PDA

View Full Version : 1st try berm mining

10 ga
04-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Over weekend delivered current "build" to the cerakote applicator. Well, on way home stopped by a range and as no shooters about did a bit of berm mining. Went to the 50 yd shotgun berm and started. Had a new 12" X 18" sieve with 1/4" wire and a shovel. Recent rain had left a layer of lead on surface, exposed. Well scraped the surface and sieved away. In hour had a 4 gallon bucket well over 1/2 full. Came on home and weighed out at 101 lbs. Raw "ore" is 40% buckshot, 30% slugs, 10% 22rf, 20% jacketed bullets mostly from sabot loads. Biggest surprise was a number, 12 or 15, of very hard, I think they are copper, full size shotgun slugs of FP structure I'm guessing LEO stuff for breaching, vehicle and structure assaults.

Any guesses on likely hardness number when I get it into ingots? There were not any of what we would recognize as "cast boolits" in that berm. Any guesses on the hard slugs?

Well I consider it a good find and plan to go back, perhaps when a bit dryer as the rain made sifting a chore due to wet dirt. Now to wash, dry and "refine" the "ore" and look at another pile of shining ingots..
Retirement is fun!

Hope all well, 10

Dusty Bannister
04-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Good selection of recovered metal. Unless you prefer to waste the fuel heating up the water remaining after washing the lead, just let it dry and sift it again. Dirt will float with the first skimming when melting in a batch. With the unknown slugs, why put them in the pot. You might trash your efforts by putting something unwanted in the pot. If curious as to what it is, melt off a drip and send it for scanning and quit with the guessing game. It might be great stuff, or junk. At least you will know in the future whether it is worth bringing home or not. Enjoy the treasure hunt.

runfiverun
04-03-2017, 12:33 PM
probably around 7-8 bhn

fredj338
04-03-2017, 03:00 PM
I shoot a lot of ranges scrap form outdoor berms. It seems to come in around 10bhn, but can vary with a lot of jacketed stuff & go a bit softer.

tomme boy
04-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Sort the copper slugs. They are usually 1 oz of solid copper. Take them and the jackets to the scrap yard for cash

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Remington made a slug of solid copper that was designed for the three (I think) petals to break off and make their own wound channels. This was for a sabot round. I think breaching rounds are of sintered zinc and tin. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't follow that ammo much at all.

dbosman
04-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Typically 10-12 BHN