PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4 cavity Mould handles?

BigboreShooter
07-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Do Rcbs or Lee mould handles fit Lyman 4 cavity moulds? Or will I have to buy a set of lyman handles?

mtgrs737
07-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Not with out grinding work, I don't know of any handles that interchange with Lyman 4 cavity blocks.

C1PNR
07-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Hang around here for awhile. Who knows what might show up in the "Group Buy" section. Perhaps even an occasionally talked about 4 Cavity Lyman mould handle of exquisite quality produced by one of our own.[smilie=1:

Mojave
07-13-2008, 04:30 PM
The RCBS handle measure 0.298 while the slot in my Lyman mold is 0.250, so it will not fit. I too needed a handle and picked up one in the used ben at a local gun shop, which raises a second question. Unlike the RCBS handle, the mold goes between the swivel pin and the handle. I assume that the spru plate knock tab would face away from the handle, but the alignment pins would indicate the reverse?

HeavyMetal
07-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Mojave:
I have always mounted my Lyman 4 bangers with the sprue plate " knocker" pointed at the wood handles.

This way I can "roll" the mold about 30 or 40 degrees right ( mold held in the right hand) and smack the sprue plate with my plastic mallet. This way I am striking the plate in a manner that is exactly square with the boolit base and lessen the chance of bending the sprue plate!

Boomer Mikey
07-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I believe the new 4 cavity handles are like the 2 cavity handles with the pivot point below the blocks.

I'm going to buy 2 or 3 Lee handles the next time they're on sale at Midway and mill them thinner to fit the blocks then transfer punch the pin-holes and drill them. I also drill and pin the handles to keep them in their place.

I should be able to make at least two - maybe 3 sets of handles for the cost of a single Lyman handle and 30 minutes of my time.

Boomer :Fire:

monadnock#5
07-29-2008, 08:39 PM
I have a newer NEI 4 cav that works great with RCBS handles. I recently picked up an older NEI 4 cav that gave me a couple minutes anxiety. RCBS, Saeco, Lyman new 4 cav pliers style, Lyman 2 cav... none fit. UH OH!! I finally tried an old Lyman 4 cav nutcracker style handle and all was well. Can't speak to the Lee 6 cav style as I didn't get that far.

The point is, as you progress in advanced mould collecting, you'll find you need an advanced collection of handles to go along with them. Multiples of each, for when you start casting 3 or 4 moulds at a time.