PDA

View Full Version : Gun Smith for ruger securtiy six

Ernest
07-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi,
I have a ruger SS security 6. I like the gun but the double action pull is atrocious. Any body got a recommendation for a smith that can do a good trigger job on the rugers.

James C. Snodgrass
07-11-2008, 10:57 PM
A set of wolf springs will make a big difference, also a little polishing and stoning . Will go a long way towards smoothing it up I put mine in 20 yrs ago. Just make sure you test it out as far as good ignition on your primer of choice goes . James:)

Ernest
07-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi I have replaced the springs but to no availe. I think that there is some kind of tolerance build up that caused stacking in the middle of the double action stroke. I am alllllll Left thumbs and I am afraid that if I start taking metal off all is lost[smilie=1:

fourarmed
07-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Ernest, you might start by examining all the areas of metal-to-metal contact involved in the double action stroke to see if there is any evidence of galling. If so, polish those areas with crocus cloth, then lube them lightly with lubriplate, Gunslick, Action Magic, or some other very slick grease. If you don't find anything obvious, start lubing the contact surfaces one at a time until you find the one that is causing the problem, then polish.

MtGun44
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
This can be done by anyone that can dissassemble and reassemble a
S6, and cares enough to follow these simple instructions. NO rocket
science and NO modifications to any working surfaces - just polishing
dead flat surfaces very slightly. This is entirely safe if done as described
and the Sec 6 has no surface finish on small parts that will need replacing, unlike a
S&W with the lovely color casehardening that would make this kind of work very
tricky or impossible.

Dissassemble the trigger group parts, take some digital photos or make
good sketches of how the parts were originally, including how the springs
were put in. Get one or two sheets of silicon carbide "Wet-R-Dri" (black)
sandpaper in 600 grit, plus a piece of glass or something that is as flat
and stiff, maybe a big chunk of 1/4" steel with NO raised bumps or an old
piece of formica countertop. Lay the 600 grit on the flat and add a few
drops of kerosene. Rub the SIDE ONLY of each action piece dead flat on
the sandpaper (no rocking - FLAT) until the side is uniformly polished to
a uniform scratch pattern. Flip the part and do the other side. Do the
next part. Should take about 30 sec to 1 minute per side.

Wrap a piece of 600 grit around a paint mixing stick or flat tongue depressor
and lube with kero and polish the inside SIDES of the frame where the
parts will rub. About 1-2 minutes per side will be fine. Stay flat, polish only.

Reassemble with a spring kit from Brownell's.

You will have a wonderful trigger job and near zero cost beyond the
springs.

Bill

Bat Guano
09-28-2009, 11:48 PM
If the gun was previously owned by someone else, it may have been "improved" by them...

If you proceed carefully you can probably do the above mentioned work yourself. Parts are still available from Ruger, although they may not send you everything. You have the option of boxing it up and sending it off to them. They are pretty reasonable on their work. It's the shipping that costs.