PDA

View Full Version : Looking for lite weight S+W/Ruger 38 hammer gun (suggestions)

Edward
04-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Looking for a limited use 38 for the wife ,I will be making mouse fart loads to ease recoil for a new shooter . The guide lines given to me are weight (under 15 oz) used /reasonable and simple .Got the simple down but not the rest ,been looking at
S+W airweights /some Rugers but I have never used small revolver and do not have experience with trigger pull . She can not operate double action /too difficult, health issues also reason for lite weight . My large frames have excellent single action triggers but none are suitable because of weight so any ideas would be welcome /Thanks Ed

str8wal
04-04-2017, 10:38 AM
I have the ruger LCRx and absolutely love it. It is a bit snappy with +P 158's but standard 125's not bad at all. Trigger is sweet in both SA and DA and hammer is easy to cock.

smkummer
04-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Those guns are safest when fired double action. The new Colt cobra has a 8 lb. double action pull but its now made of steel and is about 22 oz.. I carry a Colt alloy agent and its 6 shots and 15 oz. But its double action pull is at least 10 lbs to insure primer ignition. And yes, shooting something like 38 wadcutters and about 2.8 grains bullseye is a mild load. If she must cock the gun, make sure she is very very comfortable uncocking the gun. I know a friend that his wife ended up shooting a hole in the recliner has she attempted to uncock a revolver after the noise she heard was un announced friends coming over.

FergusonTO35
04-04-2017, 11:06 AM
S&W 637 or Ruger LCRX will serve you well. I chose the 637 because there are pretty much limitless grip options for it. Mine is deadly with a Lyman 148 grain wadcutter over 3.1 grains Bullseye.

mcdaniel.mac
04-04-2017, 01:24 PM
I really liked the LCRX myself. Reminded me a lot of the feel of my duty Model 64, but far lighter.

Mytmousemalibu
04-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Being a S&W guy, naturally I love the J-Frame. Out of the box the LCR has the lighter trigger but the inexpensive Wilson Combat spring pack makes a J-frame a sweet little gun. My daily carry is a Model 442 no-lock with a Wilson Combat spring kit installed, using the lightest springs, plus a Cylinder & Slide extended firing pin. The pull is light and smooth with a crisp break and positive reset. I put the parts in the day I got it and it has gone bang every time. The kit has multiple weights of spring to tune to your preference. I also fitted an SDM cylinder release as i have them on my other revolvers and i like the sharp and grippy knurling. They don't make it specifically for J-frames so I had to fit it. I recently added a set of Altamont super rosewood grip stocks to it and next thing I will be doing is an XS big dot front sight as i have these on other guns and love them.

country gent
04-04-2017, 02:40 PM
The J-frame S&Ws are solid performers. The newest version in titanium scandium are very light and useable. I have a 2" 340 that's great to carry and accurate. One with a 3" barrel would be even better with the added sight radious. Mine is chambered in 357 mag and loaded isn't heavy enough to make my suit coat droop or sag. Recoil is heavy even with my light wadcutter loads, 2.7 grns bullseye 148 grn HB. Wax bullet loads are a fun load for indoor practice though LOL. The extra inch of barrel would help some also. If a 3" version can be found.
Remember as weight goes down recoil goes up a good fit and right grips help a lot here.

jmort
04-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Have a 360 and 13 oz .357 is really light. The Ruger LCRs are great guns. Have 5 soon to be 6 with the .357 LCRX. The .38 LCRX was perfect for my daughter with wadcutters. Love the 9mm models. LCR is a great choice with a trigger which is far better than the J Frames I have owned.

psweigle
04-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Another vote for the Ruger, the all rubber grip means no metal digging into the hand. The hammer is easy to use and the single action trigger of the lcrx is great. I have turned a lot of scared shooters on to the lcrx 38 special with 158gr boolits and 2.8 grains of bullseye.

