PDA

View Full Version : Redoing a browned barrel

RU shooter
04-05-2017, 10:30 AM
I bought a used muzzleloader and am planning on refinishing it . It's a Dixie mtn rifle barrel was factory browned . I normally use the laurel mtn forge browning solution , can you apply it right over the existing finish or would it be better to polish it off and start from bare metal ?

Tim

gnoahhh
04-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Polish it off first. That will ensure a nice even finish.

country gent
04-05-2017, 12:21 PM
I would also recommend a light draw filing and polish to remove bright spots and gain a consistant surface to start with. It wont take very long to do and will make a even surface finish much easier. When refinished and done those little handling marks and bright spots can show thru due to slightly different surface finishes. Another reason is the fresh surface will take the finish better than the old one will. A heavy file wrapped in sand paper will polish it up quickly. If no big imperfections a 220-240 grit to start 320 then 400 worked like drawfiling gives a finish with the polish lines in a consitant direction.

RU shooter
04-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Thanks draw filing will fix it of the unsightly made in Japan stamping on it too .

KCSO
04-06-2017, 04:08 PM
The factory brown was a chemical application more like paint than real brown. To do the job right take it to bare metal no finer than 220 grit paper. I use Plumb Brown for a starter and give it a coat of plumb brown. Then I card the barrel and wet it lightly with Mark Lee brown and put it in the humidity cabinet for 8 hours . Then card and wet and repeat till I get a nice even brown with no drastic pitting. THEN scrub the barrel with a nylon brush or wet burlap sacking and baking soda. Rinse and put the barrel on a rod and heat it till bees wax melts into the barrel and just about smokes. Let it cool and you will have a barrel that can go under water and never change and will wear well over the years. A dark chocolate brown that lasts and looks right!

If you have access to a bead blaster fine bead or walnut shell will strip the barrel in a hurry. In a cabinet you can be done in 48 hours, without you can still do it but it will take a few days depending on where you live.