PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a .22WMR auto?

JSnover
04-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Found some empty space in my safe and I'm thinking of filling it with a semi-auto .22 magnum rifle. This would be for casual shooting, not a "tactical entry weapon" or a "long-range precision rifle." Just something fun to shoot.
Who owns one and do you love it or hate it?

Jack Stanley
04-06-2017, 10:02 PM
I had a Remington 597 in 22 magnum and it accuracy was very good and it never missed a beat . Down side was it had a heavier than needed trigger pull .

Jack

pietro
04-06-2017, 10:34 PM

I've owned/shot/hunted with every .22WMR autoloading rifle & handgun ever commercially produced, except for a Grendel P-30, and IME the best I had was a CZ/BRNO 611/611A.

It was reliable, accurate, and handy - and IMHO looked pretty good, too. :D

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/6160/974494928/wm_5163094.jpg

M-Tecs
04-06-2017, 10:47 PM
A semi-auto .22 magnum rifle is nice but I like the Savage A17 17HMR better. I haven't checked recently by I had a very hard time find 22 Mag ammo a couple of years ago.

JSnover
04-07-2017, 08:50 PM
The ammo has been hit-or-miss here but not impossible to find.
I like the CZ 611 and 512 but the Remmy 597 can be had for a bit less.
Thanks!

Jack Stanley
04-07-2017, 09:06 PM
I look at the 22 WMR as being out of the plinking rifle category . At the show last Saturday I did see ammo and the cheaper of it wasn't all the bad . The stuff used for woodchuck demolition was a bit more depending on the bullet it seemed .

Jack

JSnover
04-07-2017, 09:28 PM
I look at the 22 WMR as being out of the plinking rifle category
Jack
Agreed. I have four .22lr rifles and they're fine but I got the itch for a little more downrange energy.

cainttype
04-07-2017, 09:49 PM
The HK 300 is a top-notch 22WMR auto. Although neither it or the original scope mounts are inexpensive, they do offer a serious fix for the nagging itch.

Texas by God
04-07-2017, 10:17 PM
The HK 300 is a top-notch 22WMR auto. Although neither it or the original scope mounts are inexpensive, they do offer a serious fix for the nagging itch.
I once fired an H&R which is a HK300 and it was horribly inaccurate. I didn't have enough ammo to figure it out. My buddy that owned it said it shot fine for him- but didn't demonstrate lol.

cainttype
04-07-2017, 10:40 PM
I've seen several HK 300s reliably shoot sub-MOA at 100 yds. One resides in the rear of a safe here, although I rarely shoot it anymore.
The sporter-weight 22 WMR semi-auto than can out-shoot it hasn't crossed my path yet... but it would definitly be impressive.

Rick Hodges
04-08-2017, 08:44 AM
My only 22 magnum is a 9422 Winchester lever action. It was uncannily accurate with the 34gr. Winchester Supreme ammo...(I think that ammo has been discontinued). I have always thought the 22 mag was way too expensive to plink with.

04-08-2017, 09:27 AM
AMT made a dandy, but ammo sensitive, semi-auto pistol. I used to have one and enjoyed it. My Marlin lever action was a gift from Dad when serious woodchucking became an addiction. The most accurate .22 WMR was / is my Marlin bolt action. It's down-right accurate.

That CZ/BRUNO above looks outstanding. Would love to run a few through it. A bit above my plinking budget! Most of this comes down to want, not need. If you want it, that's more than enough justification to get one. Hope you are successful.

JSnover
04-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Well, I made the list and hit four gun shops today and got pretty much the same answer; "Aint seen'em, cant git'em." The last place offered to order a CZ 512 (and they had a couple of bricks on the shelf!) so I'm in!

Treeman
04-08-2017, 04:40 PM
My opinion.....FUN!

NSB
04-08-2017, 05:10 PM
I once fired an H&R which is a HK300 and it was horribly inaccurate. I didn't have enough ammo to figure it out. My buddy that owned it said it shot fine for him- but didn't demonstrate lol.
I once had the pleasure of watching Tom Knapp put on a shooting exhibition and one of the guns he used was an HR 22wmr semi. I'd say his was pretty accurate.