KCSO
04-04-2017, 04:18 PM
I carried a S and W Model 38 airweight for years. Had the action done by Bill Laughridge and it was as accurate as needed and easy to shoot. For my wife and practice I used standard wadcutters 2.8 of Bullseye and a 148 and for duty Nyclad 158 semi wadcutters. One of my current backups is a M36 Bobbed hammer slicked action made in 1958.

Edward
04-04-2017, 07:28 PM
Sounds like Ruger has a lot of fans and I am listening /Thanks Ed

Bill*B
04-04-2017, 09:13 PM
The little model 37 "airweight" S&W weights less than 16 ounces, fully loaded with factory wadcutters. It's as reliable as your pastor, and packs a lot of punch for the pound.

Bigslug
04-05-2017, 01:04 AM
There are a couple of 3", all-stainless S&W Model 60's that exceed your weight spec by a little (23-24 ounces), but you could be in a situation where a little more weight might be preferable to the more recoil you get firing identical loads through the featherweights. If she's been a non-shooter to this point, the perceptions can change a lot between handling ("Well this is light and cute") and actual firing ("MY GOT IT HURTS TO SHOOT IT!")

Those models also give you a little more sight radius and adjustable sights, so probably less frustrating to start on than a 2" nasal inhaler.

The 4" Ruger SP-101 kicks the weight up to about 30 oz, but it is becoming more of a serious target gun for the small handed. They slick up nice with proper break in, so the DA may not be beyond her with practice.

Probably a case of taking her shooting before taking her shopping.

FergusonTO35
04-05-2017, 07:05 AM
If you can stretch the weight requirement some, the Rossi 461/462 is a darn good little sixgun for the money. It's the closest thing to a Detective Special or snubby K-frame you can find today other than the new Colt Cobra which isn't really available yet. Mine has a 3" tube and shoots much better than it has a right to. I would take it any day over the SP-101 I used to have which was the same size and weight, held one fewer round, and had a horrid trigger pull.

rintinglen
04-05-2017, 07:34 AM
I have a foolish number of snubnosed 38's and have owned others besides. I'd look for a S&W Airweight 37 or a Bodyguard 638 if there was some overriding need for light weight. Other wise, I'd get a steel-frame revolver. A quarter pound more weight makes for a much more pleasant shooting experience.

FergusonTO35
04-05-2017, 08:04 AM
The Taurus 85 is another to consider. My local shop sells bunches of them with few complaints. Stainless or aluminum for $300.00.

charlie b
04-05-2017, 08:15 AM
My wife had a little Taurus for quite a while. Nice little gun. Better trigger than any of the Smiths or Rugers under the glass that day. I later had a 3" SP101 and I liked the trigger on mine. Not as good as my Python but still nice. Whatever you do let her at least dry fire them before buying. Different hands like different grip shapes.

Edward
04-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the replys ,it is quite an education on small frames guns and as usual I am learning /Thanks Ed

Petrol & Powder
04-05-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm in rintinglen's camp.

The alloy S&W J-frames are solid performers and once mastered, the gun itself is capable of excellent work. HOWEVER, snubnosed revolvers are difficult to master and I've never considered them to be a beginner's gun. The lightweight ones are great for concealed carry but a little more weight is nice when you're just punching holes in paper. Even with light loads, a steel J-Frame is a bit more pleasant to practice with than an alloy framed model.
If concealment isn't an overriding factor, I would look at a 3" barrel and larger grips. That combination will take you out of the snubnose class and a K-frame may actually be a better choice at that point. S&W made 3" J-frames with alloy frames and that may be an acceptable solution for the OP with the correct grip installed - but that's no longer a snubnose.

There seems to always be a correlation between females and small guns. Small guns are not guns for beginners. While I understand that two guns (one to start with and another for once the skills have been acquired) may not be in the cards; I think new shooters and snubnose revolvers is a frustrating mix.

I'm a huge fan of the DAO snubnose 38 Special revolver as a SD tool but it's not a beginner's gun.

rond
04-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Have you looked at the Charter Arms? My son has one and they seem to be well made.

