PDA

View Full Version : Visit to the local gun shop

Leadmelter
04-05-2017, 08:42 PM
I visited my local gunshop I have been going to since it opened in 1979. There were more pistols and rifles there I could ever remember. The shop was always a buzz with buying, selling trading. Guys around the coffee pot talking about reloading, guns, etc. I was the only one in there.
Times are changing.
Leadmelter
MI

Beagle333
04-05-2017, 08:50 PM
I only know of one other person locally who casts and/or reloads. There must be more, but I apparently never run into them. Somebody buys the powder from the gun store, but I never see anybody looking at it. I think there just aren't many of us. I have certainly never seen any ads locally from any estate sale or in the classifieds for reloading or casting equipment.

DonMountain
04-05-2017, 08:56 PM
When the gun shops are fully stocked with reloading powders, primers, bullets, rifles, handguns and associated stuff like they are now, that means that everyone has already bought all they need and are now out shooting. We don't have to go back anymore with hopes of finding some powder we couldn't get for years, or primers to reload. There is plenty sitting in all the dealers. And we are all stocked up. We used to go talk to all the other guys what they are using for various long-lost powders they can't get anymore. But now we can get Red Dot and IMR-Red, and various makes of IMR-4895 and etc.

michael.birdsley
04-05-2017, 08:57 PM
I only know of one other person locally who casts and/or reloads. There must be more, but I apparently never run into them. Somebody buys the powder from the gun store, but I never see anybody looking at it. I think there just aren't many of us. I have certainly never seen any ads locally from any estate sale or in the classifieds for reloading or casting equipment.

This is how I feel. The LGS in st. Charles mi I frequent has powder,primers,boolits, and some equipment. But, I never see anybody in their buying reloading stuff when I am there. I am the only person I know around here who reloads. All the gun stores have reloading stuff though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael.birdsley
04-05-2017, 08:59 PM
I visited my local gunshop I have been going to since it opened in 1979. There were more pistols and rifles there I could ever remember. The shop was always a buzz with buying, selling trading. Guys around the coffee pot talking about reloading, guns, etc. I was the only one in there.
Times are changing.
Leadmelter
MI

Are there any stores down that way that has a lee four hole classic turret in stock. Or stores worth driving to down there. My LGS can order whatever I want but, sometimes I get a big that needs to be itched right away.

GhostHawk
04-05-2017, 09:11 PM
I buy my powder, even online with hazmat and shipping I can get all the Red Dot I want at 22:50 at my door.

Wandered into our local Scheels sporting goods store 3 years ago when the powder crunch was in full force. Prices were over 30$ a pound and they had nothing, and no primers.

So long story short I have learned how to live without them. The question is can they do it without me and all those others like me????

As for buying guns, pretty much same holds true. I have 3 irons in the fire right now.

In May Henry will start delivering the new single shot rifles. I think I will wait and see how they are before jumping. I have a 1944 made Win 94 in very good condition with a sewer tapered barrel that I am thinking about sending to JES to be rebored into a .35-30-30. Just waiting on the money. Sometimes other needs come first.

And I am negotiating with a guy who is making stub barrels for H&R Handi Rifles. We are talking about an 18-20 inch barrel with scope mount in .45lc. Also talking possible twist rates. If that one happens in May the Henry gets pushed back.

Why do I need a sporting goods store with their inflated prices and their counter people who don't know near enough to answer a question?

IMO I don't. I am tight, I admit it. I am scotch on both sides to varying degree.
I come by it honest. You want to pry dollars out of me I expect value. I simply will not pay 10$ a pound more for the same product and I have to get my wife to take me there. When I can just jump on this little puter tablet and get exactly what I need when I need it and pay less.

It is amazon and walmart all over again. I did not invent it. There is no point hating the system.
Wasted energy and angst. You learn to deal with the world as it is.

Back in the 60's and 70's times were easier, bills were lower, dollars went a lot further. There were no big box stores or computers so we supported one or more local shops. I still visit the guy who ran mine, bring a gun or 2 to show him whats for sale these days. I feel like I owe it to him.

But I never see anyone else there.

JWT
04-05-2017, 09:43 PM
Times are changing.
Leadmelter
MI

Which store?

