PDA

View Full Version : SOCIAL SECRRITY ! (Rant !)

Boaz
04-06-2017, 05:52 PM
LOL , a rant !@!@! I went on SS as of the first of this month . Go my first 'billing) , It's insane !

Dialed the -help- number , got the phone on my ear right now. The 'recording' said .....WAIT TIME IS ONE HOUR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hacked off ! Would not do this to my worst enemy ! Talking to machines is stupid ...waiting to talk to a machine is ...beyond description .

This will come to no good end ...for me anyway .

Thank you for helping me kill some time .

TexasGrunt
04-06-2017, 06:01 PM
What 'billing are you talking about?

If you signed up for SS the first of April your first check will be a Wednesday in May.

Boaz
04-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Part B .

swheeler
04-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Medicare part B to be taken out of your SS retirement, yep they are funny, can't ya tell I'm laughing!

472x1B/A
04-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Hi, we are from the government, we are here to help.;):roll:

Boaz
04-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Time for thinkin . Need to start pickin up road kill goin into and from town . .

Hogtamer
04-06-2017, 06:56 PM
I still work part time and have made over the pitiful small limit ($15 K and change) our govy allows us to make without reducing SS "benefits" as our govy calls our money taken involuntarily from our pay for 45 years, plus an equal amount extracted from our employers. So my montly check was reduced, the "benefit" is taxable income and SS is still withheld from my current wages. This is one of the things I have trouble staying civil about. What an incentive to be productive!

Boaz
04-06-2017, 08:00 PM
No relief , said they would call me back . ..................Yea . LOL

runfiverun
04-06-2017, 08:03 PM
If you owe them money they will call you right back.

rca
04-06-2017, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=Hogtamer;4010704]I still work part time and have made over the pitiful small limit ($15 K and change) our govy allows us to make without reducing SS "benefits" as our govy calls our money taken involuntarily from our pay for 45 years, plus an equal amount extracted from our employers. So my montly check was reduced, the "benefit" is taxable income and SS is still withheld from my current wages. This is one of the things I have trouble staying civil about. What an incentive to be productive![/QUOTE

Did you take early retirement?
I waited till full retiremen age and still work No reduction in benefits ,I have had 2 (two) increases in my monthly payment

10-x
04-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Boaz, try calling any big service business these days, endless bs recordings telling one every dam thing but what one is calling for! Talking about POed KING SIZE, I absolute Hate comcast xfinity! Not calling the Fools any more, going to local office and talk to the lady there, she is A. Ok. Sick and tired of trying to understand someone from india, yea, they are either " push starts"( red dot on forhead) or " pull starts"( turban) and have yet to find one I can hear and understand. 4.2 mortar in RVN ruined my hearing...
As for dealing with SSI, try doing it for your Mother who has alzhiemers and can not say anything, did it for almost 15 years! A bunch of pin heads.......

GhostHawk
04-06-2017, 09:34 PM
I turn 65 in Oct. Been getting small SS check for 3 years now. I was unable to work, why not?

My wife and I will have some hard choices to make when I sign up.

Myself I think I will do without as many "parts" as possible.

There is no easy solution. Medical is a shell game that is rigged by the insurance company's.
And you are dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't. So pick your poison.

They are dang good salesmen, and they know how to push the product and scare people.

Dollar is worth less every day and the inflation on medical costs has been skyrocketing for 15 years. Leaves most of us up the smelly creek without a paddle.

FISH4BUGS
04-07-2017, 08:23 AM
I am 68 and still work full time (and then some). I am self-employed and have been for 35 years. I am collecting on my ex-wife's SS who is also self-employed. (Boy does that frost her butt to know I am collecting on her SS)
She made a boatload more money than I did, so I really have no complaints about SS.
Someone complained about the money paid in and the employer's contribution also. Try paying the whole thing yourself for 35 years.

farmerjim
04-07-2017, 09:58 AM
" plus an equal amount extracted from our employers"
"Try paying the whole thing yourself for 35 years."
You do pay the entire amount. Your employer has to consider all costs when they hire you. If they didn't have to pay your SS, they would pay you more salary. Ask anyone who runs a business and hires people.

Virginia John
04-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Our SS was increased by 0.3% this year and MEDICARE increased 0.3%. This is a no win situation.

BrassMagnet
04-07-2017, 10:58 AM
" plus an equal amount extracted from our employers"
"Try paying the whole thing yourself for 35 years."
You do pay the entire amount. Your employer has to consider all costs when they hire you. If they didn't have to pay your SS, they would pay you more salary. Ask anyone who runs a business and hires people.

Well said!