FergusonTO35
04-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Late model Charters are good guns, I've had a few. Now that I think about it, if the OP's wife is totally new to shooting and has health issues I think she might be better served with something else. A lightweight snub is still going to have some recoil and muzzle jump even with mild ammo, unless she can consistently grip it tightly a snub will probably be an exercise in frustration. The short sighting radius and minuscule sights aren't going to help her either.

Have you you considered the Ruger LCRX with 3" barrel? It comes with adjustable sights and a big comfortable grip, still weighs under 20oz. I think. It's the large print edition of the standard LCR.:-)

beemer
04-05-2017, 04:46 PM
I like the S&W Airweight , bought one for my wife. She can't deal with the slide on an auto but handles the J frame just fine. Revolvers are good choices for someone that is not a gun person , simple and easy to operate. Not being ammo sensitive you can work up a load that they can handle easily. If the action is a little stiff you can have that improved , grips can also be changed.

Small guns are always a trade off, any time you gain something you lose something, it's just figuring out which ones you are comfortable with.

Dave.

Edward
04-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Again as posted I need simple/Light(under 17 oz)It is for the wife not for me,me I have had full carry since mid-80s and am into accuracy with every thing I shoot at silly distances (for me) ! If /when something happens to me ,where we live No family member with permit the state will confiscate all hand guns /and no compensation ! Plus only permit issued is full carry or premise only ,and that means go out of the house with gun, lose permit/ loose gun /lose freedom for up to a year! So as stated she needs full carry /lite and simple and my reloads take care of recoil ! Also anyone plagued by having to many that fit the bill let me know and I can help /Thanks Ed

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-05-2017, 09:28 PM
R ...

shooting on a shoestring
04-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Another thought, go 32 S&W in an old I-frame. My wife, small hands, not much strength, not into shooting but wanted a gun she could use. She latched on to the first I-frame I brought home. It's a Regulation Police 32 Ctg. 3&1/4" barrel. Loaded with wad cutters. She uses it much better than any of my J-frames or SP101's. Its very smooth. She can run it DA but mostly shoots it SA.

FergusonTO35
04-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Geez, I think one way or another she needs to get a permit ASAP so that the Stalinists are less likely to get all the guns if something happens to you.

Sam Casey
04-05-2017, 10:36 PM
You will not find a better smooth operating 38 Spl. than the old Colt Diamondback. Has a nice wide easy cocking hammer for S/A use. Not a "cheap date", but IMO the best there is.

Mytmousemalibu
04-06-2017, 01:55 PM
The LCR chambered in .327 Fed Mag would probably be a good option for her. It holds an additional round over the other 5-shooters and .327 is no slouch but reduced recoil. You can certainly drop down in cartridge to meet her recoil requirements with .32 H&R or .32 S&W. I'm more a Smith guy but that is a Ruger I want myself. Might be a good fit for her. I do agree, take her to the range and have her sample the rental rack.

dualsport
04-06-2017, 02:09 PM
I have a 25+ year old Charter Arms Undercover .38 Special that is my primary ccw choice when in town. I had the hammer bobbed long ago so it is used mainly DA but can still be cocked and fired single action if needed. Carried inside the waist band for years thru hot summers and zero rust.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-06-2017, 02:18 PM
In this case I would think an older S&W 37 would be ideal. Light weight aluminum frame. Double action trigger, with the option of a nice light single action trigger pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rugerdude
04-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Gotta add a vote for J Frame Smith. My mom bought a 37 many years ago to carry in her purse or jacket pocket and wanted something lightweight. She was a fairly small woman with small hands and she never had any problem with it. When she passed away, she left it to me and it has become my regular shorts and T-shirt carry gun. Just drop it in a front pocket in a suede holster and it's very easy to carry and doesn't attract any attention.

