PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Mak Brass from 9mm Luger

Jeffjmr
04-07-2017, 12:24 AM
First, I am neither encouraging nor discouraging the use of trimmed 9mm Luger brass for use as 9mm Makarov.

But I have a bunch that I got from the estate of a very experienced and respected reloader who recently passed. Most are new that he had trimmed and some he had already belled the mouth for the slightly larger bullet.

I desire only to gauge interest. If there is any, I will list for sale or trade in the appropriate swap section, otherwise it goes to the metal recycler (cuz I don't have a Mak but would surely like one).

Comments welcome.

Jeff

Yodogsandman
04-07-2017, 12:43 AM
Some day, you will have a Makarov.

leadhead
04-07-2017, 09:10 AM
I use 9mm brass to make Mak brass..... How much you got?
I could be interested.
Denny

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Is it OK to talk trades/sales outside the S&S forum?

Jeff
NO, it is not OK.

9.3X62AL
04-07-2017, 03:24 PM
If you have 9mm Makarov die set and a case trimmer or file trim die--you have a 9mm Mak case-making kit. Most of my Mak ammo is put up in modded 9mm Luger brass. My Makarov got taken offline for CCW from 2011 to 2016, but since that bit of admin neurosis expired last August I have worked the Mak back into felon repellent status, so it gets run about once a month. They great little pistols, and my East German variant has been with me for 25 years. A DEFINITE keeper. I would encourage anyone to acquire an example.

Wayne Smith
04-07-2017, 03:57 PM
I have a MAK and a CZ, and prefer the CZ. Also cut down 9mm brass. Randy and I have slightly different methods using the Lee cutters.

TCLouis
04-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Don't waste money sending it to recycle, post if 4 sale and I am betting it will all go.

Run 9X19 brass through 9X18 reload dies to expand it.
Lee Trim die (someone I know made a proper sized wood handle to old the cutter)
I hear he made 300 pieces, but his CZ slung brass great distances in every direction so he has saved his hard earned brass . . .

And shot steel cased Brown Bear.

Jeffjmr
04-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Thanks all, and sorry for talking business. I see that this is a commonly accepted practice and therefore the brass will not see the scrap heap!

9.3X62AL
04-08-2017, 12:18 AM
Most assuredly, sir. The first several years of shooting my Mak, factory ammo or reloading components were darn scarce. RCBS had a limited production 9mm Mak mould and H&I sizer die (.365"), and those kept the pistol running initially and continue to do so. My pistol does broadcast the brass some distance, so having readily-available precursor hulls all over range sites and plinker canyons comes in handy. With the top end loads (90-100 grainers at 1075-1125 FPS) the brass REALLY gets flung. Not quite H&K-91-in-308-level distances, but still with vigor. No one shooting a Mak EVER doesn't need more brass.

One nice quirk the pistol has......dial things down to 380 ACP level, and recoil diminishes (it is a bit of a handful with full-bore loads)--ejection stays in the same ZIP Code--and small critters still get thumped right proper. That recoil spring is still Un vale madre, though. Walther PP on steroids is RIGHT.

W.R.Buchanan
04-08-2017, 05:10 PM
I do this too and I have a Mak that I've had for 25 years and 2 more Recent CZ82's.

I use the Lee Three Jaw Chuck in a cordless drill and the wooden ball handle. I turned the OD of the Lee Pilot down to where it would fit into the 9MM case so I didn't have to do the step of pre-expanding the brass. So I knock out the primers, trim, tumble, then Load as normal. It goes pretty fast that way.

So any way don't scrap that brass, somebody will buy it.

Randy

Grapeshot
04-12-2017, 11:33 PM
I've had two Maks. One NORINCO and the newest is Bulgarian. When I got the first MAK the ammo was non existent in my area. So I got a Lee Trimmer and I trimmed back a LOT of 9mmP to 9x18 MAK Specs. I liked to shoot my guns a lot, and realized that I lost a lot of brass. So I spent five hours in my shed with a drill and the Lee trimmer and produced several hundred 9x18 cases from 9mmP. I now have more than I really need, but I hoard brass. The gun is accurate and I got a nose shaping die from BT Sniper to turn .380 bullets into 9x18 bullets.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m53/Grapeshot_2006/Bullet%20Swaging/9mm%20Mak%20Bullets.jpg (http://s101.photobucket.com/user/Grapeshot_2006/media/Bullet%20Swaging/9mm%20Mak%20Bullets.jpg.html)