Geezer in NH
04-07-2017, 11:11 AM
If the bill is for medicare it is for 3 months not like it read to me either. I do not qualify for SS but due for medicare and their is no choice get it or none other available

Preacher Jim
04-07-2017, 11:58 AM
welcome to social insecurity and we got you and you can not do anything about it

reddog81
04-07-2017, 05:23 PM
With the wait time of an hour a speaker phone works wonders. Turn the speaker phone on, turn the volume all the way up and just make sure you stay within ear shot of the phone and you'll be fine.

Nueces
04-07-2017, 05:36 PM
A speaker phone works well, unless the hold message is a series of loud, chatty blather in different voices, that make you think a drone person has picked up...

shooterg
04-07-2017, 09:45 PM
I didn't realize how smart I was to pick a bride 12 years younger over 30 years ago..I'm still covered on her insurance and she'll be working another 12 years ! I hope not to have to deal with it until then if I last that long . Meanwhile I invest the savings in firearms/powder/etc.

MaryB
04-07-2017, 10:56 PM
I have an advantage plan, my check went up $4, my advantage plan went up $6 so I went backwards!

Our SS was increased by 0.3% this year and MEDICARE increased 0.3%. This is a no win situation.

TexasGrunt
04-08-2017, 08:44 AM
I turn 65 in Oct. Been getting small SS check for 3 years now. I was unable to work, why not?

My wife and I will have some hard choices to make when I sign up.

Myself I think I will do without as many "parts" as possible.

There is no easy solution. Medical is a shell game that is rigged by the insurance company's.
And you are dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't. So pick your poison.

They are dang good salesmen, and they know how to push the product and scare people.

Dollar is worth less every day and the inflation on medical costs has been skyrocketing for 15 years. Leaves most of us up the smelly creek without a paddle.

Did you take SSDI? If so you don't need to sign up.

GhostHawk
04-08-2017, 09:49 AM
No, I wanted SSDI but was denied. Gave up when the appeal fell through.

It was until after it was all over and we got all the files that I saw that the doctor I went to try and get SSDI stabbed me in the back. That man is lucky to be breathing.

So essentially for 15 years I had zero income and was unable to work. Life sucks, in reality life is what you make of it. If it sucks you are not doing it right.

Because of that 15 years with no work I am at minimum. In fact I was lucky to qualify for that. Counting my blessings.
That 670$ a month is not a lot, but it lets me do a lot with it as long as I am a bit patient.

mold maker
04-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Put some aside for when years later, they find a miscalculation and want the difference back right now.

Boaz
04-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Explain ?

country gent
04-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Boaz, when my disability finally went thru ( took 5 years) I got a lump sum payment from SSDI for the amount. Since my work insurance covered me that time What they paid me had to be paid back out of the SSDI check first. I occasionally get medicare letters stating that I'm over or under paid on deductables and treatments but not to pay anything yet. It can be a nightmare dealing with the beurocrats at times.

TexasGrunt
04-08-2017, 06:22 PM
No, I wanted SSDI but was denied. Gave up when the appeal fell through.

It was until after it was all over and we got all the files that I saw that the doctor I went to try and get SSDI stabbed me in the back. That man is lucky to be breathing.

So essentially for 15 years I had zero income and was unable to work. Life sucks, in reality life is what you make of it. If it sucks you are not doing it right.

Because of that 15 years with no work I am at minimum. In fact I was lucky to qualify for that. Counting my blessings.
That 670$ a month is not a lot, but it lets me do a lot with it as long as I am a bit patient.

Did you appeal?

shooter2
04-08-2017, 06:23 PM
What your government did was take your money and give part of it to someone else and used the rest for other ****. Had you been able to keep it and invest it at a nominal rate you would be wealthy by the time you reached 65. One of the biggest scams in history.

William Yanda
04-08-2017, 06:37 PM
"Your call is important to us. Please stay on the line and the next available representative will be right with you." Meanwhile, back to elevator music. I think they have technology that selects whichever type of music you detest most. Three minutes later, repeat. Even evilbay has a system that will estimate the wait, and allow you to request a return call.

10-x
04-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Guys, from experience in a law firm,( please dont hold that against me) hire a lawyer right up front when you file for SSI disability. Will save you lots of headaches, heart burn, frustration and the urge to... well you know. By law the " barrester" only gets a %age.

country gent
04-08-2017, 08:55 PM
I did use a attorney from the plant. Took 5 years+ a little. Denied several times, examined by Their "doctor", ( I have MS he never requested my MRIs, or any of the test done, ) diagnosed me thru a 40 min physical as fit enough to work.In the hearing they had 2 experts there that claimed I could do inspection gaging and other work all positions that required 25-30 years senority to get when they opened up. Its a joke dealing with them

AK Caster
04-08-2017, 09:16 PM
I didn't realize how smart I was to pick a bride 12 years younger over 30 years ago..I'm still covered on her insurance and she'll be working another 12 years ! I hope not to have to deal with it until then if I last that long . Meanwhile I invest the savings in firearms/powder/etc.