FergusonTO35
04-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Whatever she ends up with, grips can make or break her ability to shoot it. I was reminded of this fact yesterday when I was shooting my 637 and Ruger Service Six. The 637, equipped with Pachmayr Compac Pro grips, was making much tighter groups double action at 15 feet than the Service Six with it's slick and skinny OEM wood grips.

Lefty Red
04-18-2017, 04:15 PM
J frame has the best selection of grips to fit the Shooters hand.

The LCR is nice, but Grip selection is non existent.

Lefty

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Lefty Red
04-18-2017, 05:52 PM
You might call three grips "a lot" to choice from, but I don't.

Just GOOGLE grips for either the LCR or J Frame and see which one has the most.

Eagle Grips has the Secret Service grips, and they are beautiful when they actually fit the LCR! [emoji41]

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-18-2017, 06:23 PM

FergusonTO35
04-19-2017, 01:48 PM
I'm with Lefty here. I like the LCR but don't like any of the grips available for it. My 637 wears the Pachmayr Compac Pro, the best grip I have ever tried on a snubby. Using Jerry Miculek's technique and my pet loads (3.1 Bullseye/Lyman 35891 for 712 fps) I can shoot it quite well. Ordered me a Galco Ankle Lite holster for the 637 this morning

Blackwater
04-19-2017, 02:31 PM
As to trigger pulls, S&W has it all over any other brands, IMO. I've always slicked mine up, which is really pretty easy and easy to learn. Main thing to know is that if you install a lighter trigger return spring, you HAVE to ALSO install the lighter cylinder bolt spring, that powers the little thingy that locks the cylinders into alignment. If you slick one up, and leave the bolt spring factory level, it CAN fail to return, with the lighter trigger return spring and the std. factory bolt spring still in place. I never had mine fail after installing both springs, and I shot mine a LOT. FWIW?

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 04:43 AM
Uhhhh ... 3+1 plus wooden ones is ... how many?

I never said there was "a lot" ... but you wrote ...

Do you remember writing the above quote, especially the bold part?

And both Badger and Houge make wooden grips, besides Eagle!

And in post #24 I wrote ...

So I'm familiar with the fact that there are more choices for the J frame, but also know that there are more than just the factory grip available for the LCR ... try Google yourself!

123, I didn't mean anything personally by my post. So please don't take it that way.

Sure, you want to spend the money for a custom stock maker then that opens a whole new door. Just depends on the amount of money you want to throw at it.

And yes, you can have any grip you want for the LCR.....as long as it's a Hogue and it's big and bulky. Not really optimized for a pocket carry 5 shot revolver.

I had a LCR, 9mm that would dismantle the rounds by shot three or four. Loved my friend's 38 LCR. But it's still bigger and bulkier than my 642. I can go online and pick about type of Grip for the SW J Frame, or a Taurus 605/85 for under $50. Most of them under $35. Besides the cheaper three Hogue grips (Tamer, Gripper, or Boot) you are paying over $50 and it's custom made.

The LCR will fit most holsters for the Colt Detective, a six shot snubbie. Which leaves me thinking, why can't Ruger make a six shot snubbie that is just a tad bigger?

And right now, my favorite gunshop has 642s on sale for $359. If I wasn't holding out for a 637, I would have one in layaway.

But this is just my opinion and my personal experience. Just like everyone else's. And I enjoy reading everyone's experiences and take what I need from than and leave the rest. No need to get worked up over it.

Be safe!

Lefty

psweigle
04-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Can't believe no one mentioned the s&w 642. But I'm leaning more to the ruger lcr 327. It will shoot 32s&w 32s&w long 32acp 32mag, and 327 federal. Can't adjust a gun any easier for a multitude of shooters.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-20-2017, 08:31 AM

jmort
04-20-2017, 08:50 AM
"As to trigger pulls, S&W has it all over any other brands"

I have had 4 J Frames and 6 LCR/LCRxs
The $850 360 had a 15 pound trigger pull and all the other J Frame triggers are a joke compared to the LCRs in my opinion. There is a longer reset with the LCR , but no current production snub comes close to the LCR trigger. I love my two 9mm LCRs and the rest of them as well. I like the stock grips. Get what works for you.

