PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else make walnut hill type dies?

GaugeGreer
04-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Ive made the swaging press detailed in the sticky's above and now i need a set of dies. A quick email to the maker of walnut hill stuff yeilded a not so helpful email and a statement that he would not sell dies to me because i did not actually own a walnut hill press. So im at a sort of crossroads here. Do i take my spare blank ram and machine it for the big corbin H dies? Do i bushing down my ram for the small 5/8x24 corbin dies or find someone else to make the needed dies? I want a set of .224 6s dies to make .223 bullets from 22 lr cases. If i machine the ram for either of dave corbins dies i need to know the internal dimensions of the ram for the internal punch and ejection system. Any help would be appreciated

Zbench
04-09-2017, 08:07 AM
I'd say the H dies are the way to go. Dave Corbin will happily sell you dies no matter where you got your press. I can post the dimensions for the ram later today unless someone beats me to it.

GaugeGreer
04-09-2017, 01:15 PM
If you dont mind pleas post them. I plan on going this route as it seems this company has the best support.
I know the ram is threaded 1x12 tpi. Need the depth of threads. Depth of pocket and diameter of internal punch pocket and the length and width of the ejection slot. Pictures should help. Thank you in advance

uncle dino
04-09-2017, 03:24 PM
http://www.corbins.com/csp-spec.htm. Here's a link to h press specs hope it works...d

GaugeGreer
04-09-2017, 05:49 PM
That doesnt give enough dimensions to machine the ram.

Zbench
04-09-2017, 08:04 PM
From one budding machinist to another:

The slot is .275" wide

The slot is 4.5" long

The bottom radius of the slot is 6.875" from the face of the ram

The threaded portion of the ram interior is approx .925" in diameter. The minor diameter of 1" x 12 TPI is supposed to be .898" It is a loose fit and the dies thread on with no resistance whatsoever.

The ram is bored out at .925 to a depth of 5.375" from the face of the ram. You can see the bottom of the bored area in the one picture. For reference, the internal punches have bases which are .875", so there is about .050 of clearance in the ram.

Hope this helps.

GaugeGreer
04-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Just to clarify the slot is measured 4.5 inches center to center on a .1375"R or is it measures from end to end? For the purpose of this we could leave the 118 degree tip angle on the bit for the pocket. But ive got a drill cut to make square shouldered blind hole.

Zbench
04-09-2017, 08:40 PM
The slot is 4.5" long from the apex of one radius to the apex of the other. I don't think you need to get too concerned about the length of the slot, +/- .125 is probably good enough.

GaugeGreer
04-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Good deal. How far does the slot go into the press frame when the press is in its lowest position?

GaugeGreer
04-09-2017, 09:19 PM
The slot will hold the punch retaining pin and the ejector block correct? This is so the press when the ram is lowered causes interference with the press frame, the ejector block and the internal punch causing the bullet to be pushed from the die..if that is the case and the kockout block was made from .250x.500 3 inches long then the slot would only need to extend .500 or so below the pocket..am i right?

GaugeGreer
04-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Im doing some ciphering and i believe the mega mite spec ram will have to be 1.750" inches longer than the ram for the WH dies. Someone correct me if i am wrong as i am traveling into undiscovered country..

GaugeGreer
04-09-2017, 11:51 PM
From one budding machinist to another:

The slot is .275" wide

The slot is 4.5" long

The bottom radius of the slot is 6.875" from the face of the ram

The threaded portion of the ram interior is approx .925" in diameter. The minor diameter of 1" x 12 TPI is supposed to be .898" It is a loose fit and the dies thread on with no resistance whatsoever.

The ram is bored out at .925 to a depth of 5.375" from the face of the ram. You can see the bottom of the bored area in the one picture. For reference, the internal punches have bases which are .875", so there is about .050 of clearance in the ram.

Hope this helps.

My tap drill chart shows the drill size to be .9219...just .003 under your measurements. . Im. Guessing the die is a loose fit because that .925 is inline with a drilled hole for 75%thread fit

Zbench
04-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Gauge,

I think you need to rethink your approach on the slot and associated bore depth. If you were only going to make one bullet of a certain length, you could do what you indicated. However, there is considerable difference in length between a 220 grain 308 bullet and a 52 grain 22 bullet. My press came with 5 different backer blocks of various heights, from like 3/8 to 2" to account for this.

Further, the press has three linkage points. Swaging is done on the one that moves the ram the least (the one closest to the frame). When the cross pin is in that location, there is 2 3/8 of slot above the press frame when the ram is all the way down. When it is all the way up, the bottom of the slot is about .25" above the press frame. You should do the same calculus on your ram to determine where the slot should go. If it's more or less than 4.5", I think it will be fine.

GaugeGreer
04-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Ok. Ive got this figured out. .my press has two pivot points like the walnut hill. In the swaging mode it should have a 3 inch stroke. I am drawing the ram to try out.. if it doesnt work as intended ill make another and report my findings.

475AR
04-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Ok. Ive got this figured out. .my press has two pivot points like the walnut hill. In the swaging mode it should have a 3 inch stroke. I am drawing the ram to try out.. if it doesnt work as intended ill make another and report my findings.

If you do get a ram for the WH press that uses H dies I would be interested in getting one if you plan to make a few.

GaugeGreer
04-10-2017, 07:31 PM
This is for the castboolits press fabricated roughly from the plans listed in the stickys of this forum. I think i have the dimensions all nailed down. The ram will go to a local cnc shop tomorrow as i simply do not have enough time to do it myself. Thay is of course if they dont cost an arm, leg and first born. If it works ill post a drawing with all the dimensions for the ram to work

Kevin8888
04-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Not exactly a good business model... Richard won't sell to you because you didn't buy the press from him? Why should that matter? You'd think some of your money is better than none of your money... lol

Valornor
04-13-2017, 02:42 PM
My impression of Richard is that he's got more business then he can handle and he's trying to scale back, maybe thinking of retiring in the future. I doubt he'd would outright refuse business because of of a differences in presses. I've spoken to him a couple times about making custom draw dies and punches for the .408 cal jackets he used to make. I've got a Corbin Megamite press (made by his brother) and I find Dave Corbin's prices are a little on the high side for my blood.

JRLesan
04-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Actually, (for the labor involved) Richard's prices are a little on the low side...

Valornor
04-18-2017, 12:57 PM
I think Richard Corbin prices are a great deal for what you get.