Guesser
04-05-2017, 10:28 PM
I shop Scheels in Great Falls Montana for powder. They have consistently had a better selection than any other store in town and I was then and still now buying Bullseye and Unique for slightly under $20.00 (19.99)

Scharfschuetze
04-06-2017, 02:01 AM
For those of you living in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, Pinto's Gun Shop in Renton is a great place with knowledgeable employees, a good selection of powder, primers and other components as well as real blued steel guns with walnut stocks and military surplus rifles. It's usually pretty vibrant and noisy with shoppers and shooting aficionados.

smokeywolf
04-06-2017, 03:09 AM
Hard to find a friendly welcoming gun shop in SoCal. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in gun shops. Mostly "Pony Express" in Encino, CA and occasionally "Martin Retting" in Culver City, CA. Most shops now are; "don't talk to me unless you want to buy something".

toallmy
04-06-2017, 05:44 AM
I can't get the warm and fuzzy feeling about purchasing a firearm when I must first pick a number and wait for it to be called .

marvelshooter
04-06-2017, 06:16 AM
I pass a relatively new gun shop on my way home and I have not stopped in yet. It is in a 2 car garage adjacent to the owner's house. Every day the drive way is full and at least half the cars are the same ones every day. I don't want to have to take a ticket either but I am not comfortable visiting a new shop where there will be a half dozen guys eyeballing new meat.

Petrol & Powder
04-06-2017, 08:00 AM
The community certainly has changed but that's inevitable.

The patrons of most gun stores seem to break down into different groups:

There are the gun owners or potential gun owners that aren't really gun people (probably the largest group).
There is the hunting crowd with its varying degrees of intelligence.
There are the Mall Ninja's & Gun Store Commandos (by far the most annoying bunch)
And there are the "Gun" people that are the dedicated shooters, reloaders, collectors, etc. (Has always been the smallest group in my experience).

The small Gun Stores that attract the "Gun People" have always been less common and seem to be almost extinct these days.

psweigle
04-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Wow! I'm lucky then, I have a reloading shop 15 min from my house. The guy ALWAYS has the lowest price on bullets dies presses accessories powder............... And the LGS we deal with has hours by appointment ONLY, and he is cheaper than most of the other shops in my area.

Ateam
04-06-2017, 10:30 AM
For those of you living in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, Pinto's Gun Shop in Renton is a great place with knowledgeable employees, a good selection of powder, primers and other components as well as real blued steel guns with walnut stocks and military surplus rifles. It's usually pretty vibrant and noisy with shoppers and shooting aficionados.

I used to live in Mt Vernon, and I would go to kesselring's for all my needs (components and banter) Though I hear they are shut down these days, sad.

Ateam
04-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Times are changing.
Leadmelter
MI

I grew up north of kalamazoo, and On Target was always the place to go. Still stop in once a year or so, and it is always busy. Have not been in since the election, maybe it has slowed down. Believe it or not, there is not a single store up here (gander mtn does not count, those guys couldnt find their a**es with both hands) that keeps even a small reloading inventory on hand. Thank god for midway.

Scharfschuetze
04-06-2017, 12:18 PM
I used to live in Mt Vernon, and I would go to kesselring's for all my needs (components and banter) Though I hear they are shut down these days, sad.

The mention of Kesselring's brings back some great memories. The old man was a real shooter and he took care of real shooters, particularly competitive shooters. Whenever my rifle team shot up north, we always stopped at Kesselring's gun shop to see him and buy components before heading back to Fort Lewis in the South Sound.

The old man passed away, and his sons ran the store into the ground. There may have also been some issues with transfers under the kids. As I understand it, Prosecution either has been or is pending on some of those infractions.

Big Boomer
04-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Like most of you casters and reloaders, I don't know of anyone here in southern Ky. who casts and reloads. I'm hung out here all alone ... but am I ever popular with my family members who want to come to my place and reload the bullets I cast. Same with the guys at church who want to come and "get with me" and do a little shooting. My stuff, of course. I just show them how and let them have at it with my Dillon XL 650. May get some more boolit casters into the game that way eventually. I hope, anyway. A nephew by marriage is really gung-ho about cast boolits due to the above arrangements. Had not seen or heard from them in years until he and his wife (my brother's daughter) bought some Sig pistols and came down and loaded some ammo. Now they are really big on coming for a visit. When they went to buy ammo and got sticker shock, I became something special. These were former liberal Obama supporters who have had a big change of heart. Big Boomer

