PDA

View Full Version : 370 gr Maxi ball shows em up

randyrat
07-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Range day today with the Thompson BP rifle w/ 370 gr maxiball(pure lead)/90 grs of Pyrodex RS (FFG)/ lubed w/ beeswax and borebutter. Man did it shoot like a dream. 50 yrds very tight and coninued to shoot all the way to 100 yds. Next session 'll try 150. I'm still in the embryo stage with these front end loaders so this is an eye opener. I think i got lucky and found "THE LOAD" at least for my gun. I had no idea these could be that accurate. I was shooting 2-3" group at 100 yds/open sights. It helps my eyes were sharp today. My buddy was laughing at the dirt flying behind the target. Now I'm thinkin- is this still going to shoot when it's -10-20 degs or do i need to lighten up/change the lube in the extreme cold weather? BTW i deer hunt in the extreme cold, not by choice.

Meatco1
07-12-2008, 06:26 PM
RandyRat:

Is this a T/C Hawken, or of the same type rifle?

Richard

randyrat
07-12-2008, 11:16 PM
It's a Thompson in-line 50 cal "Thunder hawk shadow"

randyrat
07-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Sorry it's not a PURIST rifle, but i did cast my own bullets and make my own lube. LOL

MT Gianni
07-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I have gone to 100 gr with the hawken and that bullet and as low as 80 with good accuracy. My first lube was Crisco in 1979 and it shot well. Gianni

07-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Don't worry about being a "purest". Fun's fun, and meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer. Of the cast boolits for a muzzlerloader, those maxi-balls are a solid bet. I've had better luck with those than the maxi-hunter. Hard to beat pure lead and weight for terminal performance.

WickedGoodOutdoors
07-16-2008, 07:38 AM
370 grain! Wow. I dont think I have seen that in the Sporting goods store.

Where are you located. If I gave you some Lead would you make me some?

Capt Walt

randyrat
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
How many do you want. We can work out a deal. I love casting these. I don't want to go into business though. I get a kick out of how shinney they are when cast. Remember you only get about 18-19 ct per lb. You'll get a kick out of shooting these-literally.....LOL

WickedGoodOutdoors
07-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Randy.

where are you located?

I cant seem to get the privite message to wok on this website

just send me an E mail

Capt Walt

Newenglandcharters@maine.rr.com

randyrat
07-20-2008, 10:27 PM
I got your e-mail and i replied.

I Haines
07-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Sounds like you're dialed in. I couldn't get decent accuracy with those in my TC Hawken until I used wonder-wads over the powder. Can't say for certain but I don't think your lube will be a problem in cold weather. Hot temps usually cause me to look for a thicker lube. IH

cabezaverde
08-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Randyrat,

I'm with you, easy is great.

My son and I shoot that bullet with APP, tumble lubed with LLA. Doesn't get any easier than that for deer hunting. He shoots the same type of load in a .54 also.

Blammer
08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
as far as cold weather, use less beeswax and you'll be fine

I ran beeswax and crisco on mine in the summer I used just enough beeswax to keep the crisco on the bullet.

It was still quite, mallable in 90 degree heat but stayed put. I then hunted with that same combo in 32° weather and it worked just fine.

cabezaverde
08-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Capt Walt - sent you an email.

WickedGoodOutdoors
10-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Randy:

Your 370 gr Maxi ball is the best. I call it the Thumper.

Try loading 100 grains of FF with a small cotton ball soaked in crisco over the powder and under the Maxiball. Lube the Maxiball with Beeswax.

the cotten seals the gas and asorbs the shock for smooth acceleration!

Cant Wait to shoot some Deer with them.

the same cotten ball trick can be used with birdshot by adding another ball over the shot to hold it in the barrell.

Roll the birdshot in thin paper with the cotton on top and bottom and powder to make quick loading cartriges. Just rip the end and drop it in. Prime and Shoot.

Capt Walt