You will still be required to pay for part B when you reach 65.

GhostHawk
04-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Yes, and with a good disability lawyer, and lost.

Worst 2 years of my life hands down. Totally wasted effort and it sent me into a depression that took years and lots of work to crawl out of.

I was not missing any limbs, and no one could prove that I was unable to work. Perhaps just unwilling. Hard to prove a negative. I understand that they see a lot of people looking for an easy check. All I can say it was the hardest work I ever did and I never saw a dime. Took a real toll emotionally.

Did you appeal?

MaryB
04-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Took me 3 years to get SSDI, when we finally got a hearing in front of the administrative law judge he asked me questions for 15 minutes, asked for my medical record. Red it. Then he asked me to please sit while he took care of something. He proceeded to rip the SSA agent a new one for 45 minutes for denying my case from the start. And my case was one of the ones that forced a change in how they process disability now. I won easily and worked with the judge to document everything SSA did when denying me. Lost evidence, denied ever receiving it when my lawyer had a signed receipt after hand delivering it, the joke of a medical "exam" they claimed I had when I never saw their doctor or talked to him on the phone... SSA got in a lot of trouble back around 2008 over it. In 10 years they have never had me see their doctors and now I am old enough that they won't bother because anyone over 55 who is disabled is considered un hire able. I won 3 years back pay at the time.

Huskerguy
04-09-2017, 10:05 PM
Disability greatly increased under this past administration. It was a good way to get millions out of the workforce and on government assistance. Not saying it was right or wrong, but it was happening. I just turned 63 and retired a few weeks ago. About 2 1/2 years ago I contracted a rare lung disease. I get really tired, susceptible to major colds, bronchitis, infections, etc and just do not have the stamina I once did (who does though right). I went 15 years without missing any time at work and the last few since the disease I have missed probably around 7-10 days a year. My wife doesn't want me to work, she sees how it drains me. I want to work but she is right, it does suck the life out of me and I am pretty worthless around the house when I was working. BTW, I am a school administrator and work in non-profits as well. I thought about filing for disability but know it would take about as long as it will be when I can get full SS so why bother and put myself through the humiliation.

We have a local SS office and we went there last June to get an idea of what each of us could get and learn a few more things. I read all I can and this has been an interest of my mine for several years. We have a note hand written by the person who helped us with information about filing for me and filing and refiling for my wife - turns out it can't be done so the person told us wrong. Wasn't a great deal of money but it was the point that somewhere along the way you really want to trust these people.

I think few people realize the supplemental insurance policies must all be the same coverage by law. The only difference is in what they charge. So it pays to shop around and I was told that they can take things into consideration (high drug costs, etc) that they can't do when you are younger. The insurance companies are not the ones to blame as they are playing by house rules.

So lets say you get $2,000 a month at age 65 for your SS. I believe they take medicare out at the rate of $135 a month AND you pay taxes on 85% of your SS. There are a few states that do not tax SS. I don't happen to live in one of those.

Many on here know way more than I do but I can tell one thing - the cards are stacked against you as you get older. The tax man is just waiting to get his share now that everything is paid off and you have no deductions.

Someone has got to figure this thing out one of these days as so many boomers are going through the system. But maybe not. Please tell me where I am incorrect.

frkelly74
04-09-2017, 10:16 PM
you might be able to claim the Earned Income Credit to off set some of the penalties that they take for making too much money. Turbo Tax will figure it automatically for you. We always go in to the office to talk to an actual person when we have a question. Take a number, sit and wait, read a book. Mid month is best , beginning of month is the worst time to go because everyone else goes then. Do not let them convince you that they are giving you anything, It is money that they took under threat and you deserve it back because you earned it and you couldn't use it or invest it for yourself.

badbob454
04-10-2017, 01:11 AM
My rant is when social security started they took my money , and gave it to retired people who never paid in a dime ...., now when i may need it it may not be there ... i started work in 1968 and am still working ,,,,

bedbugbilly
04-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Social Security is only a "benefit" to those who receive it but never EVER paid in to it! :-(

The guvment really views it as an "entitlement" program . . . you might disagree but basically, that is how the "left" views it. Perhaps all of us who are now on SS and who paid in to it should be applying for all the "entitlement" programs - and trust me, I have no problems for those who really NEED the help, but look at how many of us who worked hard and paid in to the system are paying for others on SS who never did. Maybe we should have applied for the Obama phones, free college and food stamps and then sell them on the black market as many do in order to supplement our SS?

