PDA

View Full Version : 22TCM9R and the Lee Bator

ThaDoubleJ
04-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Looking at doing an 80% Glock with a 22TCM9R slide on it. The bullet that Armscor uses is about 39gr, RNHP, and most of it is in the case. It's not available commercially. I picked up some dies last week, and the gentleman included a few cases, one of which I stuck a Bator in, perfect fit and plenty of room between the ogive and the case mouth. I wonder if it'll work though. I experimented with the Bator in my FN FiveseveN, and it slung a few of them sideways at 25 feet. A friend of mine tried a longer OAL, and reported round holes. I found a Lyman 225450 that works much better in the FsN, and gave up on the Bator idea. I believe the 9R barrel has a slightly slower twist than the FsN, so the length and weight of the Bator concerns me, so I'm hoping someone here has tried it. It's been tried in the standard 22TCM setup, but it looked to me like the powders being used were too fast, and the results unsatisfactory. If it does turn out that it's too long or too heavy, I've also heard of someone having the top milled off a Bator mold and eliminating the gas check shank, which I'd be willing to try, and then switch from lubed and checked to coated bullets. I checked in over on the TCM board, got no hits and they suggested I check in over here. Let me know what you all think, thanks.

E_Nibz
12-25-2017, 03:34 PM
I’m in the same boat as you (Glock slide, poly frame), I think I saw your post on the 22 tcm forum. Anyways I have been waiting for weeks to get approved for that forum. More importantly how did you get that mold and what coating did you use?

Traffer
12-25-2017, 04:49 PM
I think that you would do better to bore out the small portion of the mold that makes the gas check narrowing. Personally I would cut out all the grooves. Just creates less bearing surface for a pc'd bullet. There are several threads that discuss losing grooves for pc bullets here.

skeeter2
12-26-2017, 01:17 PM
You have to seat the bullets really deep in the 9r to get them in the Glock magazine. I don’t think you will get near factory velocity. The factory loads stick in the chamber and won’t eject. The bullets are dirt cheap from ammosupply warehouse. $60 a thousand, so I think your time is better spent elsewhere.

E_Nibz
12-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately I haven’t seen them in stock since the beginning of November. As of now powder coated stubby cast bullets are now my my only option due to my states new ammo laws. And worse yet I haven’t been able to find the proper mold