will outlive me too and I lay in bed this evening wondering what I could do to ease this business of liquidating my shop and all the equipment in the barn...you know some of us old farts collect a lot of gear over the decades, a lot of expensive machinery.

Good on you for treating her with respect and honesty...two severely lacking traits in the human race today. Perhaps someone will do it for your wife too now that you have the karma thing going for you.

charlie

mdi
04-11-2017, 06:58 PM
I think I'd send her some "thank you" flowers...

gray wolf
04-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Pat on the back for good guy

JohnH
04-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Must be the week for it. Took the wife to a junk/antique shop hadn't been to for a year. And there they sat, two rough halves of lead pigs. Been there untouched for a year. Guy wanted $75 a piece for them last year. As we were walking out I asked about them, and the fella asked what I'd give. I hemmed and hawed a little and he asked if I'd give $30 for both. One weighed 33 pounds the other 35. Galena smiled

pjames32
04-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Proud of you that you were up front and honest with her. All we her are the horror stories. I hope my wife can find someone like you when I pass. You paid it forward and she appreciated your honesty. She will call you again!

DestructionDan
04-11-2017, 09:37 PM
You sir are one of the few left in this world.
I'm not all that old, but I remember that being normal. Now adays normal is screw everyone as much as they can.

Smk SHoe
04-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Wife and I both started a book each titled " I'm dead, now what". Her's has all the really important info ( passwords, account numbers,stuff I'll need), and mine has a reasonable list of my stuff and approx value and a list of shooting friends that will help her sell it.

lightman
04-11-2017, 11:46 PM
Wife and I both started a book each titled " I'm dead, now what". Her's has all the really important info ( passwords, account numbers,stuff I'll need), and mine has a reasonable list of my stuff and approx value and a list of shooting friends that will help her sell it.

Thats a good idea! When I retired I sold a lot of the stuff in my shop that my Boys would not want. Went on to the closets, drawers, garage and the attic a little later on. Just got through dealing with an Attorney getting powers of attorney on each of us, setting up an estate, a will, ect.

Lostknife
04-12-2017, 10:24 AM
My biggest fear is that my wife will sell my "stuff" for what I told her I paid for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LenH
04-12-2017, 11:03 AM
My old mentor died about 4 years ago. He called me about 7 years ago and told me he had some lead he needed to get rid of and he would cut me a deal.
I got 200 pounds of Lyman #2 for $50. He said he had more but would dig it out. We were in his reloading shed (heated & AC) and I noticed he had price
tags stuck to everything and I mean everything. I asked him what was going on and he said that he would be 80 soon and that his wife wouldn't know
what it was worth and started selling everything off. I picked up some nice revolvers from him.

He dug out more Lyman #2 and the price had gone up dramatically. I asked him what the heck and a Dr. at our gun club offered him a dollar a pound
for the next 200# and I told him to call the Dr. back because at the time it was a bit much but he did sell me 50# of linotype for $20.

Hardcast416taylor
04-12-2017, 12:19 PM
I find it funny that I also have been asked to put a `ball park` value on both reloading items as well as firearms from widows of old shooting friends that have gone to the big reloading bench in the sky. After I help with values and write it down for them and ask if I could buy any of the items, I am told to wait for them to mull it over. I never get a return call because they either gave the stuff to a relative or did a `take it all for one price` deal to a friend of a friend to a cousin! I have since the last time stopped doing this for just being a friend.Robert

mdi
04-12-2017, 12:31 PM
I too have instructions for my wife for my toys after my demise. I have a list of gifts (my Pastor gets my Ruger SBH and my 1911 [mainly 'cause I can't be cremated with a loaded .44 Magnum], one friend gets my AK and M1, my Elk Hunting sister in Christ get my 308, my other rifles go to a select few, reloading equipment, components and factory ammo goes with the appropriate guns, and I asked another to help her sell off anything left). I figger the guys will come over after I'm gone and divvy all my stuff up with very little hassle for my wife..

justingrosche
04-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Just goes to show, good things happen to good people.

nagantguy
04-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Good for you;being an honest man is still worth the hassle it sometimes causes! Proud of you!

fiberoptik
04-13-2017, 06:31 PM
My wife and daughter say when I go they're putting up a sign saying "free stuff!" All while whining how I didn't get enough life insurance!! Told them that was the inheritance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waarp8nt
04-14-2017, 10:39 AM
I'm going to wait until after the Easter Holiday and give her a call. I found a tool that goes with one of her late husbands rifles. I want to make sure she gets it back.

She and her husband both retired from good jobs. She is smart and a pleasure to talk too. One of those people who have been there and done that....I'm afraid folks like that are going to be a thing of the past.

mold maker
04-14-2017, 12:31 PM
A really good friend who just went through pricing his Uncles stuff and selling some of it for the Aunt, has agreed to do the same for my Wife and family. He is the one that I trust, and is very knowledgeable. I know there are several pieces he will want and his name is already on them for the service he will provide. Having began this collection over 50 years ago, I have no idea of some of the current values and the family never showed an interest. At least this way there won't be a fire sale with only a few bidders.

04-19-2017, 05:10 AM
Then you admittedly were not helping out for the sake of helping out. Expecting something in return is not an example of paying it forward. I hope if you get an opportunity to help out a widow in the future and that you'll do it simply for the sake of helping your friend's widow.

I find it funny that I also have been asked to put a `ball park` value on both reloading items as well as firearms from widows of old shooting friends that have gone to the big reloading bench in the sky. After I help with values and write it down for them and ask if I could buy any of the items, I am told to wait for them to mull it over. I never get a return call because they either gave the stuff to a relative or did a `take it all for one price` deal to a friend of a friend to a cousin! I have since the last time stopped doing this for just being a friend.Robert