PDA

View Full Version : Pay Dirt, at the scrap yard !

nun2kute
04-07-2017, 11:32 PM
Opened up a can, thot I found someones stash of lead slugs. Turned out to be Pure Nichel pellets. Google says it melts at 2651F. It's so rare at the yard, they didn't even know what to charge for it yet. Got all excited over nothin.

On the bright side, I got my powder coating table all rigged up. It swivels so I don't have to walk around in circles and tie knots in cords and hoses.

Hardcast416taylor
04-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Sling shot ammo?Robert

mfraser264
04-09-2017, 10:34 AM
The Nichol pellets are great if you are in a Steel foundry and make up your own alloy, used to add to the heat of molten metal to make high strength steel. This is worth dollars per pound but at my scrap yard you show up with it you will be questioned. Also the base metal for high temperature blades and vanes in turbine engines.

A guy years ago was taking a piece of Nichol home each day and then when he went to the scrap yard with a coffee can to cash in they asked where he got it, not a common metal and he screwed up and left his work cloths on with name of the foundry on the shirt!!! Did not collect on the metal and lost his job from what I heard.

nun2kute
04-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Ya, they got camera's just for that purpose at our yard. And they require Picture ID for any thing not aluminum cans, plastic or cardboard. From what I understand, it came in with a bunch of Brass and copper from USU. And the Sheriff is there at least once a month asking about (usually) large amounts of copper wire and tubing.

merlin101
04-09-2017, 01:05 PM
My dad used to work at a chemical plant and they had a HUGE pile of drums that the employees were free to take, my dad and his brother spent a whole weekend going through that pile looking for nickel drums. They found several and cashed in, I don't remember how much but we had a nice vacation that year. So no it's not sling shot ammo!

fatelk
04-16-2017, 12:13 AM
We used pure nickel gaskets where I used to work long ago. They were used once and thrown away. Instead of throwing them in the garbage I would put them in a little can in my locker. Some of the other guys started collecting them for me as well. After a couple years I took them into the scrap yard and got over $12 per pound, for about 25 pounds!

It was stuff that was going in the garbage otherwise, and the boss didn't care, but I made the mistake of talking about it at work. A couple of other guys were weird about it, jealous I guess. I spent years collecting them, and many hours prying the little steel rings off each gasket before taking them in. Those were things that they would never have taken the time to do, but they were jealous of the couple hundred dollars that I got. In retrospect a few hours of OT was a lot easier way to make some extra money.

04-17-2017, 09:54 AM
No, where he screwed up was taking that first piece.

The Nichol pellets are great if you are in a Steel foundry and make up your own alloy, used to add to the heat of molten metal to make high strength steel. This is worth dollars per pound but at my scrap yard you show up with it you will be questioned. Also the base metal for high temperature blades and vanes in turbine engines.

A guy years ago was taking a piece of Nichol home each day and then when he went to the scrap yard with a coffee can to cash in they asked where he got it, not a common metal and he screwed up and left his work cloths on with name of the foundry on the shirt!!! Did not collect on the metal and lost his job from what I heard.

merlin101
04-17-2017, 10:06 AM
We used pure nickel gaskets where I used to work long ago. They were used once and thrown away. Instead of throwing them in the garbage I would put them in a little can in my locker. Some of the other guys started collecting them for me as well. After a couple years I took them into the scrap yard and got over $12 per pound, for about 25 pounds!

It was stuff that was going in the garbage otherwise, and the boss didn't care, but I made the mistake of talking about it at work. A couple of other guys were weird about it, jealous I guess. I spent years collecting them, and many hours prying the little steel rings off each gasket before taking them in. Those were things that they would never have taken the time to do, but they were jealous of the couple hundred dollars that I got. In retrospect a few hours of OT was a lot easier way to make some extra money.
HI JACK ALERT!
I worked in an auto body shop for years and and would save all the aluminum wheels and radiators. Nobody else wanted to bother with them until they found out I cashed them in, then they wanted "a piece" of it but still wouldn't bother doing any of the work. People????