NSB
04-08-2017, 05:14 PM
AMT made a dandy, but ammo sensitive, semi-auto pistol. I used to have one and enjoyed it. My Marlin lever action was a gift from Dad when serious woodchucking became an addiction. The most accurate .22 WMR was / is my Marlin bolt action. It's down-right accurate.

That CZ/BRUNO above looks outstanding. Would love to run a few through it. A bit above my plinking budget! Most of this comes down to want, not need. If you want it, that's more than enough justification to get one. Hope you are successful.
Back when I was at the top of my shooting game, and the .22mag was my favorite calibers, I got on a waiting list for the AMT .22mag handgun. After several months of waiting it arrived. I kept it about two weeks. Twelve pound trigger and the best groups it would fire were six inches at 25yards off the bench. Back then I could really shoot and I could recognize a "pig in a poke" when I saw one. Too bad, my AMT 22lr handgun was exceptional the other way. Shot Master Class with it in two classes and won the state and regional shoot with it in both classes. You never know.....

Jack Stanley
04-08-2017, 09:14 PM
It's hard to go wrong buying a CZ . If they would have had a left handed 452 in 22 WMR when I was looking , I wouldn't have had to buy this Browning T-bolt .

When ya got the itch .........................;-)

Jack

Texas by God
04-08-2017, 10:35 PM
I didn't mean to deride all HK/H&R .22 mag autos- just the one I fired one day. It had no obvious problems that I could see.

Hogtamer
04-09-2017, 06:07 AM
You might find this thread helpful.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?309584-Bought-a-savage-a22-today

JSnover
04-09-2017, 07:32 AM
You might find this thread helpful.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?309584-Bought-a-savage-a22-today
That's what I hope to avoid, glad it worked out for you.

54bore
04-09-2017, 07:40 AM
My only 22 magnum is a 9422 Winchester lever action. It was uncannily accurate with the 34gr. Winchester Supreme ammo...(I think that ammo has been discontinued). I have always thought the 22 mag was way too expensive to plink with.

This exactly the rifle my dad used solely for butchering Beef and Hogs, Years worth of Bobcat, cougar, etc. many years ago when he hunted with hounds. Rugged, Reliable little rifles!
If i were looking for a .22 Magnum, i would look for one of these. I have seen a few, They are quite spendy these days!
I don't know what is even available in Semi auto for the .22 Mag? I remember back when Ruger had their 10/22 in Magnum, I remember reading about them having problems, but I can't remember now what it was?

JSnover
04-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Apparently the 22 magnum market is pretty slow. I located a few online but I wanted to buy local and did not see even one of any type on the racks.

smkummer
04-09-2017, 11:14 AM
22 mag. ammo has always expensive compared to 22 LR. And even so today. I does have a valid purpose, but it appears the market is served by SS, bolt and lever guns. I sure liked the way the H&R looked and I believe it still carried over some Reising lineage as well. Also I believe it was Kodiac that made a 22 magnum version of a Colt Colteer.

Cap'n Morgan
04-10-2017, 03:27 AM
I had a H&K 300 with polygon rifling and it was very accurate with the right ammo. I also owned it's little brother, H&K 270 in 22LR with a suppressor and a twenty round mag. Had to practically give both guns away as a new law banned semiautomatic rimfire rifles.

Multigunner
04-14-2017, 03:40 AM
Did someone, perhaps Erma, once manufacture a .22 Magnum gas operated replica of the M1 Carbine?
I've seen the .22 LR blowback version but seem to remember a .22 Magnum version that used some form of locked breech or hesitation blowback system.

JSnover
04-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Did someone, perhaps Erma, once manufacture a .22 Magnum gas operated replica of the M1 Carbine?
I've seen the .22 LR blowback version but seem to remember a .22 Magnum version that used some form of locked breech or hesitation blowback system.
Sounds familiar.
I did see a non-firing 2/3 scale Springfield at a gun show years ago and have been wishing for an operational version in 22WRM ever since.

Anyway… I picked up the CZ and found out I had an extra scope that didn't have a rifle under it, so I solved two problems. Winchester grouped about an inch @ 25. Aguila was a little better but too many failures to feed. It's a good little rifle with decent wood. The trigger is a little heavy but crisp.
Maybe next weekend will be dry enough to break it in outdoors.