PDA

View Full Version : Ruger No 1 sight base/ramp

stillhunter
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM
I have a Ruger No1 light sporter in 45=70. Tried a Burris scope on it and ran outta left windage. Upon closer examination found the ramp/base assy to be canted about 10 degrees left, The ramp was removed by some past owner as the screws show the wear. Has anyone else had this problem, and what suggestion for a fix would you have? This gun is too nice to be a closit queen.

pietro
07-12-2008, 09:00 AM
If it was my rifle, as a last resort (or maybe a first if the rib was truely off kilter) I would pull the rib, plumb the action side, then re-drill/tap the rib's screw holes in the new location.
The dowels are only needed for mounting a heavy scope, IMHO.

That is, only after double-checking that the rib top is/sin't in/out of square with the side of the action first.

You see, it could be that the scope is like some I've run across, that didn't have a whole lot of range in their adjustment(s) (one or both ways).
An EZ way to check would be to temporarily mount another scope of any type/kind/power, known to have a wide adjustment range.

Another option - if the rib is truely out of square - is to call Ruger. I'd be willing to bet that they'll stand behind any such factory defect - even on a used gun.
If the rib truely does need to be relocated, the old screw and dowel holes could be filled, but most probably will still be covered by the rib.
The old screw holes may have to be filled to enable the new one to be drilled if it's very close.

Heavy lead
07-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Consider buying some windage adjustable rings for it. I believe Millett makes them. Also you can use the Burris bases that will adapt the Ruger type slots on the quarter rib to Weaver style, then you can put Millett windage adjustable rings on those. I've used the Burris adapters before on a Number One 375 (to get proper eye relief) and they worked fine. Midway carries them.

scb
07-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Send it back to Ruger. They'll fix it, probably for free, probably by replacing the barrel. That is if it's a factory screw-up. If it isn't then it may cost you but having it right is much easier than band aid fixes. It sounds to me like there is more than just over rotation involved here. If it were just that than it shouldn't be any different than a rifle with a side mounted scope.

twotrees
07-12-2008, 10:39 AM
The best way to get a Ruger to shoot better is to get rid of the rib and replace it with the barrel mounted block used on the "V" varmint models.

The rib, if your keeping it, should never touch the receiver.

I have some V models that are great shooters and a 7X57 B model that will shoot with either of them.

The Guys are right, call Ruger first, explain the problem and they will make it right.
If not, I know a major stock holder in their company that might give you a hand in convincing them LOL.

Good Shooting,

stillhunter
07-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Thank you very much gentlemen. I have a Leupold VX ii that I can mount, as a test. Good idea on checking the receiver to the ramp. I will do that. If it is as far out as I think, it will go back to Ruger. I want to hunt deer with the 405 grain cast bullet in this gun. The first shot is the one that matters. It's probably as fast to load as my Springfields..... Wonder if they can get it back to me by hunting season.

scb
07-13-2008, 11:50 AM
"Wonder if they can get it back to me by hunting season." I wouldn't waste a lot of time. Time's get'n short.

Shooter6br
07-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Planning to buy a Ruger No 1 Med sporter(wish it was a bit heavier) for cast bullets. Any comments on the rifle? Is S.S version worththe extra bucks> Or just a personal choice? Thansk Rick "Be careful to aim and aim to be careful"

stillhunter
07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Shooter6br, Its an absolutly beautiful gun, a great contrast to the 38-55 H&R that I wasted too much time on. I am working on a load with 405 grain cast as the twist on both the Ruger and my Marlin 1895 are the same and favor ther heavier weight. So far, I have gotten great results at 50 yds with 27 grains of 4227 with the 405 in the Marlin. I am going to shoot the Ruger with the Leupold glass and will let you know.

Shooter6br
07-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Selling my Pedersoli RB for a Ruger No 1 Reason is two fold.1) I dont shoot Action cowboy 2) I need a scope although I get 3/4 in groups( not all the time) with handloads.Varget 42g with 350 Ranchdogs. Like the classic blue but the S.S with laminate is tempting. Even with a Lee Shaver adjustable eye disc. I have to pick a sunny day to shoot. At the club the sun is behind the targets and lowers the contrast.Fun gun but time to move on (some may say down) to the Ruger.I shoot for fun . Cast my own and make may own bullet lube. Thanks Rick( oh sold all my BR guns hence the SN Shooter6BR)

stillhunter
07-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Oddly enuf, got two three shot groups in the 10 ring of the NRA 100yd small bore target with the Marlin 1897 at 100yds. The Ruger doesn't seem to like the load. They are supposed to have the same twist! 27.5 grains of 4227 and the 405 cast pb. Gonna try the Ruger sans forend as there seem to be issues with the bedding, mine's tight. Wish the Marlin had a better trigger, but it will do for deer. If it was simple, it wouldn't be fun..!!