PDA

View Full Version : Old S&W in 38S&w

pumpguy
07-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Just bought one of these little break open revolvers. I can't find a web site that has the manufacture date by serial number. The serial # is 4448xx. Any idea when this gun was made?

Harry O
07-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Just bought one of these little break open revolvers. I can't find a web site that has the manufacture date by serial number. The serial # is 4448xx. Any idea when this gun was made?

According to the Dixie catalog, that is a fourth model made between 1895 and 1909. I've got one of the second models made from 1880 to 1884. It is still tight and still shoots well.

oldguns
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Double action with a 1 screw side plate? If so it sounds like a .38 Double Action
4th Model. SN range 322701 through 539000 manufactured 1895-1909.

This is from the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. It's a good book, birthday gift from my wife last month.

pumpguy
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks Harry. I am in Omaha visiting my folks. Where is a good place to shoot? Do you ever shoot at the Bullet Hole?

pumpguy
07-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Double action with a 1 screw side plate? If so it sounds like a .38 Double Action
4th Model. SN range 322701 through 539000 manufactured 1895-1909.

This is from the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. It's a good book, birthday gift from my wife last month.

This is a single screw side plate. It is fairly tight. It's missing most of the bluing, but, the grips are great. The barrel has a little pitting, but, it seems to shoot OK. Just bought it for fun and the guy selling it needed the money.

Buckshot
07-14-2008, 02:06 AM
................They're kinda fun little pistols.

http://www.fototime.com/8DAF2A1F0B9E0C6/standard.jpg

This is a Iver Johnson and my other 2 are V Model Smiths. This little pistol is in quite good shape, excellently made and not too bad a shooter at 25 yards. This is really long range for the pistol and it's sights!

..................Buckshot

pumpguy
07-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Took the little gun to the range this afternoon. I have to say I was amazed! It shot five shot groups into one elongated ragged hole at 25' with some old unsorted ammo. I have to admit I was a little shocked. It shoots just a little high. What a fun little gun!:shock:

Harry O
07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks Harry. I am in Omaha visiting my folks. Where is a good place to shoot? Do you ever shoot at the Bullet Hole?

I am a member. I will be taking my Concealed Carry class there in about three weeks. We just got allowed concealed carry in this state about a year ago. Originally, there were no approved courses or instructors, then a few that charged an arm and a leg, and now there are enough approved so the cost is reasonable. If you want to get together down there, you can call me evenings at 895-4893.

Swagerman
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Buckshot, I've got an old Ivy Hammerless .32 s&w short. It would be a shooter if I could find someone that knows how to make those dad nab it hammer V-springs, as well as a new flat trigger spring.

Tried ordering some replacement parts from Numbrich back East, they must hire Pakistainknees, as they don't seem to understand the Kings English when you explain what you want from their catalog.

So I gave up ever trying to get the little Ivy to shoot again. It would probably be a poor shooter anyway. More than likely self destruct on the first shot.

Jim

KCSO
07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Swagerman

The problem with most of the replacemnt springs is that they are mass produced sort of replicas. They are not properly tapered and if you put them in as is the trigger pull goes to 20 pounds. I once bought a pound of v springs just to get 3 old revolvers back in action. Brownell's makes the flat stock but forging filing and tempering a spring for a break top revolver is like filing out a new engine block for an Edsel. It's still an Edsel when you are done. It's usually cheaper to pick up another broken revolver for parts than to try making these springs.

Swagerman
07-15-2008, 03:30 PM
The Ivy is eljunkay...not repairable. :confused:

Jim