PDA

View Full Version : 100 yr old S&W .22

Drm50
04-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Bought some guns last week and got this old 22/32 S&W. Looked it up and found it
is a 1917 production. Kinda spindly looking critter but is comfortable to hold. Dont
shoot to bad for a old gun. It ain't no cream puff, but it has class. It has been reblued
at one time. No matter also picked up a 5 screw K22 from 1952 that is 90% finish
and tight as a drum. Downer on it is a chip out of original Diamond Magnas. Got
carried away with it today and shot up a 100 rds plinking. I think it will go into keeper
pile.192836

johniv
04-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Good find sir. Ya gotta love them old S&W .22's.

Scharfschuetze
04-09-2017, 02:19 AM
Sweet. Made in 1917. The America Expeditionary Force was deploying to Europe under General Pershing and the great flu pandemic was just a year off. The Titanic had sunk just five years earlier, and millions of men had already died in France during the Great War; Buffalo Bill went to the Promised Land, The Russian Revolution began and John F. Kennedy was born.

Silver Jack Hammer
04-09-2017, 12:30 PM
My Father was born. We just celebrated his 100th birthday. He is great health and his mind is clear and sharp. He told of being held over on guard duty on December 7, 1941. And being taken off the rifle range the previous August because there wasn't enough ammo for the Army to practice.

jrmartin1964
04-09-2017, 04:21 PM
It appears your .22/.32 is sporting factory target sights and grips - very cool!:cool: Even though refinished, it might be worth having it lettered by Smith & Wesson. And the K22 rates high on the cool-o-meter, too!

9.3X62AL
04-09-2017, 04:33 PM
That 22/32 needs to be restricted to standard velocity ammunition only. They are little jewels, and I surely wouldn't want to strain one with over-pressure ammo. 22 LR HV came out c. 1929, and A LOT of arms made in 22 LR were not designed or built with HV ammo in mind. Now, that 1952 K-22 would be right in its element with HV ammo.

I have been very pleasantly surprised at the accuracy displayed by standard velocity 22 LR ammo. I have 5 different kinds laying around--a couple Eley flavors, some CCI, some W-W, and some Aguila Target. In a 22 LR Benchrest Frankenstein Rifle (my "BFR") I mess with, all of this ammo produces 50-yard bugholes and rosettes. It may not be the flattest-shooting rimfire ammo on earth, but it darn sure groups well in a good firearm.

Green Frog
04-09-2017, 06:14 PM
I have the same two guns, with my 22/32 being about 10 years newer and my K-22 a couple of years older. I love them both, but when I really want to shoot, it's the K-22 that comes to hand first. YMMV.

Froggie

Harry O
04-09-2017, 08:13 PM
That is the S&W 22/32 Heavy Target model, sometimes also called the Bekhart model. My wife has one built in the 1925+ 1 era. She loves it. Calls it "the Princess". Just as accurate as my K-22, but considerably lighter. It is built on the S&W "I" frame, which is a little bit smaller than even the "J" frame.

You will need special (very small) screwdrivers to adjust the sights. The same kind that are used with eyeglasses. A 1917 model would require standard velocity .22LR cartridges. They were changed sometime just before WWII to allow High Velocity .22LR, but I have not been able to find the exact date or serial number. Play it on the safe side and stick with Std Vel. On the plus side, it is even easier to find Std Vel around here right now than it is Hi Vel.

9.3X62AL
04-10-2017, 01:29 AM
Play it on the safe side and stick with Std Vel. On the plus side, it is even easier to find Std Vel around here right now than it is Hi Vel.

No kidding. Just this week I had delivered some CCI SGB 22 LR HV ammo. It has been over 8 years since I last saw any of this GREAT small critter ammo available for sale. Things have really been messed up for a very long time in this hobby field.

Low Budget Shooter
04-14-2017, 11:07 PM
The kids and I really enjoy our 5-screw K22 from my dad. Last time out, I planted my first shot on a very small target at 50 yards, and told the kids I could do that many times in a row, but I wanted to let them try it. :) If you hit the first shot, pass the gun to someone else!