PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 200 grain Silhouette-enough lube capacity?

rvpilot76
07-12-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm looking at running either this or the Lyman 311299 in my M1A. It just doesn't look like there is enough lube capacity. I know the Lyman mold does well in a number of rifles, and I'm just trying to get an idea which boolit I should run in that 22" barrel.

Kevin

Bass Ackward
07-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Assuming your bullet fits your throat and bore:

1. Lube quantity and quality run hand in hand for the pressure you want to run. The better lube you have, the less you need at any given pressure.

2. Then lube and hardness run hand in hand based upon the pressure you want to generate. The harder the bullet, the less lube you will need at a given pressure.

3. Then lube / hardness run hand in hand with temperature. You need less lube in cold weather or barrels. The hotter or faster you want to shoot, the better of 1 and 2 you will need.

4. All of this runs hand in hand with the quality and finish of the bore.

Translation: It works for many people, so if it doesn't for you, correct one of those variables.

rvpilot76
07-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks, Bass. I suppose I should have given specifics. Here goes:

The lube will be Lar's Carnuba Red.
The alloy will be water quenched WW.
The barrel will be a NM Springfield Armory M1A.

The RCBS only has that one lube groove, and it just doesn't look very substantial. Anyone have any experience with that RCBS mold?

Kevin

Steelshooter
07-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I use the rcbs mold in 3 different 30-06s and 1 308, cast out of straight linotype, lbt blue lube. Velocity from 1600 to 2300 with no leading. Bass has it right.
Good luck
Chuck

rvpilot76
07-13-2008, 12:34 AM
I use the rcbs mold in 3 different 30-06s and 1 308, cast out of straight linotype, lbt blue lube. Velocity from 1600 to 2300 with no leading. Bass has it right.
Good luck
Chuck

I guess my next question is, can I seat the RCBS in the 308 to a length that will function in my M1A?

Kevin

NuJudge
07-13-2008, 08:11 AM
You have two worries: Over-all Length being able to fit in the magazine, and whether the throat will let you seat the bullet at that length.

I would crimp a cast bullet being used in an auto loader. Someone here can provide you with the length of both bullets in front of the crimp groove, which when added to the case length will give you the over-all length.

I would ask around for several examples of each of these bullets, make up a dummy for both bullets, and see if they chamber freely. My experience with two M1a's is only with jacketed bullets, but they had a little freebore in the throats.

You'll be able to see if they feed also.

Steelshooter
07-13-2008, 08:41 AM
kevin
I could sent you some, pm me with your address. You should have no problem with seating of the bullets, the bullet is tapered enough that in my guns the bullet is barely seated in the case to touch the rifling. Click on the picture to enlarge.
Chuck

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/423/bullet1ty6.th.jpg (http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bullet1ty6.jpg)

rvpilot76
07-13-2008, 12:31 PM
NuJudge, I have a Lee Factory Crimp Die and planned on using it for taking out the bell I'll use for seating the rounds. Steelshooter, I appreciate the offer, and I gladly accept! I'll PM you with my address. I've noticed, after doing an extensive search, that not a lot has been done, or at least documented, with heavy boolits in the M!A. It'll be Fall before I can get the ball rolling (working fires with our aircraft here in Northern California), but I'm gonna have quite the write-up for all who are interested. I might just have to buy the 311299 just so I can do a comparison of the two heavies.

Kevin