PDA

View Full Version : More of you need to make your own!

Fly
04-02-2017, 10:44 PM
So many get into black powder shooting for the what is was in the past. We find a new world as to what
is was in the day. You find these old rifles were much better than you ever dreamed. But many do not
realize we can make as good or better black powder as they had in the day, at a fraction the cost today.

Cast Boolits has the best tread on the entire net as how to make your own BP at home for a fraction of the cost.
There is no better feeling than hearing your first shot with powder you made yourself. Check out the thread above.
There is no other site that has as much info on the net, in the entire world on this subject.:p

Fly

rancher1913
04-03-2017, 10:29 AM
agree with you 100% and have a question that I have been meaning to ask the homemade crowd.

when I made a batch years ago I boiled the chicken doo in my homemade drawoff tank and got the middle part and then ran it through the wood ashes to filter it and ended up with ok salt peter but it was a pita, could a person jest let a tank of water and chicken poo set for awhile and then draw off the liquid and let it evaporate and end up with usable salt peter or is the whole boiling thing mandatory.

dondiego
04-03-2017, 10:47 AM
You can get good quality potassium nitrate (saltpeter) for $5 per pound and often less if bought in bulk, so unless you want to go the chikpoo route it is better to just buy it. Fly sells some darn good willow charcoal and a 2 piece puck maker at very reasonable prices also. Sulfur can be had from the same sources as the saltpeter.

Fly
04-03-2017, 11:51 AM
I think Hobby Chemicals has potassium nitrate at $3.50 a lb the last I looked.
Here is our own Fishingsetx is short video of shooting his first batch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLLAtB4nME&feature=youtu.be
Fly

OverMax
04-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Black Powder making has a addiction. A quest so to speak for its maker. " Always on the scout to make his powder >better than< its prior batch."

rancher1913
04-03-2017, 03:03 PM
I realize you can buy the salt peter but the whole point is to make your own and I am setting on a metric **** ton of chicken poo. in the olden days farmers paid taxes with salt peter that they made from their niter beds and I want to simplify the process if possible, hence the soak and evaporate verses the boil and filter.

Fly
04-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Most salt peter in the 1850-60 came from bat caves.

Fly

stubshaft
04-04-2017, 01:11 AM
I'm prolly going to have to go that route as there is absolutely no real black in my neck of the woods...With the exception of the last 6lbs. that I have stashed.

dondiego
04-04-2017, 10:21 AM
I think Hobby Chemicals has potassium nitrate at $3.50 a lb the last I looked.
Here is our own Fishingsetx is short video of shooting his first batch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqLLAtB4nME&feature=youtu.be
Fly
That is a cheaper route also, if you need stump remover!

Fly
04-04-2017, 12:30 PM
I'm prolly going to have to go that route as there is absolutely no real black in my neck of the woods...With the exception of the last 6lbs. that I have stashed.

Well I will only shoot real black. I just can't bring myself to shoot the fake stuff. Years back gun shops quit handling Black powder
around me. They said they could not afford the insurance increase as to how much they sold. I hate paying haz mat charges.

Being I was making fireworks at the time I thought why not use what I was making at the time in my guns. Well a long story on
that. But I had to do many things different for gun powder. But now I have all I want at a fraction the cost.

Fly