I had to contact SS by phone a couple of years ago - called in AZ and got the office in Tucson - the woman I talked to couldn't even begin to answer my questions. I decided to wait until I got back to Michigan. Called and got a completely different answer than from the one I take to in AZ. Decided to go in to the office in nearby city - waited two hours in order to talk with somebody and there was just one other couple our age who were there to file for their bendefits. The rest? All young people looking for their "entitlements" through SS - most talking and texting on smart phones that I or my wife don't have as we consider they a "luxury" . . not a "necessity".

O.K. I'm done ranting as well . . . Boaz . . . I hope you get it all ironed out and good luck to you!

w5pv
04-10-2017, 08:58 AM
The judge that I had wanted the SS lawyer to explain why I wasn't on disability when their own lawyer said I was disabled.The judge was pretty irate that they even had hearing after their lawyer said I was disabled

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2017, 10:13 AM
I was lucky. I applied and got it in 3 months without a lawyer. But then I had 5 back operations in the previous 2 years so it was probably pretty cut and dried

Blackwater
04-10-2017, 03:39 PM
I've been on SS for a few years now, and yeah, it's OK until you have a question or problem. Then, it's like pulling teeth! I guess they figure we've got plenty of time on our hands since we're not working any more, at least officially and for wages? I also think they'd have a LOT better response times if they thought there were enough of us to form a "voting block," too?!???

Yep. It really IS true: "If someone ever says, 'Hi, I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help you,' run for your life!!!!" And as Sonny and Cher sang so long ago now, "The Beat Goes On."

shoot-n-lead
04-10-2017, 03:45 PM
I've been on SS for a few years now, and yeah, it's OK until you have a question or problem. Then, it's like pulling teeth! I guess they figure we've got plenty of time on our hands since we're not working any more, at least officially and for wages? I also think they'd have a LOT better response times if they thought there were enough of us to form a "voting block," too?!???

Yep. It really IS true: "If someone ever says, 'Hi, I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help you,' run for your life!!!!" And as Sonny and Cher sang so long ago now, "The Beat Goes On."

There has been a large voting block of SS recipients, for years...democrats have used them against Republican's forever...i.e. "They're gonna cut your SS."

reddog81
04-10-2017, 04:02 PM
SS is a giant ponzi scheme. It works out great while the people paying into the system can support the recipients. Once the money going out exceeds the amount coming in the pyramid scheme will come crashing down. The SS trust fund is nothing more than IOU's from the Dept. of Defense, Dept of Education, Etc. How is the government going to raise money to pay back these IOU's? The only way is to raise taxes...

Sur-shot
04-10-2017, 04:28 PM
You guys are not up to the best part yet...... Your monthly payments increase every year, as you pay more into your SS account, when you are making money by still working, that is fair right, that is until you reach 70 1/2 then you get that monthly payment amount forever and no increase. But guess what.....you still have to pay SS taxes, without any additional benefit to you, because you continue to pay social security taxes on your working income. Is this a wonderful country, run by a bunch of ash bags or what...... I own the company, so I pay both sides of SS plus my own retirement, which I now have to start taking....... and paying taxes on, including you know what.... So how many ways can you be screwed, let me count the ways.
Ed

Lloyd Smale
04-12-2017, 04:31 AM
my work retirement is locked at the same level for life but ive gotten raises in my ss. Granted probably not enough to cover cost of living increases but it isn't locked at a set level for life.

Tom W.
04-13-2017, 11:02 PM
I started my S.S. the last of December. I can't work because of various conditions, and I'm not old enough yet for Medicare. It didn't take any time to get my benefits started because I was getting partial benefits from my late wife's S.S..
However​, I am applying for disability. That process seemingly is taking forty forevers. With stage 3 cancer, afib, epilepsy and a few other inconvenient problems one would think there wouldn't be a problem. But it IS a government agency.......

fiberoptik
04-26-2017, 03:54 PM
My SSDI was backdated 3 years, during which I made $ with Excel Telecommunications. In '15 they came after me for "working " in 1996! They threw away all my paperwork, shuffled my case, lied about me, and applied rotational torque to my southern region. They took 6 months income cold turkey [emoji884] !!! This same outfit argued with me for 10 minutes that I was wrong about my daughters birthday and they needed to continue paying her for 4 more years! I was such a rotten thief that I wanted them to stop paying her check!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk