PDA

View Full Version : Took dad out shooting

michael.birdsley
04-01-2017, 11:16 PM
Dad and I were supposed to go sucker fishing today. But, with all of the recent rain the river we were going to fish was blown out. So I asked if he wanted to go to the conservation club to shoot and he said yes. Dad deer hunts but, he falls into the 90% of Michigan hunters. the 90% usually in October or the day before Fire arm deer season roll up to the range or gravel pit. Un case the rifle shoot three times to recheck zero and call it good and maybe one more on a deer clean gun and put away untill the day before next years deer season.
Any how we shot my savage 325c .30-.30, ruger sr9c, and my Iver Johnson .38 s&w. I only have reloaded ammo any more so that is what we used. This is the first time anybody but my self has shot my reloads. I know they are good I take my time and do things right but, boy I was still really nervous. Everything went off with out a hitch, which I am glad. We were able to mess around for 4 hours and only cost myself about 15 bucks. He seemed impressed with the reloads even though, I don't think he really understands it. The sr9e did bit him a couple times however, I think they may have been his first time shooting a auto loading pistol. As ice cube said "today was a good day"
End of rambling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad Cayton
04-02-2017, 06:00 AM
That's a great way to spend the day, shooting with your dad. My pap wouldn't even shoot before the season opener most of the time. He used a Savage 340C, 30/30 and had the same box of shells for years. Took his buck every year with one round, wiped the 340 down and put it up for next year. "Wasting shells", according to him:D. Glad you got to spend time with your dad.

gwpercle
04-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Don't let it be the last time, all too soon the man that was always there is gone and these memories will be dear to you. Take him shooting again, soon. I bet he enjoyed it more than you did.
My Dad thought my reloading hobby was something mad scientist did , at first . Then he started appreciating the free ammo.
When I was in high school I told him a Lee Basic Loader was $9.99 and with it I could make nearly free ammo, but I was broke.
He wasn't 100% sure of my story but he gave me a $20.00 bill , for any extra stuff needed and the warning " Don't tell your mother"
Gary

Toymaker
04-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Amen, Gary. My dad was in a bad way but every weekend we'd go for a ride someplace as I tried to stimulate his interest. One day we wound up at my range. He walked the line and watched for a while but it wasn't holding his interest. I unloaded my rifle case and he watched as I opened it up. When he saw my Garand he gently picked it up and took it to the bench. Then he got into my range box and started picking stuff out. Then he proceeded to take it completely apart, cleaned it, inspected everything, lubed it and put it back together. Then he asked me how it shot, so I got out a couple of enblocs and put them on the table. At 100 yards he put the first shot in the 10 ring and the next 7 in the 1.5 inch X ring. He looked up and said "These aren't mil spec." "No, pop. They're my reloads." He spent a couple of hours shooting 50 rounds, bench, standing, sitting, prone ..... he was moving better than he had in months and was enjoying every moment. Then he spent an hour cleaning, smiling every minute.

A week later he was in the hospice and I lost him a week after that.

dondiego
04-02-2017, 12:37 PM
In 1963 when I was 12 years old, my father bought me my first deer rifle. It was a Savage Mod. 325 in 30-30. He paid $25 for it used and then paid another $25 to have a Williams receiver sight put on it. I still have that rifle and I still have my dad. He is 91 and still gets a turkey or two every year. Memories..............

xringshutr
04-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Great stories gentlemen. My dad and I go on at least one, sometimes 2-3 squirrel hunts every fall. Same woods every time. We usually get 3-5 nice fox squirrels. They are great fall mornings that I cherish.
I took him to a M1 Garand and Military bolt action match yesterday. He shot his Garand very well for not being used to getting into a jacket and sling. Very enjoyable day. We will do it again soon.
Take advantage of the time you have......

Harry Tobin
04-02-2017, 05:22 PM
I’m glad to hear good time stories of father and son, take him out and let him enjoy time with you. Time is limited thing, been 28 years past for me and dad was a WW2 vet. Not to many of them left, but 3 years before he past he bought me a Dillon Square Deal B for my birthday. Yeah good guy and good father, enjoy the time while you have it

Boolseye
04-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Dad and I were out at the range the other day. It can be a tough relationship, but it's worth making it right. I never give up and he doesn't either. We almost lost him a couple years ago and that made it all the more clear. Time is precious. He taught me how to shoot when I was a kid and how to reload with a lee Loader for my 30-30. I bought him him his first press about five years ago and he never looked back, reloads just about everything he shoots and I cast for both of us. It has brought us closer together, and that alone is reason enough for me.
Thanks for the thread.
-BE

michael.birdsley
04-03-2017, 03:11 AM
It was a good day. Dad and I are probably closer now in the last year and a half since my parents were divorced when I was 7 ( I am the oldest).My wife and i moved back to the area so that helps being closer to my dad and his side of the family. I have forgiven him for the past and I wish my brother and two sisters would. Im not making excuses for him but, i wish they would forgive him now instead of it being to late. He is only 57 but, things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copdills
04-03-2017, 06:25 AM
good on you Sir: great day out with dad he will never forget

bedbugbilly
04-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Sounds like you had a great day! Times like that is what it's all about. it can be hard to "mend fences" and everyone has to walk their own path in regards to that . . but you have your priorities right and good for you. Treasure the good times and repeat them often and make good memories. I'm a bit older than your Dad, but I can tell you that my Dad has been gone now for 22 years now and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him. Hopefully your brothers will come around at some point . . . . one of God's greatest gifts to us is the ability to forgive . . .

Thumbcocker
04-03-2017, 09:03 AM
It is amazing to see the old veterans pick up an M1. They might not know what day it is or who the president is but when they pick up that rifle they stand a little straighter and their hands go exactly where the drill sgt. put them 70 odd years ago.

Texas by God
04-03-2017, 01:08 PM
True- Dad was a stateside nurse during Korea and was never a gun guy but he knew how to strip an M1 when I handed him mine many years back. He shoots skunks with his short 20 ga single shot and shoots cans in the backyard with his S&W 2-1/2" M66.

45-70 Chevroner
04-03-2017, 02:06 PM
Do I detect some tears out there. My dad was a WW 2 vet he left way to early he was 69 in 1986 when he passed. He wasn't much of a shooter but he retired as Under Sheriff in Pinal County Arizona. I have his service revolver a S&W Highway Patrol 357. I took him out to shoot a month before he passed. Miss him a lot.

I typed 68 instead of 86. My dad was born in 1916.