FergusonTO35
04-20-2017, 10:01 AM
Sure, you want to spend the money for a custom stock maker then that opens a whole new door. Just depends on the amount of money you want to throw at it.

And yes, you can have any grip you want for the LCR.....as long as it's a Hogue and it's big and bulky. Not really optimized for a pocket carry 5 shot revolver.

I had a LCR, 9mm that would dismantle the rounds by shot three or four. Loved my friend's 38 LCR. But it's still bigger and bulkier than my 642. I can go online and pick about type of Grip for the SW J Frame, or a Taurus 605/85 for under $50. Most of them under $35. Besides the cheaper three Hogue grips (Tamer, Gripper, or Boot) you are paying over $50 and it's custom made.

The LCR will fit most holsters for the Colt Detective, a six shot snubbie. Which leaves me thinking, why can't Ruger make a six shot snubbie that is just a tad bigger?

Dang it Lefty, quit telepathically stealing my thoughts before I can post them!!;)

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Can't believe no one mentioned the s&w 642. But I'm leaning more to the ruger lcr 327. It will shoot 32s&w 32s&w long 32acp 32mag, and 327 federal. Can't adjust a gun any easier for a multitude of shooters.

They would be on my short list, if Ruger made it a 6 shot!

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Lefty,

Did you miss the picture above with the Pachmayr's?

Didn't cost me even $50!

There are options out there other than Houge ... ;)

I'm sorry you wern't happy with your 9 LCR ... I like my 357 LCR, wish they made a LMR, 7 shot 3" DAO, basically a plumped up LCR!

Yes I did, two pretty snubbie!
But not what I would put on them for carry. Just too big, like everything except for the Boot Grip from Hogue.

But hey, it's not worth arguing over. :)

But I do wonder, why don't LCR users holler at Hogue and ask them to make the Boot Grip in that G10 material? That would make for a dandy stock for pocket and CCW use. I mean, it's like the sculptured boot grips that SW has, but it's something to hold on to. :)

Lefty

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 06:38 PM
"As to trigger pulls, S&W has it all over any other brands"

I have had 4 J Frames and 6 LCR/LCRxs
The $850 360 had a 15 pound trigger pull and all the other J Frame triggers are a joke compared to the LCRs in my opinion. There is a longer reset with the LCR , but no current production snub comes close to the LCR trigger. I love my two 9mm LCRs and the rest of them as well. I like the stock grips. Get what works for you.

The LCR has a great trigger!

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Ed,

I have at ask something to clarify, is she going to be carrying this weapon or is it just for the house?

I read your original post and then the other and it has left me confused. Like a SW J Frame owner trying to pick out all the beautiful and functional stocks that is readily available for them. :)

Lefty

FergusonTO35
04-20-2017, 09:34 PM
I examined the LCRX and comparable J frames side by side at the fun store the other day, all NIB with original grips. I thought the LCRX had a better double action pull, more visible sights, and had a more substantial feel to it. For a range use or open carry gun I would probably choose it over the S&W, my previous gripes about the grips notwithstanding. The S&W's definitely are more concealable in my judgment. Every bit of fat has been trimmed from them and the grips are fairly compact with a slick surface. I think the S&W's have a better single action pull if that matters to you.

I shot my 637 some after work today, the little pocket rocket didn't disappoint! Jerry Miculek's technique really works with this gun, if you think your snub is hard to shoot you should give it a try.

John Allen
04-20-2017, 09:59 PM
I have the 3" Ruger. I bought it for backpacking. I really like it. Trigger is a little heavy but oh well.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-20-2017, 10:16 PM

Edward
04-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the help , I hope this works as I just installed these grips and she says they fit . More money than I thought but if mouse fart loads work for her than its all good and if not I think I could get used to a snubby /again thanks for the education ! 193706193707193708

Lefty Red
04-20-2017, 11:14 PM
The Ruger LCR in 327 Mag actually is a six shooter ...