salpal48
04-06-2017, 02:27 PM
LGS will only stock what They sell. . They are not Outlaying Cash and have to pay COD or monthly to Have It sit. Unlike Cabellas, Bass Pro, Walmart. Do not directly Pay For the Items on The shelf. There on what as Known In the Trade as Open Receipt. One it sell Then Everyone gets Paid.
Another reason. Just Because all People on This site Load. I go to the range once a week. and Loaders are Few and Far between. . I found Very little interest In the Hobby

mold maker
04-06-2017, 04:20 PM
In my 20s there were 7 LGS and they all did a brisk business. Slowly they all disappeared and no new ones took their place. Now there are 2 within a half hr. driving time and neither carries much inventory. Only one sell new guns from the counter and components are hit or miss. Now there are half a doz Pawn shops with somebody else's problems and junk.
What happened to all those customers that used to keep all 7 stores busy?
Are we a dying breed, or has interest waned? By the way, the population is over 3 hundred times what it was then.

JWT
04-06-2017, 04:28 PM
I grew up north of kalamazoo, and On Target was always the place to go. Still stop in once a year or so, and it is always busy. Have not been in since the election, maybe it has slowed down. Believe it or not, there is not a single store up here (gander mtn does not count, those guys couldnt find their a**es with both hands) that keeps even a small reloading inventory on hand. Thank god for midway.

I'm heading out to the Kalamazoo Air Zoo and then the USS Silversides with my son over the next couple of days. I think we will stop in at On Target while out that way.

gpidaho
04-06-2017, 04:45 PM
As posted above. I will NOT take a number and stand in line to buy a gun. Here me Cabela's? Gp

gpidaho
04-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Please support your local gun shop even if their price is 20-30 dollars more. They most likely paid their supplier that much more than the big box sporting goods outlet did. Having someone behind the counter that knows what their talking about helps. Last time I tried to buy a gun at a large box store I ask the young man behind the counter, " Do you stock Charter Arms Revolvers?" I got a blank stare and a "Not that I'm aware of." Gp

gwpercle
04-06-2017, 05:09 PM
I really miss our old local gun shop. It was owned by a man and his wife but it grew to a rather large size . They carried everything....and I mean everything you could want. I bought all my casting , reloading , shooting and accessories from N.A. Guns on Florida Blvd.
They sold lead , tin and wheel weight alloy , once fired brass , presses, dies , lube/sizers and much more, powders , primers , boolits and J word bullets .... all there in the store. Had a gunsmith, on site, they would do any job you needed done . I never left there without finding what I needed . The owner even taught me how to use the Lee Loader and not long after explained how to set up and use the loading press and dies I next bought .
Then the internet came , no stores needed...order it and the next day it's delivered.
I miss the old gun shop a lot ! We have three local , individual owned , shops and I make it a point to only buy from them, if at all possible. They don't stock much reloading gear like moulds, but all my powder, primers and firearms is bought over the counter.
They are small businesses and I would hate to see them go too.
Gary

Leadmelter
04-06-2017, 05:17 PM
JWT
Michigun and Tackle. St. Clair Shores
Leadmelter
MI

fiberoptik
04-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Nice place in St Charles & Duncans in Bay City

fiberoptik
04-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Avoid Dick Williams in Bridgeport like the plague!!

fiberoptik
04-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Was a new place in Saginaw county out Titabawassee on South side between Bay rd & M-47, forget name.

TCoggins
04-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Was a new place in Saginaw county out Titabawassee on South side between Bay rd & M-47, forget name.

You might be thinking of Duncan's. I went there with my dad last year. Neat shop. Older gentleman met us at the door, shook our hands and told us to make ourselves at home. I try to visit there when I'm in the area.

Adam20
04-06-2017, 07:45 PM

sheridan arms. Mostly tactical guns and gear

Adam20
04-06-2017, 08:04 PM
This is how I feel. The LGS in st. Charles mi I frequent has powder,primers,boolits, and some equipment. But, I never see anybody in their buying reloading stuff when I am there. I am the only person I know around here who reloads. All the gun stores have reloading stuff though.

bares, I go there often also and nobody else in powder area.

