PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Question

powwowell
04-04-2017, 05:39 PM
The only press I've reloaded on is a Lee Classic Turret. The powder through die is different for each caliber.

I'm considering ordering a Hornady LNL and I don't understand how the powder is dispensed. A 45 case is a lot larger than a 380, or 9mm case. I'm hoping to use my Lee Dies in 9mm, 380 and 45 ACP. Do I need a Hornady Powder Through die for each caliber, that I'm reloading? If not, just how does the Hornday work? Is it worth it to order Hornady dies?

I already have Hornady LNL shell plates for 9mm, 380 and 45 ACP. What else is recommended?

powwowell
04-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Duh! I don't know why I had a brain fart? Well, I do. I don't want to make any mistakes when I order the LNL. Each caliber has a powder through die, with the case mouth expander. Sorry for the wasted band width.

Carrier
04-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Go through these videos, set it up like that and you won't have any issues.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLByND7BRp-e0J7qDS_C9gIzfzEWzn10Hl

blikseme300
04-05-2017, 10:02 AM
You can also use the Lee Auto Disk on the LnL AP. I do this for all pistol realoading as well as for some rifle. The double disk kit adds a lot of versatility.

earlmck
04-05-2017, 11:46 AM
If you are figuring on getting the Hornady auto-drop powder measure with the L-N-L press, it doesn't use the powder-thru dies: it has different length inserts in the drop mechanism depending on whether you are loading rifle, small rifle, or pistol cartridges. For your 3 cartridges you would use the long (pistol) insert with some minor length adjustments of the measure when changing between cartridges.