Since sights were mentioned ... only a few of the many J frames have easily replaceable sights, and usually only the front sight. Of course if you want to grind/cut/drill/mill ... the sky is the limit ... the LCR & SP101 both are replaceable, but ... not interchangeable! BTW the SP and any J frame that has a pinned front sight, use the same one! Why didn't Ruger put the same sights on both of them, and use the same grip stud/peg???

I put XS standard dot night sights on both of these ... probably will go with the BIG dot on future guns ...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/20161019_140429-1_zpsqaejcvqb.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/ShawnTVT/media/Guns/20161019_140429-1_zpsqaejcvqb.jpg.html)

While I agree the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips I pictured in a few posts back, are larger than stock, I have extra large hands, and like bigger grips ... if you look at that other picture, you will notice that the 640 J frame is quite a bit larger than the LCR ... but if you compared a 642 to the LCR, it would be smaller! The 640 is also a 2 1/8" barrel, and rated for 357 mag, so it has to be beefier, but still smaller than the SP 101 ...

All J frames are not the same size, or weight ... S&W currently offer 46 different version, and have many more that were made in the past, that are no longer made ...while most S&W's have the stupid pc lock, you can find some models that still (or again!) Are made without a lock!

Some of the LCR's also reportedly had a lock under the grip, mine doesnt! SP 101 doesn't have a built in lock!

I do not know why the barrel is cut down to 1.87"! Wish the cheaper Air weights had the option for a 2.5" barrel. But with modern powders, the velocity loss isn't as bad as I would have thought. Most +p loads still give 850-925 fps from a short barrel.

And yes, except for some models (360 comes to mind), the j frames just have that ramp and no aftermarket option! Crazy!

I still have a Hi Viz front sight for a LCR. Just waiting for the right one.

P Flados
04-21-2017, 01:56 AM
My wife has real issues with both gun weight and with trigger / hammer effort for either single or double action.

We handled a few and she was OK with an LCRX. A big plus was a good trigger and it was the lightest adjustable sight 38 revolver we saw.

She likes the low weight, but this translates into more kick. I found that her ability to shoot more than a few was an issue if they were not real low on recoil.

I worked up "extra low recoil" ammo. Boolit weight made a big difference. I ended up using my smallest mold that would drop a 0.357" boolit, a 110 grain Lee round nose. I lube with BLL and it shoots good with either 2.8 gr of Promo (same as Red Dot) or 2.5 gr of TiteGroup. They really do recoil a lot less than heavier boolits.

One thing item for a gun that you want to load up for "extra low recoil" loads is the sights. My experience is that you can expect small / light handguns to have bigger changes in point of impact with different loads. The LCRX shoots much lower with the light boolits than medium or heavy boolits. I had to adjust the sights all the way up to get to shoot where pointed with the 110s. I was glad I went for the adjustable sights as I did not want to either settle for heavier than desired boolits or "customizing" the gun (changing or filing down the front sight).

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-21-2017, 08:06 AM
...s ;)

psweigle
04-21-2017, 08:36 AM
They would be on my short list, if Ruger made it a 6 shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk actually, the 327 federal IS a six shooter.

Wayne Smith
04-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Ed,

That looks nice, is it a Model 36? In 38 Special?

Just remember that lighter weight boolits will recoil less, so will lighter weight powder charges ;)

And they leave the barrel sooner, so less barrel rise, so they shoot lower!

Lefty Red
04-21-2017, 09:30 AM
actually, the 327 federal IS a six shooter.

Yep! Now I just have to find one. :)

psweigle
04-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Yep! Now I just have to find one. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkyou and me BOTH!!!!

Edward
04-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Ed,

That looks nice, is it a Model 36? In 38 Special?

Just remember that lighter weight boolits will recoil less, so will lighter weight powder charges ;) 637/trigger bobbed Wyatt deep cover/S+W Performance center