Leadmelter
04-06-2017, 08:18 PM
They are building a smaller Cabella's on I94 and M59. Should be open this summer.
Also enjoy stopping at Jay's when Up North.
Whenever I check into a hotel/motel, I check the yellow pages for any local gun vendors.
Leadmelter
MI

salpal48
04-06-2017, 08:48 PM
I would say Lack Of Interest, Internet sales. Big box store . and Too Too many Home dealers, Shot gun news. The Brick & mortar store Today has to big of an Overhead Before He sell 1 Item.. Rent, Inventory < Loan on Inventory, Utilities, Insurance, some product Liability and Regulations.
Unlike Other sports , Hunting and shooting has a stigma against them. also unlike Other sports or Hobbies. The income Level of Customers. for hunting and shooting are Far below Most any Other sport.

frkelly74
04-06-2017, 10:31 PM
I am soon to be back in Michigan, over Saginaw way. When I was in south west Michigan I was in On target quite often on M43 west out of Kalamazoo right by Menards. There is also Shantz Supply in Otsego on M89 toward Allegan. They always had Powder and primers during the recent past. They also have tires but seem to want to keep all the old wheel weights for some reason. Bobs Gun and Tackle near Hastings on M43 pretty close to the junction with M37 can also be a reasonably good place to do business. I went to Baers In St Charles a few times but not recently. They had a really impressive rack of used guns that you could fondle at that time. I will be paying them a visit pretty soon and probably also paying them some money too.

country gent
04-06-2017, 11:00 PM
There is Johnsons in Adrian a small - medium sized shop but the people are friendly. I always find it a little Dark light wise for examining firearms. I used to stop in to Jays up by Claire mich just before and after deer gun season also. I always liked the old shops several had a wood stove with a few chairs around it and coffee on. Was always an experience. I am keeping more to myself in the local shop as I am tired of explain something to a new shooter only to be told I'm wrong

JWT
04-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Frank's Great Outdoors in Linwood is pretty nice too.

Stumbled on Williams Gun Shop in Auburn, MI. Also a nice place. Had a good used gun rack and a pretty complete supply of powder.

michael.birdsley
04-07-2017, 01:36 AM
sheridan arms. Mostly tactical guns and gear

You can rent full auto guns to shoot too. They had a lot of pistols but, they are pricey.

pjames32
04-07-2017, 01:51 AM
Guess we are lucky to have both big box stores and a few Pawn shops that are heavy into guns and reloading. I see at lot of new young reloaders and try talk to them in the stores. I see very few casters and most of us have gray/white/no hair. I think the cost to get into casting along with the changes in WW availability has discouraged the young ones from casting.
I really miss the LGS we had with a gunsmith available. If they didn't have it they would order it and I was more than willing to pay a bit more to do business with them.

Rodbuster55
04-07-2017, 07:27 AM
There is Johnsons in Adrian a small - medium sized shop but the people are friendly.
Johnsons is a good store. I always try to stop in there when I'm up that way.

Green Frog
04-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Johnsons is a good store. I always try to stop in there when I'm up that way.
A special added attraction @ Johnson's is the gunsmithing available. Steve Durren is one of the very best in the business. Almost makes me wish I lived further North! :roll:

Froggie

Green Frog
04-07-2017, 07:48 AM
I would say Lack Of Interest, Internet sales. Big box store . and Too Too many Home dealers, Shot gun news. The Brick & mortar store Today has to big of an Overhead Before He sell 1 Item.. Rent, Inventory < Loan on Inventory, Utilities, Insurance, some product Liability and Regulations.
Unlike Other sports , Hunting and shooting has a stigma against them. also unlike Other sports or Hobbies. The income Level of Customers. for hunting and shooting are Far below Most any Other sport.

All of this and more. Buying and selling in general (and for just about all things) are in a state of major change, and when you add special considerations such as licensing and insurance (not to mention extra record keeping and beaurocratic intervention) the old style LGS has a tough time of it. For this reason, I'll try to support the good ones... but it has to be a relational thing, they have to want my business as well.

Froggie

dondiego
04-07-2017, 01:51 PM
The only problem with Johnson's in Adrian is that they have this lay away plan. You can go in there and peruse their inventory of used and new firearms and if you see one you like, you can lay down 10% and make monthly payments. It is a cruel policy. I have two in hock right now.

JWT
04-09-2017, 12:41 AM
On Target in Kalamazoo was a worthwhile stop on my trip. A lot of great stuff to look at. Very complete reloading area that even included once fired brass and shotgun hulls. There was even some casting equipment. Last few times I was in Bass Pro I stood in front of the handgun counter with $$$ in pocket for a Ruger Vaquero 45LC and was ignored. At on Target I was repeatedly and politely asked if there was anything I could be helped with. I will visit again next time I am out that way.