PDA

View Full Version : H&G mould question

Sghinds
04-10-2017, 08:25 AM
I have 2 (new to me) moulds and have a question about the screws used. All seem to be original, but on one of the moulds, the screws are flat head and on the other, all the screws seem to be hex head (even the one on the handles). Did they update these around a certain year and I would assume the hex are the newer style?

I was also wondering if more people just collect H&G moulds or do you actually put them to use. I am a little torn at the moment. I am not one to just collect something without using it. I shoot all my guns, some more than others, but I wont own a gun I'm not willing to load a round and fire once in a while. But these moulds are like new with handles (#68 4 cavity and #503 4 cavity). These are the some of the gold standard moulds for their calibers, but the condition almost makes me want to hold onto them for a rainy-day.

DISCLAIMER- They are not for sale.

https://preview.ibb.co/bJRDBQ/HG_Moulds.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/cynLrQ/HG68.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/gq2Wy5/HG503.jpg

dale2242
04-10-2017, 08:41 AM
I don`t know about the screws, but I cast with my two 4 cavity H&G molds.....dale

LenH
04-10-2017, 09:03 AM
I have 3 H&G molds, one 4 cavity #50 .38 WC and I updated the screws to the handle with some set screws and roll pins to keep the bottom of the mold flush. The original screws
were flat head handle screws and were extended out of the bottom of the mold.

The other 2 molds all have flat head screws through out but the handle screws are recessed into the blocks making a flat surface. These two molds are a 6 cavity #73
145 grain 38 SWC and the other is an 8 cavity @242 160 gr. .45 SWC mold.

I cast with these molds and are a pleasure to cast with. The 8 cavity is a beast and a pot drainer. The 6 cavity is not as heavy as the 8 cavity but it is
a pot drainer also. I have the shelf kit that has helped with the big block molds.

jsizemore
04-11-2017, 01:21 AM
The 503 is probably a later San Diego and the 68 is from Oregon. If your scared to use them I'll be happy to put them to use. With proper care they'll look as good after 100 uses as they do today.

Piedmont
04-11-2017, 07:02 AM
I have several H&Gs. They are wonderful. Use them and make sure to be careful and get oil on them after use. You appreciate them. Treat yourself and go first class. They will be almost as good after years of use from someone who is careful. It isn't like you would retire on the value difference between and unused mold and a mold in very good condition.

I suspect the hex screws are replacements but don't know that. Mine are of the two types mentioned by LenH.

Devon
04-11-2017, 02:13 PM

I think they both types of screws are factory. If you will notice the mold blocks that have socket head screws also have socket head hinge screws on the handles. The mold blocks with slotted heads have hex head handle hinge screws. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Taterhead
04-13-2017, 04:00 PM
I've never handled an H&G mold. Those are beauties!

Sghinds
04-13-2017, 08:38 PM
I've never handled an H&G mold. Those are beauties!

Thank you. These are my first and you can tell they were built by true craftsmen. Everything is tight fitting and smooth to operate. I normally would not buy them but I could not pass them up for the price I paid.

brassrat
04-14-2017, 05:08 AM
I made a deal with George so might as well cast a bunch